Honored Contributor

Re: How Would You Run QVC?

[ Edited ]

@debic wrote:

@Sue in cincinnati wrote:

Cosmic1:  My sister is a Professor who teaches in the Business Dept.  She says that there are stats showing if someone has a bad experience or is dissatisfied with a business (it could be anything from retail, dining,

carpet cleaning, etc...) over 100 other people will hear about it through

word of mouth! 

debic:

I don't see anything wrong with us giving suggestions about how the Q might enhance our shopping experiences. Afterall, most of us are long time QVC watchers and shoppers.  Our input is given from a positive place , not a negative one.  It's obvious that the Q is trying out different things (new hosts, QPlus, social media, shipping costs, etc..) in order to connect with even more viewers.  Evolving is healthy, whether it's for personal growth, an institution, or a home shopping channel!  This is just a "what if" discussion among friends.

I agree some are positive, but many come from the same people who have been complaining about the same thing forever.  

Even some of us who've been 'complaining about the same thing forever...' (and incidentally, some folks have been offering up the same counter arguments equally as long...) are still coming from a positive place... We're coming from a place that says we once really valued and enjoyed QVC and now can barely turn it on... We're coming from a place that doesn't expect them to revert back to what was, but also doesn't plan to remain riveted to this retail entity as it stagnates... We'd like to see them excel, as they once did. The complaints aren't for the sake of complaining but are intended to let it be known we think they have done better and can do better again... The customer might not always be right, but the customer is always the customer, at least until they decide their needs are no longer being met and they're business is no longer sought or appreciated...

As for that business degree... Nothing against anyone who has one, but let's face it, they're are scores of MBA's turned out every year... Business degrees, like so many other degrees, are a dime a dozen... There are a score of highly successful business that were conceptualized and actualized by those without business degrees, just as there are scores of businesses run into the ground by supposed 'experts'... The opposite is also true. In and of itself, having a business degree is absolutely no guarantee that the one holding it is making the right choices...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I would have the hosts to stop saying "for just under $100.00" when the item cost $99.98 +S&H.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

Re: How Would You Run QVC?

[ Edited ]

Zooky - You said something profound that I'd never thought of but it's

so true:  that in many instances, the hosts have become the focus of

the shows, not the products! 

stevieb:  You summed up the state of QVC in one word, "stagnation".

That is the perfect description for what is happening.  I want to watch, shop and enjoy but it's just so repetitious and boring. 

Honored Contributor

@WorldTraveler wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Many, many years ago I would watch and order from QVC.  NOT ANYMORE!  I can't even have QVC on as "white noise" like years ago.  

QVC has changed today.  I would suggest toning it down and being like years ago.  I think QVC was doing better back then also. 

@Sunshine Kate But you didn't say what it was that you liked about "years ago." What were they doing then that they aren't doing now? What does "toning it down" mean? Do you mean the hype for a product?

Just curious. Smiley Happy

Of course, most of us don't know what it is like to run a big corporation like that and what they need to do to make it work. But if it was possible and made fiscal sense, I would like to see the programming not be so predictable. I would prefer not to know that every Tuesday evening there is a beauty program. Weekends seem to have a lot of food programming. Sometimes I like knowing that a certain program will be on regularly and other times I like to tune in, not knowing what will be on. Better chance of me finding something new that way.

I would probably rotate the hosts more. I rarely get to see Alberti Popaj and think he is really great. I only see Pat if it is in the morning and would like to see her in the evenings. Every once in a while I watch QVC's other channel and I see hosts I haven't seen before. I thought it was mostly repeats of the main channel, but evidently not.

All in all, I like QVC as it is. You can't please everyone, and the few things that bug me are too minor to complain about to the powers that be.

Q used to have a variety of products, and they were great quality.   Just a few changes I'd make:

• No more rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat of the same 10 or 12 products.   Q used to offer products one couldn't always find locally.   
  • Revamp quality control to ensure returns weren't sent back out, products are the quality comparable to B&M stores, and just plain decent.
  • I'd get rid of the bogus "Italian" jewelry and bring back variety and quality 14k.
  • Stop Susan from talking and swirling non-stop.
  • Upgrade the hosts....or perhaps it's a training issue.  They can show their own personalities and styles but add some class and self respect... and ensure details about the products are given.
  • Stop ITKWD's happy dance, chewy faces, and just plain creep factor.  David is a really nice guy but he has to cross a line to compete with the other hosts these days.
Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@WorldTraveler wrote:

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Many, many years ago I would watch and order from QVC.  NOT ANYMORE!  I can't even have QVC on as "white noise" like years ago.  

