Trusted Contributor

I've been asked to bring a dish to share at a weekend reunion.  We will travel a minimum of 6 hours in the heat to a bit of a remote location (no large grocery stores in the area).  All that I can think of is cookies or dinner rolls/croissants.  Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Respected Contributor

You can take anything you want in a cooler.  Potato salad, pasta salad, fried chicken, etc.

Honored Contributor

How about a dessert like a cake or something non-perishable?  A salad or cold dish could be taken in an ice chest.  A crock pot full of food could be chilled in the fridge, put in an ice chest for the trip then heated before dinner (be sure to take the cord).

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

To expand on @spumoni99's post a "cooler" also retains heat so something like baked beans should travel well if kept in the cooking vessel and wrapped in foil.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I've been asked to bring a dish to share at a weekend reunion.  We will travel a minimum of 6 hours in the heat to a bit of a remote location (no large grocery stores in the area).  All that I can think of is cookies or dinner rolls/croissants.  Any ideas would really be appreciated.

@mac116 

This is tricky .........   I like the idea of cookies, rolls, and any packaged items that won't spoil, spill or leak.  And avoid containers that need to be washed and taken home.  

Personally, I would buy, rather than make something.  Depending on the time of day, you could always get a bottle of red wine, too, I suppose.   

Respected Contributor

A massive amount of rice krispie treats and a case of individual waters.

Respected Contributor

@mac116 I would not stress about taking anything that requires special care.

I would take two kinds of cookies. Plain sugar cookies, or chocolate chip, or both. For a salad, I would take two or three watermelons and a knife. That way you can enjoy the day and know no one got sick from your offerings.

Honored Contributor

I had to bring something to a backyard wedding once believe it or not.   What I did was visit a local bakery and bought a few dozen pretty cupcakes.  I just kept them in the boxes as I picked them up that morning laying them all side by side in the trunk.  All was well with that.  My drive was 3 hours.

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

This is tricky .........   I like the idea of cookies, rolls, and any packaged items that won't spoil, spill or leak.  And avoid containers that need to be washed and taken home.  

Thanks.  I really didn't want to bring a cooler, or containers that I would need to keep track of during the clean up.

I also like the idea of a few bottles of wine.

I welcome all ideas, since I don't usually have such a unique set of circumstances.

Honored Contributor

You can transport cooked food in a crock pot or pressure cooker.