Frequent Contributor

Pronunciation pet peeve

[ Edited ]

I love all of the hosts but someone has to get after the lack of correct pronunciation on basic words. For example the word PATTERN. It drives me nuts when they say PATTERIN.  

9/17 edit- for all of those who thought my post was not worth my time there are 3 pages of responses. Lol

Respected Contributor

Our country has many colloquilisms, why get upset over that?

Honored Contributor

@baglady9    Save your angst for something important.  It does no good to rant about host pronunciations as nothing is going to change.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the OP. I hate it when people drop their t’s and pronounce cotten as couin or button as bouin. They don’t need to pronounce with a hard T sound but to forgo the T altogether sounds uneducated. Ok everyone, pile on.

Trusted Contributor

How about "cawed" instead of "called" and "go head" instead of "go ahead".

Trusted Contributor

@dollgal wrote:

I agree with the OP. I hate it when people drop their t’s and pronounce cotten as couin or button as bouin. They don’t need to pronounce with a hard T sound but to forgo the T altogether sounds uneducated. Ok everyone, pile on.

@dollgal   I agree... I have more of a problem with the poor grammar.  "Him and I"...

"Should have went"...

Honored Contributor

I can go 2 hours south and hear a whole different pronunciation of many words.  It is what it is. You can't do anything about it so don't let it take up space in your head.

Honored Contributor

My guess would be that the speaker has never had any one even comment to them about their pronunciation.   Even the, if that's the pronunciation they have heard and used for years, changing would require constant focus.     

Where is constant correctness in language a requirement?  Definitely not here on these Forums where we all, me included, have a chance to edit before we post, and I still see lapses every day.  I see them, but the only ones I actually care about are those I make myself.

Esteemed Contributor

How about fo-ward for forward?

Regular Contributor

and then there's 'aksd' instead of 'asked'