Valued Contributor

It's all about the $$$$.

Respected Contributor

As long as she continues to make money for the Q they'll keep her on. And Paula Deen is on Evine with her clothing line so they were willing to take a chance with her. Funny thing is, she seemed to be vilified more for being a diabetic and making those rich Southern dishes than her racial remarks. 

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'm overweight and forgot about what she said the day she said it.

I'm torn on this.  What she said was wrong, rude, disgusting, mean, and ridiculous.  One of the last few things that it's ok to make fun of in our society is being overweight.  It's wrong and hurts people.  

At the same time, she didn't incite violence, bigotry, and hate like so many in the public eye these days.  Where are those who are upset with Rinna when people say those things?  Yes, she said something totally rude and insensitive and mean.  

If we fired everyone for what they say on their own time, there wouldn't be anyone on Q.  I thought Joan Rivers was much worse with what she said about others.  It could also be that it has nothing to do with her contract.

Some might have found JRiver's remarks to be worse, however when JRivers said things it was done in the name of humor, to get a laugh.  It might have been rough humor (or too rough or even foul) but the intent was humor.

LRinna's remarks were made intentionally to hurt and humiliate.  THAT's the difference and every Rinna item I see on the Q I immediately think of her incredibly NOXIOUS statement, not to mention when I see her on TV I think the same thing.     

Kick her off the Q?  Oh no, they're not going to do that.... after all, money is involved. But I can vote my intense dislike by not watching her ANYWHERE or buying whatever she's hawking. .      

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'm torn on this.  What she said was wrong, rude, disgusting, mean, and ridiculous.  One of the last few things that it's ok to make fun of in our society is being overweight.  It's wrong and hurts people.  

At the same time, she didn't incite violence, bigotry, and hate like so many in the public eye these days.  Where are those who are upset with Rinna when people say those things?  Yes, she said something totally rude and insensitive and mean.  

If we fired everyone for what they say on their own time, there wouldn't be anyone on Q.  I thought Joan Rivers was much worse with what she said about others.  It could also be that it has nothing to do with her contract.

IMO, her words DID incite bigotry & hate toward people who are overweight.

Bingo. Overweight people are discriminated against in so many ways and it's legal. People still feel 'safe' saying terrible things about overweight people, and that's sad to me. Hate is hate.

Cigarette smokers are hated and discriminated as much as anybody.

Seriously? We're now including those whose habit not only affects them but all of us, who either end up paying more insurance or get sick from continual exposure?

That's not either hatred or discrimination; it's called good public health policy.

Obesity affects "all of us" in that it exceeds smoking in health care costs, which we all pay for.

Obesity Now Costs Americans More In HealthCare ... - Forbes

www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/04/30/obesity-now-costs...

Apr 30, 2012 · ... exceeding smoking as public health enemy ... Journal of Health Economics. Obese women ... toward their health insurance benefit should ...

Okay. I'm not really understanding your point, though, because I was responding only to your statement that smokers are hated and discriminated against. I inferred from this that you might somehow be offended by society's steps to limit it in terms of exposing others.

Both smoking and obesity are major problems that do need to be addressed. But the latter is, IMO, more complex in terms of solutions. Whereas we can limit smoking in order to reduce dangerous exposure and maybe help reduce the number of smokers through educational programs, we cannot legally or morally force people to lose weight.

My point was exactly what I said in the beginning that you thought was incredible: Smoking is discriminating just as is fat. And it is hate and discrimination....

Do some people find smoking disgusting? Certainly. They may be allergic, they may not like the smell that can linger on everything, they may not like butts thrown around, whatever.

@febe1, but the legal limits on where people can smoke and the public health efforts to encourage people to stop smoking are based on health facts, not hate or on the negative connotation of "discrimination."

Do some people find smoking disgusting? Certainly. They may be allergic, they may not like the smell that can linger on everything, they may not like butts thrown around, whatever.

It's a far cry from some people's disgust with obese people. That is based on appearance and on the notion that obese people lack self-control. It is not usually based on any supposed effect on the person who feels such disgust.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

IMO, her words DID incite bigotry & hate toward people who are overweight.

Bingo. Overweight people are discriminated against in so many ways and it's legal. People still feel 'safe' saying terrible things about overweight people, and that's sad to me. Hate is hate.

Cigarette smokers are hated and discriminated as much as anybody.

Seriously? We're now including those whose habit not only affects them but all of us, who either end up paying more insurance or get sick from continual exposure?

That's not either hatred or discrimination; it's called good public health policy.

Obesity affects "all of us" in that it exceeds smoking in health care costs, which we all pay for.

Obesity Now Costs Americans More In HealthCare ... - Forbes

www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/04/30/obesity-now-costs...

Apr 30, 2012 · ... exceeding smoking as public health enemy ... Journal of Health Economics. Obese women ... toward their health insurance benefit should ...

Okay. I'm not really understanding your point, though, because I was responding only to your statement that smokers are hated and discriminated against. I inferred from this that you might somehow be offended by society's steps to limit it in terms of exposing others.

Both smoking and obesity are major problems that do need to be addressed. But the latter is, IMO, more complex in terms of solutions. Whereas we can limit smoking in order to reduce dangerous exposure and maybe help reduce the number of smokers through educational programs, we cannot legally or morally force people to lose weight.

My point was exactly what I said in the beginning that you thought was incredible: Smoking is discriminating just as is fat. And it is hate and discrimination....

@febe1, but the legal limits on where people can smoke and the public health efforts to encourage people to stop smoking are based on health facts, not hate or on the negative connotation of "discrimination."

It's a far cry from some people's disgust with obese people. That is based on appearance and on the notion that obese people lack self-control. It is not usually based on any supposed effect on the person who feels such disgust.

Struggle, twist and turn all you like to fit, you jumped in with nothing. I'm finished! All speculation and your personal opinion.

Trusted Contributor
They should have her cohost and only have overweight models for the remainder of her contract. Anyway, since I hadn't turned on my tv in two months until two weeks ago I apparently missed all of this nonsense.
Valued Contributor

I am always amazed when I read topics on these forums. What amazes me most is that the people who post on here think that what they are ranting about will make some kind of a difference. Don't you realize that there is maybe a few thousand people who read this stuff.. out of the 90 million homes QVC reaches..many of the shoppers don't even know this forum exists..Couple that with the people who shop by phone and never go near a computer..That adds up to practically NO ONE....and the rant you are talking about took place on Twitter,most people who shop at QVC don't have twitter accounts.I have one and never look at it. None of my friends are on twitter..So, I didn't know what you  were talking about and I am sure no one else did..So, you want QVC to get rid of someone based on 100 people who are complaining..IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN..Bottom line ....She makes $$$$$$$ for them....