Esteemed Contributor

Drives me crazy when the word picture is mispronounced and is

said pitcher.

Hear the word important always said wrong too on QVC.

Regular Contributor

Agreed. But we have also heard "mowve" for mauve and "barvarian" for bavarian. Ugh.

Regular Contributor

Yes!!! "Go head" drives me to flip a table every time.

Honored Contributor

Until you have lived in different places in the US you will not understand the regional accents. Also you will be mocked for your "mispronunciations".

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@MaverDaver wrote:

and then there's 'aksd' instead of 'asked'

@MaverDaver   That one really bugs me more than others. It may be more prevalent where I live, but there are many southern areas where words are "killed".

New Contributor

Many other things in the world right now to worry about, but oh my gosh! My pet peeve is folks saying more lovely-- instead of lovelier, more sticky--instead of stickier, more pretty-- instead of prettier etc......

Another one is okra vs ochre!

I completely understand this if English is not your first language, but how did this become acceptable in our general population?

Thanks for letting me vent!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor
What bothers me is slang like he didn't go to work cause he is sick instead of saying because.
Regular Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1, I completely agree.  I've travelled all over the US and lived in states along the east coast from New England to NJ to NC to Florida.  I've re-learned how to pronounce words and place names many times, depending on what the locals say.  Also different words for the same thing (e.g., hoagie, sub, grinder, hero).

Honored Contributor
Amy has a speech impediment, I have read on these forums that she has stated that. So it's not kind to be critical of that.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Frequent Contributor

Cracks me up. For an issue that I posted that some thought was foolish, there are 3 pages of responses.  Hahahahaha