Super Contributor

I agree. Many of the greatest vendors and hosts are now gone. I like all hosts, but still the happiness of watching is no longer there for me.

Esteemed Contributor
I have been a QVC customer since the beginning. There is no doubt it has changed. From the frendly hosts we now have hard core pitchmen and women. From interesting, unusual products, we now have out-of-date technology and years' old leftovers. It seems the powers-that-be are most interested in short-term gain, hauling in customers who are unaware of the latest in technology, fashion, cooking, etc. QVC no longer seems to be focused on developing long term customers. If someone discovers their purchase is less than ideal, QVC will move on to the next sucker. It's insulting and short sighted.
Super Contributor
I agree. I used to love to watch and the holidays because it felt kind of homey. Niw it must doesnt have the same appeal.
Honored Contributor

I can deal with almost any host if the products being offered are of interest. Thus I'm not watching much Q these days.

Respected Contributor
Sometimes I think they only appeal to new members. I have a friend who ""discovered"" QVC after putting me down for shopping here. She just thinks it's great! I told her she really missed the good jewelry and good hosts of yesteryear. I think it will never be the same and I'm hoping that another shopping channel becomes what QVC used to be.
Honored Contributor

I agree that newer viewers might well be more enamored of QVC than some of us who have been around for a while and have seen pretty much all they apparently intend to present and to offer... Retail can only stay stagnant for so long and people move on. While I understand that unlike a different kind of retail operation, QVC can't change merchandise constantly they could do a better job. More importantly, they could diversify the programming over and above the same brands and items ALL THE TIME, and at no time has that been more glaring than during this holiday shopping season.

I agree, it used to be a pleasure to watch and the hosts used to be more personable. I suspect those are changes implemented by management who wanted to foster a harder sell and a more 'sophisticated' approach... both serious mis-steps in my book.

As for hosts going through the motions, how could they not. They're well compensated for sure, but they are constantly being asked to present the same items over and over and over. There is no way to give a fresh presentation of an item you've presented dozens of times year after year...

Someone mentioned a new management team... Where? I see where a couple of Vice Presidents have changed and one can only hope those changes do make a difference, but it appears key personnel remain in place and positions have been filled from inside, which would lead one to wonder if these aren't people already steeped 'in the Q way'. If they are, or if they aren't permitted to make key changes in operations, strategy, merchandising, buying, inventory and so on, then it'll be hard to make any real and so necessary changes.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

I started watching Q when I was up in the middle of the night with my younger son (he's now 28, so that tells you I'm a real veteran). What I found so appealing then, and what seems to be missing now, was twofold. One, the company did their best to replicate the original Avon lady concept -- where a neighborhood friend would knock on your door with her samples and catalogs, you'd visit over coffee, try out some of the samples and buy yourself a little something special. The hosts made every effort to relate to the viewer as though they were our neighbors. It was pleasant and made you feel comfortable with them and willing to beliee what they were telling you. Good for sales, good for the viewer. Two, considerable effort was made to have a wide variety of product available, and products you couldn't easily find for yourself - regional specialities, artisanal products, interesting and innovative items from little start-up companies. You could...gasp... learn something when you watched. Sure not every item worked well with a tv audience, and some things you saw once or twice and never again. But many were a hit. And new things were constantly being brought in to replace the ones who didn't do well.

Granted, much time has passed and shopping is much different now. We even buy Avon online now and Amazon can get you almost anything your heart desires from anywhere in the world. But that's no reason for Q to stagnate. You can still engage the viewers and keep them from surfing the web. On television you, can demonstrate the item, the shopper can get a really good look at the item, inside and out, you can judge size, shape, color, etc. by seeing it handled and displayed against the human form. If they are trained right, the presenters and hosts can anticipate your possible questions and answer them on the spot. When they've interested the viewer, make the purchasing decision as easy as possible. Offer more installment payments, allow combined shipping on similar items. Entice the customer to purchase, don't throw up impediments like super high shipping. Charge a little more on the base price if you must. People will shell out a few more dollars in many cases because they trust your return policy. For instance, I've willingly paid a little more for certain items at Costco for years because their return policy and customer service was so stellar. I was willing to pay a bit more upfront, knowing if there was an issue they'd take good care of me.

