Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

I hate to say this because I hope it doesn't sound insensitive. Some people (I know one) have a very distorted, scary view on overweight people. I think, jmho, at least the person I know, it stems from THEIR insecurities with their own weight issues. Lisa is very thin. I wonder if she has this problem. To me, it's almost like an eating disorder, and they have to view being overweight as vile and disgusting to maintain their own weight. 

Not saying this is Lisa, not saying it's ok. But I do think the person I know fits that to a T. 

Certainly, many anorexics and bulimics feel this way; it's part of the reason they have an eating disorder.

@Moonchilde, actually that's a simplification of the disorders. They do indeed have an irrational fear of fat, but it's not usually targeted at others. In fact, it's much more a form of self-hatred, a fear of losing control -- to name just two hallmards of these very painful and often devastating diseases -- than it is about others' weight.

I didn't claim to be an expert, nor that my comment was a full and complete definition of eating disorders. Note I said it is "part" of the eating disorders.

It is my opinion that anorexics and bulimics have a very distorted view of what constitutes "overweight", of overweight people, and hence a distorted view of being overweight themselves. i.e. they can look at themselves in the mirror at 90 lbs. and literally see a "fat" person looking back at them and are horrified at that. Imagine how horrified they feel, then, looking at someone who weighs 200 lbs, if they typically view 90-100 lbs. as "fat."

Yes, it's common knowledge that eating disorders usually center around control and/or self-loathing as PART of the disease; distorted body image in themselves *and others*, fostered by society, is the *other* part.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Misplaced Loyalty?

[ Edited ]

@febe1 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'm overweight and forgot about what she said the day she said it.

I'm torn on this.  What she said was wrong, rude, disgusting, mean, and ridiculous.  One of the last few things that it's ok to make fun of in our society is being overweight.  It's wrong and hurts people.  

At the same time, she didn't incite violence, bigotry, and hate like so many in the public eye these days.  Where are those who are upset with Rinna when people say those things?  Yes, she said something totally rude and insensitive and mean.  

If we fired everyone for what they say on their own time, there wouldn't be anyone on Q.  I thought Joan Rivers was much worse with what she said about others.  It could also be that it has nothing to do with her contract.

IMO, her words DID incite bigotry & hate toward people who are overweight.

Bingo. Overweight people are discriminated against in so many ways and it's legal. People still feel 'safe' saying terrible things about overweight people, and that's sad to me. Hate is hate.

Cigarette smokers are hated and discriminated as much as anybody.

Seriously? We're now including those whose habit not only affects them but all of us, who either end up paying more insurance or get sick from continual exposure?

That's not either hatred or discrimination; it's called good public health policy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

I hate to say this because I hope it doesn't sound insensitive. Some people (I know one) have a very distorted, scary view on overweight people. I think, jmho, at least the person I know, it stems from THEIR insecurities with their own weight issues. Lisa is very thin. I wonder if she has this problem. To me, it's almost like an eating disorder, and they have to view being overweight as vile and disgusting to maintain their own weight. 

Not saying this is Lisa, not saying it's ok. But I do think the person I know fits that to a T. 

Certainly, many anorexics and bulimics feel this way; it's part of the reason they have an eating disorder.

@Moonchilde, actually that's a simplification of the disorders. They do indeed have an irrational fear of fat, but it's not usually targeted at others. In fact, it's much more a form of self-hatred, a fear of losing control -- to name just two hallmards of these very painful and often devastating diseases -- than it is about others' weight.

I didn't claim to be an expert, nor that my comment was a full and complete definition of eating disorders. Note I said it is "part" of the eating disorders.

It is my opinion that anorexics and bulimics have a very distorted view of what constitutes "overweight", of overweight people, and hence a distorted view of being overweight themselves. i.e. they can look at themselves in the mirror at 90 lbs. and literally see a "fat" person looking back at them and are horrified at that. Imagine how horrified they feel, then, looking at someone who weighs 200 lbs, if they typically view 90-100 lbs. as "fat."

