Regular Contributor

The difference between HSN and QVC hosts...

I watch both channels avidly, and I've noticed that I tend to prefer HSN hosts. I'm wondering whether that's a coincidence, or there really is something different in either who they hire or how they instruct them to behave at The Q vs. HSN. It does seem the HSN hosts are generally a little less concerned with being proper (and Lisa and Shawn are/were my two favorite QVC hosts, and they're both known for being silly and having a lot of fun on set). So maybe that's the difference, that Q trains its hosts to be more professional, only some of us don't like that. Similarly, Callie on HSN is one of my least favorite hosts, and I think it's because she always seems so "On," like she's trying really hard to be poised and proper and ladylike, which annoys me. She seems like she'd fit better on the Q.

Anyone else have thoughts on the differences between the two channels' hosts?

Honored Contributor

Re: The difference between HSN and QVC hosts...

Interesting comparison. To me, HSN has 2 fast-talking, hard-sell hosts: Bobbie Ray Carter and Amy Morrison. I think the Q has more. I like a more laid-back approach, and l think HSN has more of that style.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I honestly can't say. At one time I watched a fair amount of both, then pretty much exclusively QVC. These days, when I'm watching home shopping at all, more times than not, it's Evine... I too enjoyed Lisa, but most of the rest don't engage me enough to watch and neither does the programming or product line up.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Coleen Lopez is a cut-above, on either channel. She is my favorite host, although I don't watch HSN very often.

Regular Contributor

Funny you should say that, because in my head, the one I was thinking of as almost being a little too much at HSN is Bobbi. Maybe that's just because she's the last one I watched, I think, but she does almost seems like she's had too much caffeine. It at least seems natural for her, though. Same with Amy. To me, they just seem naturally enthusiastic, not like they're trying to be a certain way for TV. So maybe they're just good fakers. But some of the Q hosts seems like they're very much trying to be mannerly and proper and all that, and that's a turnoff for me. But you'll find plenty of users who hate Shawn's quirky style, so it's interesting how much views can differ.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2015 handygal said: Interesting comparison. To me, HSN has 2 fast-talking, hard-sell hosts: Bobbie Ray Carter and Amy Morrison. I think the Q has more. I like a more laid-back approach, and l think HSN has more of that style.

BRC, Amy and Shannon hard sale, and never let the vendor speak.

Regular Contributor

Yes, they are all quite enthusiastic. So is Colleen, but like Colonel Meow, I think she's great and seems genuine. It seems the HSN hosts are either trained better at feigning enthusiasm, or truly do just feel more passionately about their products.

I suppose it helps that - as discussed recently on another thread - HSN generally has much better prices than The Q, so you feel more in agreement with their hosts when they rave about the prices. As much as I like some of the QVC hosts, I can't help but roll my eyes a lot and talk back at the TV when they try to convince me what a great deal something is just because there are six easy-pays (doesn't mean it's cheaper!), or it's, like, $10 off a $300 bag I could get for half off at an online retailer.

Honored Contributor

It seems to me that the HSN hosts don't talk about their personal lives as much, e.g., sisters, children,etc., as the QVC people do. IMO they stick to the product and give better info with a minimum of extraneous chit chat.

Colleen, Shivan and Bill are 2 of my favorites on HSN. Can't pick anyone on the Q although there are several I find difficult to watch.

Regular Contributor

That's a good point, castlenv. I'll admit, as lame as some people think it is, I actually do find hearing about the hosts' lives entertaining. But no more so than I would about anyone else. It's not that I worship them or something; it's just interesting to hear about others' lives.

The flip side of that, though, is when they have to answer to all of America about something unpleasant. I was so anxious for Shawn on her first night back after her miscarriage (actually, her first few nights back - I was terrified a caller would bring it up, even though she said in her blog not to).

Trusted Contributor

To me, the Q hosts are more interested in trying to be TV personalities instead of just presenting the products. The HSN hosts seem more professional with a few exceptions.