Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb oh yes, you're right, I forgot to mention that!

Esteemed Contributor

@cosmic1 @debic that's quite an interesting statistic.  Recently I bought two of the pumpkins made by desert steel and the stems started rusting.  They were sold out on QVC and I didn't want to return them since I liked them but wasn't happy about the rusting issue.  I contacted Desert Steel directly and told them the problem.  I got a prompt response from them and they are sending out replacement stems.

That's good customer service. 

Had I contacted QVC, I expect that the only answer would have been to return them for a refund which is not what I wanted.

Getting good customer service directly from the company made me feel valued and will also make me inclined to buy more from this company.

When I am not a satisfied customer, then I don't buy again and as noted in the article that cosmic1 posted, I probably tell others why I wouldn't.  Word of mouth is a big deal.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Would You Run QVC?

[ Edited ]

more from the gonzobanker article

A single complaint coming through one channel may not seem significant, but it might be the tip of a very unhappy iceberg identifiable when noticing similarities in other channels. Complaints are data! A single data point is minimally helpful, but the aggregate knowledge when combined can be powerful. Of course, retention will only come with attempts to resolve the issues. Merely acknowledging complaints isn’t enough to improve retention. Demonstrating that a customer’s issue is being taken seriously requires a sincere effort to understand the circumstances and connect with her to discuss it. - See more at: http://www.gonzobanker.com/#sthash.ovPeINn7.dpuf

70% of buying experiences are based on how the customer feels he is being treated. (McKinsey) 55% of customers would pay extra to guarantee better service -

Honored Contributor

I am seeing a trend in these replies. I do not even know the name of the hosts like I did in the old days. Maybe they need to be better trained.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Re: How Would You Run QVC?

[ Edited ]

@ncascade wrote:

I am seeing a trend in these replies. I do not even know the name of the hosts like I did in the old days. Maybe they need to be better trained.

The hosts are becoming generic... That not only has to do with their selection and training, but with what appears to be mandates from 'on high' related to how they should act, what buzz phrases they should use, how many times they should tell us what's sold and what's left and so on... Undistinguished hosts displaying unappealing behaviors are definitely part of the equation. That said, uninspired product offerings, stale and predictable programming, too-long and too frequent presentations of the same relatively uninteresting items, repetition-repetition-repetition, and an utter dearth of customer incentives round out the formula... As was noted above, watching with any kind of anticipation, sitting back and relaxing while enjoying a pleasant and familiar shopping venue offering a wide range of products in a way that makes one want to continue to watch and to tune back in appears, sadly, to be a thing of the past.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@ncascade wrote:

The hosts are becoming generic... That not only has to do with their selection and training, but with what appears to be mandates from 'on high' related to how they should act, what buzz phrases they should use, how many times they should tell us what's sold and what's left and so on... Undistinguished hosts displaying unappealing behaviors are definitely part of the equation. That said, uninspired product offerings, stale and predictable programming, too-long and too frequent presentations of the same relatively uninteresting items, repetition-repetition-repetition, and an utter dearth of customer incentives round out the formula... As was noted above, watching with any kind of anticipation, sitting back and relaxing while a enjoying a pleasant and familiar shopping venue offers a wide range of products in a way that makes one want to continue to watch and to tune back in appears, sadly, to be a thing of the past.

@stevieb You said it in a nutshell....agree with all of the above. Wouldnt it be nice if someone responsible for the programming were listening/reacting? Maybe 2016 will bring an improvement....but then again......I'm not holding my breath......

Trusted Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 The recent hosts aren't like the original hosts who made QVC a cut above the other shopping channel(s) out there. The most recent hosts are more like something you wind up and watch (with disbelief alot of times), as if they are the Show -- instead. I feel that TPTB must have been unable to hire real, experienced, TV talent in the past few years.

I'm hoping that there is still hope that QVC will (soon) reverse course on alot of things, to bring back the cut above feeling it once had.

Esteemed Contributor

@debic wrote:

@GinaV24 wrote:

@Sue in cincinnati great points but I don't think the QVC is interested in listening to its customers.

I'll expect a post telling me that there are only a "few" people complaining about it and if I don't like it I can stop shopping with QVC now.

LOL, and why should you hear anything else?  

They sell 1000's of almost everything they present, they must be doing something right.

Who knows how many people do or don't like it.  This board doesn't really count as it's a lot of the same people complaining over and over about the same things.   

Anyone who's ever run a business knows that there's a lot of great ideas out there, but implementing them is a whole different story.  All these changes, it's delusional to think you could just make it happen like that.  Who knows if Q wants them in the first place.  

There's a lot of things I think could change, but I have no knowledge of how things are working for them.  I don't have a business degree and I'll wager that most of the people complaining haven't either.

LOL, the smartest thing they could do is remove this board.   

@debic

I was a consultant for a large retailer and one thing we learned early on is that its not about the volume of sales, but about "sales that wear well." In other words, it's not difficult for a good sales person to get someone to make a purchase; the real issues are (1) whether or not they keep the item and (2) whether they are happy enough with the item to tell their friends about it.

QVC has a huge problem with returns (it's a 100 million++ dollar drag on their net) and with word of mouth. If you look at another retailer--I'll use Target as an example--the customers like the experience and the products so much that there are more than 2K Instagram boards devoted just to sharing what customers bought at that store. QVC has none. Zero. Same goes for Pinterest. Just look at how Target is upping its game for holiday.

To say that they must be doing something right because they show large numbers in gross sales is misleading. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

I have often wondered about the returns. Thankx for the info

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Yo, those in the Q corner offices and sitting on the board, are you making notes? If not, you really should be... 

I thought your comment required a bigger heart.  I wonder if any of these suggestions will get back to those who make the deicsions?

heart.png

@Winkk...  Woman Wink

We can certainly hope so... or at least most of us can, anyway...

Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...