Yes, it's common knowledge that eating disorders usually center around control and/or self-loathing as PART of the disease; distorted body image in themselves *and others*, fostered by society, is the *other* part.

This is where we part ways. They are horrified with themselves. But they instinctually know that they are putting themselves in a box from which they can't escape; that overweight or obese person is a version of themselves out of control.

That's not disgust; it is, in part, even a kind of odd form of envy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

I'm torn on this.  What she said was wrong, rude, disgusting, mean, and ridiculous.  One of the last few things that it's ok to make fun of in our society is being overweight.  It's wrong and hurts people.  

At the same time, she didn't incite violence, bigotry, and hate like so many in the public eye these days.  Where are those who are upset with Rinna when people say those things?  Yes, she said something totally rude and insensitive and mean.  

If we fired everyone for what they say on their own time, there wouldn't be anyone on Q.  I thought Joan Rivers was much worse with what she said about others.  It could also be that it has nothing to do with her contract.

Bingo. Yes, the point is that what she said does incite bigotry and hate. It is bad business for a company line QVC, which has established such a friendly and inclusive image over decades, to say and do nothing in such a situation. I have lost some respect for the Q and seriously wonder what kind of leaders are running the place. I am not naive, I retired from a large, well-known, and respected company which cared about such things. Rinna should have been shown the door.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@KingstonsMom- yes she did and she is a poor role model.

Esteemed Contributor

I look at it this way. The Q is a business and they call the shots.....but as a customer......I can choose where I spend my money.

I personally don't find her very attractive and like the other poster said.....I think she has body issues.

Honored Contributor

I don't like Lisa Rinna and never liked her stuffed either.....

Perhaps I wouldn't fall under Ms. Rinna's definition of a "fat girl" but I have friends of all shapes/sizes, but I'm single and have 2 cats and love cats so I guess I fall under her "single crazy cat lady" scenario....

For some that didn't see her comments google it.....it wasn't only that she called out overweight woment but the way in which she said it.....she was very VULGAR and mentioned their lack of action in their pivate parts too...A corporate image is determined by the company you keep and I think QVC should not want the image that Ms. Rinna portrays...I think QVC should drop Ms. Rinna's line...

QVC got rid of Paula Deen several mentioned that, but they also got rid of Dr. Dre---remember the hoopla surrounding him and his line of headphones and his first show on the Q---his history of violence against women apparently did him in......even though there is one item left online but no more shows or appearances....

As for Joan Rivers---her shock value was part of her comedy schtick---but so many stories have emerged regarding her kindness and compassion to others-- she was quite a bit different IN HEART from what she did on stage.....VERSUS Ms. Rinna who does her schtick to make a sale, all the while HER HEART reveals her true character too---WHICH ISN'T NICE AT ALL!--an opposite of Joan---JMHO....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@acat wrote:

WHAT DID SHE SAY?  I MISSED IT.

@acat  We can't repeat her exact words because what she said would NOT meet QVC's Forum Guidelines and Standards---that should tell you something.   I suggest your google it....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Misplaced Loyalty?

[ Edited ]

@Reba055 wrote:

@Reba055  She's not that thin, but I think she is sensitive about her looks regarding her messed up lip injections that you can read about on google that many people commented on when she was on Dancing With The Stars long ago........

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

Bingo. Overweight people are discriminated against in so many ways and it's legal. People still feel 'safe' saying terrible things about overweight people, and that's sad to me. Hate is hate.

Cigarette smokers are hated and discriminated as much as anybody.

Seriously? We're now including those whose habit not only affects them but all of us, who either end up paying more insurance or get sick from continual exposure?

That's not either hatred or discrimination; it's called good public health policy.

@suzyQ3  The second hand smoke issue is a MAJOR concern which impacts the general public's health.......