QVC has changed today.  I would suggest toning it down and being like years ago.  I think QVC was doing better back then also. 

@Sunshine Kate But you didn't say what it was that you liked about "years ago." What were they doing then that they aren't doing now? What does "toning it down" mean? Do you mean the hype for a product?

Just curious. Smiley Happy

Of course, most of us don't know what it is like to run a big corporation like that and what they need to do to make it work. But if it was possible and made fiscal sense, I would like to see the programming not be so predictable. I would prefer not to know that every Tuesday evening there is a beauty program. Weekends seem to have a lot of food programming. Sometimes I like knowing that a certain program will be on regularly and other times I like to tune in, not knowing what will be on. Better chance of me finding something new that way.

I would probably rotate the hosts more. I rarely get to see Alberti Popaj and think he is really great. I only see Pat if it is in the morning and would like to see her in the evenings. Every once in a while I watch QVC's other channel and I see hosts I haven't seen before. I thought it was mostly repeats of the main channel, but evidently not.

All in all, I like QVC as it is. You can't please everyone, and the few things that bug me are too minor to complain about to the powers that be.

Q used to have a variety of products, and they were great quality.   Just a few changes I'd make:

• No more rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat of the same 10 or 12 products.   Q used to offer products one couldn't always find locally.   
  • Revamp quality control to ensure returns weren't sent back out, products are the quality comparable to B&M stores, and just plain decent.
  • I'd get rid of the bogus "Italian" jewelry and bring back variety and quality 14k.
  • Stop Susan from talking and swirling non-stop.
  • Upgrade the hosts....or perhaps it's a training issue.  They can show their own personalities and styles but add some class and self respect... and ensure details about the products are given.
  • Stop ITKWD's happy dance, chewy faces, and just plain creep factor.  David is a really nice guy but he has to cross a line to compete with the other hosts these days.

About David's happy dance, that won't be going away anytime soon.  There was an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer  about QVC and part of that article was how they monitor sales as the host is presenting.  When he does his dance sales soars.

Esteemed Contributor

1. More variety with hosts and products--There's too much repetition to keep the base interested.  Switch back to scheduling for those who watch regularly rather than trying to catch the channel surfers.

2.  Go back to emphasis on quality.  Two size mediums by same company are not the same size.  Get a size chart and be consistent with all items among all vendors.  They used to brag about quality assurance. Understandably, it isn't mentioned as much anymore.

3.  Revamp the website.  Click on a product video, and you're lucky if you found one that actually talks about the product within the first 60 seconds.  Just when you think you know how to find something, they make a change.  Just do one big overhaul rather than lots of small changes that really don't improve the online experience.  This community is a microcosm of Q's inconsistencies and online snafus.

4.  Return to basic product descriptions.  Hosts used to have a ruler or measuring tape.  They used to open all purses to let us see how they looked inside.  They've replaced that with storytelling and social media updates.  If you have x amount of time to sell a product, be sure you've given a thorough description in that time frame.

5.  Less on-air emphasis on social media

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot speak to what happens on the actual show since I  really don't watch anymore.  I look online if and when I think I want something or need information about something.  

If I had control of the company I would do something about shipping costs.  It used to be if you paid tax you did not pay shipping... that simple.(State of Maryland, could have been more).  I don't imagine that will work anymore.  I would however create a shopping cart or some sort of free shipping deals which are used by catalogues or with other companies and not with QVC.  Amazon has really figured it out... Prime memberships.  

Respected Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

@debic wrote:

@GinaV24 wrote:

@Sue in cincinnati great points but I don't think the QVC is interested in listening to its customers.

I'll expect a post telling me that there are only a "few" people complaining about it and if I don't like it I can stop shopping with QVC now.

LOL, and why should you hear anything else?  

