Honored Contributor

Re: Pronunciation pet peeve

[ Edited ]

So much of that is regional. Words I can think of are: bagel, roof.

Honored Contributor

@baglady9 wrote:

I love all of the hosts but someone has to get after the lack of correct pronunciation on basic words. For example the word PATTERN. It drives me nuts when they say PATTERIN.  

@baglady9   I don't know where it originated -- that pronunciation of PATTERN where some make the N its own separate syllable -- but it's nothing new.  Just do an internet search and this has been heard for decades. 

There are different words with this same thing happening.  Why? I have no idea.  Perhaps it's regional.  

Honored Contributor

I have lived many, many years without a second thought about word pronunciation.  I am not concerned about it now either.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Frequent Contributor

How about Amy's thur, instead of their!

Valued Contributor

Saying words that begin with st, such as straight, sounding like scccrrraight.  Like they have a mouthful of saliva.

Regular Contributor

I can usually ignore regional or colloquial pronunciations.  But what drives me nuts is when someone who is supposed to "know" or be an expert about something mispronounces words that apply to that topic.  I've heard Q hosts who are presenting an item mispronounce words relating to the description of that item or some of the oddball color names used in fashion.  It makes the host seem unprepared.  The other instance that annoys me is when chefs mispronounce ingredients, such as saying "tumeric" instead of "tuRmeric".

Esteemed Contributor

Some of us are educators, and therefore, we do concern ourselves. Mispronunciation is not necessarily a pet peeve for me, just that I do know better, and so make a correction when called for. Hopefully, someone else (and they already have!) can correct me.

No, not regional slang or drawing out vowels, or anything like that.

There's been a push lately (it seems) that the pronunciation of towns and places have accepted changes, too.

Contributor

I know exactly who you are talking about. I can't watch her presentations because of that.

Trusted Contributor

"Joolery" instead of jewelry.

Valued Contributor

Where is constant correctness in language a requirement? 

Actually there are many places of business that require  proper grammar, pronunciation and accurate spelling. Yes -every day, all the time.