Super Contributor

Re: The difference between HSN and QVC hosts...

Generally speaking I prefer HSN hosts. I find the heavy makeup and ratted hair styles in the Land of Qz distracting, as well as the thick smear of personality that they seem to have applied since the stepford criticisms of the past. Just be real. Mike Rowe you out there? - Bird

Trusted Contributor

Of all the hosts between the 2 channels,Shannon irritates me the most.
Honored Contributor

I like hosts from both channels, however on both channels there are some hosts who are too hard in selling......I prefer a more laid back easy going type personality like Colleen Lopez or even Heather Hall on Evine. I find the hosts on Evine to be more laid back than both QVC and HSN, but I think QVC hosts are more polished.....Callie Northagen used to be one of my favs but she just seems too phoney as well as Amy Morrison-whom I really liked in the begininng of her Beauty shows, but now she talks over the vendors and doesn't give pertinent information on the items.....I think QVC has the best hosts of all 3 channels as far as professionalism and being polished goes!!!!!

Honored Contributor

If you think HSN has more ""professional"" hosts you surely have not watched much. Helen Keeney often gets goofy with anyone she is with and there is a lot of snickering and laughing. She's a comedian and when she is on with Rhonda Shear any semblance of professionalism is gone! If you've ever witnessed a laughing meltdown of Colleens you would not think so either. The 2 on the morning show also get out of control frequently as well as many of the others. I like craziness and not boring presentations so it's fine with me. At one time QVC had such boring hosts and they were (with the exception of Kathy Levine) like stepford hosts.

Honored Contributor

I guess it depends on why one watches the shopping channels. I'm interested in the products and if they are interesting I'll watch. I don't understand calling a host "boring." If the subject is of interest and the host gives the pertinent information, I'll watch. Otherwise, I go elsewhere for my entertainment.

Super Contributor

Evine hosts are much calmer than the other 2 channels and that's more my speed. I love watching and listening to Heather.

Callie and Shannon are both a very hard sell. Quantity is always going fast and you'd better hurry before it's completely gone.

There are too many annoying hosts on QVC to even mention here. They don't stop for a breath. Geez.

Honored Contributor

On 3/29/2015 HomeShoppingLover87 said:

I watch both channels avidly, and I've noticed that I tend to prefer HSN hosts. I'm wondering whether that's a coincidence, or there really is something different in either who they hire or how they instruct them to behave at The Q vs. HSN. It does seem the HSN hosts are generally a little less concerned with being proper (and Lisa and Shawn are/were my two favorite QVC hosts, and they're both known for being silly and having a lot of fun on set). So maybe that's the difference, that Q trains its hosts to be more professional, only some of us don't like that. Similarly, Callie on HSN is one of my least favorite hosts, and I think it's because she always seems so "On," like she's trying really hard to be poised and proper and ladylike, which annoys me. She seems like she'd fit better on the Q.

Anyone else have thoughts on the differences between the two channels' hosts?

I find your comments baffling, OP. ..... Just what is so "annoying"? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

These women are SUPPOSED to be sales professionals, not minimum wage sales clerks ..... they certainly are paid a good wage, and no one wants goofy fools acting up when trying to make an informed decision regarding a purchase.

Care to explain what you meant? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Super Contributor

I've found myself really enjoying HSN more. I like that they don't spend FOREVER on one item...sometimes as a matter of fact, they move on faster than I can decide if I want to buy something.

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 jewelfool said:

I've found myself really enjoying HSN more. I like that they don't spend FOREVER on one item...sometimes as a matter of fact, they move on faster than I can decide if I want to buy something.

Have you ever watched their presentation of a TSV? Typically, it lasts for at least 30 minutes…sometimes a bit more. I do wish that on the craft shows, they'd allow more time for a bit of demo, rather than the host providing suggestions of how to use an item. But like you, I find myself enjoying HSN more and more. And QVC, less and less, sadly.

Regular Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 3/29/2015 HomeShoppingLover87 said:

I watch both channels avidly, and I've noticed that I tend to prefer HSN hosts. I'm wondering whether that's a coincidence, or there really is something different in either who they hire or how they instruct them to behave at The Q vs. HSN. It does seem the HSN hosts are generally a little less concerned with being proper (and Lisa and Shawn are/were my two favorite QVC hosts, and they're both known for being silly and having a lot of fun on set). So maybe that's the difference, that Q trains its hosts to be more professional, only some of us don't like that. Similarly, Callie on HSN is one of my least favorite hosts, and I think it's because she always seems so "On," like she's trying really hard to be poised and proper and ladylike, which annoys me. She seems like she'd fit better on the Q.

Anyone else have thoughts on the differences between the two channels' hosts?

I find your comments baffling, OP. ..... Just what is so "annoying"? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

These women are SUPPOSED to be sales professionals, not minimum wage sales clerks ..... they certainly are paid a good wage, and no one wants goofy fools acting up when trying to make an informed decision regarding a purchase.

Care to explain what you meant? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I don't think it's that confusing. Some people like me and a few other posters here prefer hosts who "keep it real," so to speak, and act more like they are in a casual setting with friends than a job interview. I personally don't get that irritated with the "goofy" antics because I usually find them funny (not always), and I also frequent the websites, so I can get the information I need there. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I often watch the shows just for entertainment and to see what's new and/or marked down, not looking for a specific product that I need to keep an ear out for.