They sell 1000's of almost everything they present, they must be doing something right.

Who knows how many people do or don't like it.  This board doesn't really count as it's a lot of the same people complaining over and over about the same things.   

Anyone who's ever run a business knows that there's a lot of great ideas out there, but implementing them is a whole different story.  All these changes, it's delusional to think you could just make it happen like that.  Who knows if Q wants them in the first place.  

There's a lot of things I think could change, but I have no knowledge of how things are working for them.  I don't have a business degree and I'll wager that most of the people complaining haven't either.

LOL, the smartest thing they could do is remove this board.   

@debic

I was a consultant for a large retailer and one thing we learned early on is that its not about the volume of sales, but about "sales that wear well." In other words, it's not difficult for a good sales person to get someone to make a purchase; the real issues are (1) whether or not they keep the item and (2) whether they are happy enough with the item to tell their friends about it.

QVC has a huge problem with returns (it's a 100 million++ dollar drag on their net) and with word of mouth. If you look at another retailer--I'll use Target as an example--the customers like the experience and the products so much that there are more than 2K Instagram boards devoted just to sharing what customers bought at that store. QVC has none. Zero. Same goes for Pinterest. Just look at how Target is upping its game for holiday.

To say that they must be doing something right because they show large numbers in gross sales is misleading. 

I don't think so at all.  Returns are a big problem for everyone.   I'm sure everyone in the world should own a vitamix by now, they still sell 1000's when they are on.  Sorry they would pull it if it wasn't making them money.

They also remove 'customers' who abuse the return system.

LOL, I know 0 people who care what's posted on instagram, twitter, facebook, or even Pintrest.   If I'm shopping I go to the site I'm looking for the product.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@debic wrote:

Cosmic1:  My sister is a Professor who teaches in the Business Dept.  She says that there are stats showing if someone has a bad experience or is dissatisfied with a business (it could be anything from retail, dining,

word of mouth! 

debic:

I don't see anything wrong with us giving suggestions about how the Q might enhance our shopping experiences. Afterall, most of us are long time QVC watchers and shoppers.  Our input is given from a positive place , not a negative one.  It's obvious that the Q is trying out different things (new hosts, QPlus, social media, shipping costs, etc..) in order to connect with even more viewers.  Evolving is healthy, whether it's for personal growth, an institution, or a home shopping channel!  This is just a "what if" discussion among friends.

I agree some are positive, but many come from the same people who have been complaining about the same thing forever.  

Even some of us who've been 'complaining about the same thing forever...' (and incidentally, some folks have been offering up the same counter arguments equally as long...) are still coming from a positive place... We're coming from a place that says we once really valued and enjoyed QVC and now can barely turn it on... We're coming from a place that doesn't expect them to revert back to what was, but also doesn't plan to remain riveted to this retail entity as it stagnates... We'd like to see them excel, as they once did. The complaints aren't for the sake of complaining but are intended to let it be known we think they have done better and can do better again... The customer might not always be right, but the customer is always the customer, at least until they decide their needs are no longer being met and they're business is no longer sought or appreciated...

As for that business degree... Nothing against anyone who has one, but let's face it, they're are scores of MBA's turned out every year... Business degrees, like so many other degrees, are a dime a dozen... There are a score of highly successful business that were conceptualized and actualized by those without business degrees, just as there are scores of businesses run into the ground by supposed 'experts'... The opposite is also true. In and of itself, having a business degree is absolutely no guarantee that the one holding it is making the right choices...

I do agree both sides are redundant, but if it's on the negative side, why bother watching or even continuing to complain?   Q isn't going to change their game plan, because of a few (in comparison to their customers) 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@debic wrote:

word of mouth! 

debic:

I do agree both sides are redundant, but if it's on the negative side, why bother watching or even continuing to complain?   Q isn't going to change their game plan, because of a few (in comparison to their customers) 

Actually, I've pretty much given up watching altogether. QVC used to be a staple on my television, but as it is now, it's an increasing rarity that it's on, even as the oft mentioned 'background noise'...  As for why complain... Well, as they say, hope springs eternal. Besides, I guess some of us thought we'd give them something they clearly understand... repetition.

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...