But the worst and most egregious thing you've done recently is use the holiday season as a vehicle to clean out your warehouse with a short list of stale products, last year's models, and old inventory 'turkeys' at little to no discount and with little to no shopper incentives.

I'd love to see a Q that went toe-to-toe with the other electronic and online retailers, offering good deals, reasonable shipping, expert customer service (no 'too many returns' letters after urging customers to return anything they didn't like), cutting edge products, and fewer things I can buy at the grocery store or the drugstore's 'as seen on tv' shelf.

Respected Contributor

I think the Q used to try to please its customers with a variety of interesting products that were good quality. It used to be the place where I would spend most of my dollars. You could get unusual collectors items, such as carved wooden duck decoys to beautiful decorative Victorian items for the home. Its gold jewelry selection was second to none!!! Now, it seems like they will air hours and hours of the same lame stuff--whatever brings in the bucks. They basically have said to heck with the viewer!!! I never watch anymore!

Valued Contributor
On 12/9/2014 sashamatthews said:

I posted this on another thread, but I believe what you are seeing now are products selected under the previous management team. I can only think the new management team is reading these forums, reading Facebook, watching HSN - totally looking for a new selling style to keep QVC current. The 20-somethings aren't buying here, but we mature women sure are if the price is right. I agree - get on the free shipping bandwagon, have a $9.95 shipping charge day (for instance, you could buy 10 beauty items and they ship for a total of $9.95 if purchased on the same day), shake things up to match other online retailers' policies.

Yes we are! It's just a majority of the clothing lines are geared towards mature women. I love Nicole Richie and Seth Aaron's line but what keeps me from purchasing are the prices and shipping charges. (I'm lusting over Nicole's faux fur vest and really want her long sleeve maxi for xmas parties but I refuse to buy after looking at the final prices with shipping.) The only thing keeping me interested in QVC are the Wen kits and (very rarely) other beauty items. I posted this before but I often find myself purchasing from HSN because of their incredible clearance section or the deals they offer. I just got 3 awesome clothing items from Tiana B for under $50 total including shipping!

Super Contributor

I don't buy much but find it interesting to observe the evolution of QVC's marketing tactics; I used to enjoy watching quite a bit and even did a grad school project way back when on the difference between on-air production values of QVC and HSN. (still have the tapes somewhere).

What gets me is -- as the internet grew and QVC started losing its e-commerce niche, the one thing they still had going for them was the entertainment value, the spontaneity of live TV, the ability to educate the consumer about purchases (remember when they would practically give a geology lesson on the gemstone shows and would send the hosts to Brazil and whatnot to learn?) and the hosts' personalities -- all of which might keep shoppers coming back to see what was happening and sweep them along in a buying mood.

Instead of going "all in" with entertainment and amping up things like prize drawings, live studio events, gimmicks like the 50-in -50 tours or remote broadcasts, unusual products, the Q went the other way and became little more than an endless infomercial loop.

The hosts are scripted and rote, the easy conversational flow between host and vendor rep is long gone (Tara for example sounds like an auctioneer braying out her memorized talking points at top speed), elegance is down the drain in favor of chowing huge bites of food while happy dancing, the product assortment is narrowed, the vendor reps are fake -- just West Chester locals trained to tout a line of goods instead of the authentic executives or reps from the manufacturers -- and the fakeness shows. There is just nothing unexpected, lively or fun about the network.

And the hosts really used to seem excited during the holiday season, and little touches were added like putting the ornament on the onscreen graphics, etc. -- now they gloss over it and are just pushing products to armchair viewers of whom I bet 80 percent are buying for their own household.

For a merchant in some 100 million households nationwide, QVC sure is blowing it. I would love to get a crack at changing the product and programming mix for six months or a year and liven that joint up!