Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with Tracking Numbers

[ Edited ]

@Carol08, @A1brat, @ChynnaBlue, @Nightowlz, @MalteseMomma, and @Mz iMac,

It's not foolproof, but there's a way to sign up with all 3:

UPS,

FedEx,

and U.S.P.S.,

with free accounts and get alerts when a package shows up in their system with your name/address.

In some cases, you can set up the account with several versions of your name/address, so it helps their computer "catch" it when the shipper makes a mistake or enters the info an an abbreviated form.

Essentially, you register one time and then after that the website will notify you via email, text or voice (you have options to customize) immediately when a package with your name and address has been scanned into their system.

The  website "sees" your name/address and triggers a notification to you when a package is first entered into their computer.  

Then you can get subsequent updates on the progress, including an alert when the parcel is delayed, and when it's placed at your door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPS My Choice®

https://www.ups.com/mychoice/welcome.html

FedEx Delivery Manager®

http://www.fedex.com/us/delivery/

My USPS™

https://my.usps.com/mobileWeb/pages/intro/start.action

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's really helpful.

I've even gotten notifications when I didn't realize a package was on its way to me, so these are nice services.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great advice, @dooBdoo. I use UPS MyChoice and love it. I have the app and also have text alerts set up. And because it goes by address, it's even alerted me to packages sent by others, which is nice because otherwise I might go out and run errands or see a movie and leave a package on my doorstop long after dark.

There's an app called ParcelTrack that's supposed to link multiple delivery companies and alert you, but I was never able to get it to work.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Great advice, @dooBdoo. I use UPS MyChoice and love it. I have the app and also have text alerts set up. And because it goes by address, it's even alerted me to packages sent by others, which is nice because otherwise I might go out and run errands or see a movie and leave a package on my doorstop long after dark.

There's an app that's supposed to link multiple delivery companies and alert you, but I was never able to get it to work and can't even remember what it's called.

Thanks, @ChynnaBlue!  I've tried various apps from time to time, but never found them to work as well as just using the 3 sites.  I agree with you, it's nice that these services let us know even when someone else has sent a package we're not aware of.

Using these options allows the package to find us instead of the other way around.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I don't understand the compulsive need people have to track packages.  They're not going to get there any faster if tracked.  They'll get there when they get there.  Sign up with UPS and they'll notify you the day before arrival and afterwards.  Take a deep breath, relax and be surprised.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thanks @dooBdoo!  I knew about My USPS but not the others.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for this information.  I will sign up now.

I like to know the day that packages will be delivered, because I need to either be home, or let one of my neighbors know.  Several packages have "disappeared" from the condos in my area. 

Esteemed Contributor

Whether QVC or another company, a lot of them are drop shipping which means the item is shipped by the vendor and that means more red tape. And shipping is part of the supply chain so it's only as good as its weakest link. A lot of shippers like QVC use what's called last mile shippers, thus the parcel may go from a private shipping company to be eventually delivered by the post office. A glitch along the way like missing tracking numbers or incomplete or inaccurate information puts the customer at a disadvantage.

The customer is the consumer, if you are paying for a parcel with tracking, it should be accurate and easy to do.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't understand the compulsive need people have to track packages.  They're not going to get there any faster if tracked.  They'll get there when they get there.  Sign up with UPS and they'll notify you the day before arrival and afterwards.  Take a deep breath, relax and be surprised.

Weather is why I track my stuff.  There is no place to put it out of the weather here.   People in apartments don't want their stuff stolen either.  When tracking is faulty it is a big deal for a lot of people.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Occasional Contributor

I have found that same problem in the past and then discovered that they aren't giving you the entire number for tracking. I add "92" to the begining of the tracking number they supply. I copy/ paste that number into the tracking site at the USPS site and add "92" to the beginning of that and I get my tracking information.... I don't know why they can't supply the whole number. Very annoying. This works for me in my area; see if it works for you. . 

Thanks Horsefeathers for the info. It worked for me. Like many others, there are many reasons why a person would want to know when to expect a package.