Honored Contributor

Re: frustration with negative some negative reviews

@stevieb wrote:

@ruthbe wrote:

I'm actually just venting.  I feel the reviews should be about the quality of the product and if they like or dislike the product.  Whether its beauty, clothing, or anything else.  Personally that is what the reviews help me regarding a particular product. 

@ruthbe I tend to agree with you... And it also rankles when reviewers go on about how much they like, or don't, the color they chose but never say what it is... The focus should be on the item, but folks are going to talk about what resonates with them, for better or worse... 

Not only on QVC, but other websites-- I really dislike when someone reviews a lipstick, nail polish or any item and doesn't state the color they purchased.  They may say it is too pale for me; the color isn't as shown, etc. but does no good if you don't know what color.  Even worse if someone indicates they haven't even received the item.

I

Super Contributor

I think getting some negative reviews are beneficial for me when I am ready to purchase clothing, food, etc.  In the past I purchased some chicken TSV and should have read the reviews.  The items were tough and kind of stringy - not like a chicken breast that I would buy...Negative is good at times and so are the positive ones... Venting is not all that bad....

Honored Contributor

When reading reviews anywhere - QVC, Amazon, Yelp, Best Buy, BBB etc, I just mentally toss the idiocy in the round file; my brain can do that. I just completely ignore what’s not important to me or eejits with obvious “issues.” They’re everywhere today and reviewing lets them upchuck their “opinions” freely. Ugh.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I rarely pay attention to the reviews as far as helping me make a buying decision.  I find many of them worthless.  So many are from people who don't even own the product and I don't know why QVC allows that.

Then there are the reviews on items where the purchaser opens the product and runs to the computer to write a review about how pretty the color is, how soft the material, fit is perfect.  They've not worn or tried the item at all so what is the point of that review?  I don't care that you think the color is pretty or material soft.  Does it hold up or pill?  Does it wash well or shrink?

We also have all the discrepencies in reviews. You can read 100 reviews for a clothing item and some claim the item runs huge, others claim it runs small and others will state it's true to size. 

My favorite is when someone buys say a 3/4 length sleeve top and then says they are returning it because they hate 3/4 length sleeves.  Whaaat?

I  had to laugh at this since I just got done reading reviews of a dress I recently received from Amazon.

I need it for a holiday masquerade ball and the price was unbelievable.... So were the reviews and questions.

One person asked if the velvet crushed when sitting down. The only answer was "I don't know I haven't worn it yet". Another asked if it was suitable for breastfeeding (gee, can't you tell by the style and your own preferences?). It went on and on.

I really had to wonder about the demographic that had purchased this dress and gave it such high marks (over 500 five star reviews). To me, it is something of a "one and done" dress I will wear once for fun and then donate. It's certainly not the quality I would grant 5 stars to.

I do tend to read reviews, but not to make a final decision, because, let's face it, if I want it, I'll  buy it. LOL. Reviews do remind to look for certain things that I might otherwise overlook.

My pet peeve with reviews are those who complain about it arriving wrinkled and sending it back because of that. Good golly.

Esteemed Contributor

HSN, will not even let you review a product unless five days have passed since receipt. I wanted to review a 3Liter of The Perlier Golden Almond Shower gel once I received it in October. I had already used a smaller bottle of the product from earlier in the year and I knew that I loved it. I had not left an earlier review so I wanted to give my opinion. Nope.. their system stopped me.

I always make a point to read through the reviews and disregard the ones that make no sense. Automatic dismissals are one's that discuss pricing (well you knew what it cost before you purchased).  It took too long to receive the product or it was damaged in shipping. What does that have to do with the product? and so on.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

My standards regarding the reviews have lowered.  I'm just happy when the person writing the review has actually bought and received the product.  Writing a worthwhile review is a bonus.

@faeriemoon @Pecky

ITA....I just hate the reviews that state...."I just know I will love it when I receive it".....QVC even asks the question, have you received the product?   Reviews where the products havent been received shouldnt even be posted!!!1 

I absolutely agree. I was reading the review of the Philosophy TSV and some gave it a 1 because Living Grace was not included? That is not the forum to complain about what scents were included!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

My favorite is when someone buys say a 3/4 length sleeve top and then says they are returning it because they hate 3/4 length sleeves.  Whaaat?

@Lipstickdiva

One of my favorites is those who return items because they don't like the color or style, says the style (ruffles, lace, high/loe neck) "not their thing").  Wondering if these people don't watch the presentation, look at the item online or just complain?

One of my "pet peeves" is people who submit questions in the "Ask a Question" section about the item and the answer is in the description, or 3 'asked and answered' on same question.  I actually saw an answer posted by someone who said "Did you read the description?" and "In the description it says..."  Many times questions can be answered by googling it.

Valued Contributor

Just yesterday I was showing my Husband the reviews of LightStim therapy Light Device.We own it and love it.I wrote a review about it..I was showing reviews of people who say I used it once  for 10 minutes and nothing happened..I didn't like the handle.it goes back.. I had to hold it on my shoulder no good.i'm sending it back So, many gave it 1 Star for all these idiotic reasons never getting into if it ACTUALLY WORKS which is why many would look at the reviews for.. ...We both looked at each other and said these reviews are so stupid.. We own it and use it and it Actually Works for us. It takes time,it's not a QUICK FIX..If you take the time ..you will reap the benefits.How does QVC allow such silly reviews.? 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I  had to laugh at this since I just got done reading reviews of a dress I recently received from Amazon.

I need it for a holiday masquerade ball and the price was unbelievable.... So were the reviews and questions.

One person asked if the velvet crushed when sitting down. The only answer was "I don't know I haven't worn it yet". Another asked if it was suitable for breastfeeding (gee, can't you tell by the style and your own preferences?). It went on and on.

I really had to wonder about the demographic that had purchased this dress and gave it such high marks (over 500 five star reviews). To me, it is something of a "one and done" dress I will wear once for fun and then donate. It's certainly not the quality I would grant 5 stars to.

I'm ranked in the Top 500 reviewers at Amazon, I'm also a Vine reviewer. A lot of those Amazon reviews - such as the over 500 5 star reviews you mention - those reviewers are members of coupon clubs....we in Vine call them "coupon queens". They get free stuff under the table by being members of Facebook clubs...and are told by the club "owners" that to get more free stuff they have to write 5 star reviews. Amazon has been cracking down on this but the moment they get rid of those types of reviews, even more appear. It's a never-ending battle.  Vine is actually run by Amazon and those are the only ones that can "legally" be put up - It says in a green banner "Vine Customer Review of Free Product". We can give items 1 star without fear of being kicked out of Vine.

So being in Vine, I also do most of my shopping at Amazon. When I'm looking to buy an item, I check to see if there are any of those coupon queen reviews and refuse to buy those items, no matter how much I may want it.

Reviews in general I don't take much stock in the low ratings on Electronics items. Especially those here at QVC. There are so many people who order these things that don't know a thing about tech stuff - and also dumb people who shouldn't be reviewing these items in the first place.