Respected Contributor

I'd make sure the staff that hires hosts was better trained.  Recnet hosts are duds.

Respected Contributor
No, marketing doesn't worry about happy customers. They are focused on why people are unhappy. Lost business is always a concern and very costly to a company.
Respected Contributor
I found it: www.gonzobanker.com

Article is called 5 Steps to Mastering Complaints.

The stat is that "for every customer complaint, there are 26 other unhappy customers who have remained silent. (Lee Resource)"

"96% of unhappy customers don't complain, however, 91% of those will simply leave and never come back. (1st Financial Training Services)".
Regular Contributor

Re: How Would You Run QVC?

[ Edited ]

Cosmic1:  My sister is a Professor who teaches in the Business Dept.  She says that there are stats showing if someone has a bad experience or is dissatisfied with a business (it could be anything from retail, dining,

carpet cleaning, etc...) over 100 other people will hear about it through

word of mouth! 

debic:

I don't see anything wrong with us giving suggestions about how the Q might enhance our shopping experiences. Afterall, most of us are long time QVC watchers and shoppers.  Our input is given from a positive place , not a negative one.  It's obvious that the Q is trying out different things (new hosts, QPlus, social media, shipping costs, etc..) in order to connect with even more viewers.  Evolving is healthy, whether it's for personal growth, an institution, or a home shopping channel!  This is just a "what if" discussion among friends.

Honored Contributor

I would make it a practice to only allow hosts on air who either already have good speaking voices, or I would provide voice training to promising hosts so their on-air voices would register well as sounds coming from the tv screen to our ears.

There is a host or two now (and there have been in the past) that, even though their words themselves make sense and might even be interesting and useful, the voice itself is often grating and becomes unpleasant after listening for a while.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@cosmic1 wrote:
No, marketing doesn't worry about happy customers. They are focused on why people are unhappy. Lost business is always a concern and very costly to a company.

Probably true, but I like to think that the ratio of happy to unhappy would be a good thing to know.

In my 10 years as a mod on a very large board, the unhappy was a very small ratio, but they definitely were the loudest.  Of course sometimes it is justified, but mostly it was just chronic complainers. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Sue in cincinnati wrote:

Cosmic1:  My sister is a Professor who teaches in the Business Dept.  She says that there are stats showing if someone has a bad experience or is dissatisfied with a business (it could be anything from retail, dining,

word of mouth! 

debic:

I don't see anything wrong with us giving suggestions about how the Q might enhance our shopping experiences. Afterall, most of us are long time QVC watchers and shoppers.  Our input is given from a positive place , not a negative one.  It's obvious that the Q is trying out different things (new hosts, QPlus, social media, shipping costs, etc..) in order to connect with even more viewers.  Evolving is healthy, whether it's for personal growth, an institution, or a home shopping channel!  This is just a "what if" discussion among friends.

I agree some are positive, but many come from the same people who have been complaining about the same thing forever.  

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Sue in cincinnati wrote:

word of mouth! 

debic:

Sue, the marketing and sales professionals study this stuff like crazy.  I'd believe that one too.  I would have to be pretty upset to tell 100 people that I know about something, but I guess posting on a board could achieve the same result.   I'm usually one of the 91% who is unhappy, says nothing and just disappears. 

However, I really have not completely stopped buying from QVC.  I buy Wen here and D&B bags and some clothing.  I still like the footware, especially the boots.  I'm just more leery of the jewelry and clothing, since I've had to return items for poor quality and poor fit.  I have jewelry that I bought 15 years ago that still looks like new and I wear it regularly.  Newer pieces lose stones and I won't take the chance anymore with buying it.  Also, the other channels (HSN & Evine) have much better deals on jewelry and the quality is still there in my experience.

If the Q is happy with their numbers and feel that they like their current business model, then they are unlikely to change.  As long as I can get what I want from somewhere, I'm fine with that too.  QVC does not have to my primary retail shopping destination and they are no longer.  They were for a good many years, though.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Yo, those in the Q corner offices and sitting on the board, are you making notes? If not, you really should be... 

I thought your comment required a bigger heart.  I wonder if any of these suggestions will get back to those who make the deicsions?

heart.png

Respected Contributor

Sue, the marketing and sales professionals study this stuff like crazy.  I'd believe that one too.  I would have to be pretty upset to tell 100 people that I know about something, but I guess posting on a board could achieve the same result.   I'm usually one of the 91% who is unhappy, says nothing and just disappears. 

However, I really have not completely stopped buying from QVC.  I buy Wen here and D&B bags and some clothing.  I still like the footware, especially the boots.  I'm just more leery of the jewelry and clothing, since I've had to return items for poor quality and poor fit.  I have jewelry that I bought 15 years ago that still looks like new and I wear it regularly.  Newer pieces lose stones and I won't take the chance anymore with buying it.  Also, the other channels (HSN & Evine) have much better deals on jewelry and the quality is still there in my experience.

If the Q is happy with their numbers and feel that they like their current business model, then they are unlikely to change.  As long as I can get what I want from somewhere, I'm fine with that too.  QVC does not have to my primary retail shopping destination and they are no longer.  They were for a good many years, though.

@cosmic1 -  Your comments are so true.  This board only represents a very small percentage of QVC shoppers.  All companies have marketing departments that fine tune who their target audience should be.  I recently read that QVC tries to reach women between the ages of 35 and 64.  If their current strategy works for them they are not going to change it.  They will only make changes if their profits start to go down.  Money talks.