Esteemed Contributor

Fresh Asparagus Is My Favorite. What's Yours?

We drove out to Lancaster yesterday and hit up several farm stands. Nearly all had fresh asparagus. Not inexpensive, but so delicious. When I was growing up, we had a large asparagus bed. I remember going out every week in early Spring and looking for first signs of the spears. There is nothing like fresh-cut asparagus. I roasted these at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes (they were medium thickness). Probably my favorite vegetable. Do you have a favorite spring veggie?

Honored Contributor

Re: Fresh Asparagus Is My Favorite. What's Yours?

My favorite too, steamed with some butter and lemon juice.  That and strawberries are the best of Spring.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I agree....fresh asparagus with butter and lemon. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom, I love to roast asparagus with a little EVOO, salt, and pepper. 

Honored Contributor

I never liked asparagus till I tried it roasted .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Fresh blue lake green beans cooked with bacon and onions.

Valued Contributor

I love asparagus. Steamed with plenty of butter. Fresh strawberries and corn on the cob in season. I do wish you could tell if asparagus is stringy by looking at it. Spoiles it.

Esteemed Contributor

@frenchie  I think asparagus is going to always be stringy down towards the cut end. If you don't like that texture, cut the asparagus crosswise into smaller pieces. That should make it easier to eat.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop  Blue Lake Bush are my favorite green beans. I'll never forget that year the crop of Blue Lake 47 failed. I planted other kinds, but it wasn't the same. Now they have new 47 style, and things are better. For a while there, I thought the world was coming to an end! I like them just steamed in butter and salt, but bacon and onions green beans sounds like a star!

Honored Contributor

I love fresh asparagus, but have to admit I am a vegetable person.  I just love veggies, even the ones most people hate...like lima beans and turnips.

I can't think of a favorite.  I love them all.