Esteemed Contributor

The very first thing I would do is once again to offer Quality, Value and Convenience. That is all gone, to include convenience with the extended in-processing, and extended delivery date to 12 days. Missed my brother's birthday present by two days, and I don't appreciate that. If you no longer can offer quality, value and convenience, I would change the name. 

Next programming. I would offer a large variety of different vendors with interesting and exciting products at better prices than others. I would make TSV's very special, with exciting products and great value, selling monumental amounts, 

This is for starters.

Esteemed Contributor

All the wonderful ideas mentioned here.  Interesting to note the same themes of improvement ideas.  Wonder how QVC feels to be cited in the November issue of Woman's Day, in the article "Outsmart Sneaky Salespeople"?  It's under No. 2, talking about sales pitches, "They Exploit your Fear of Missing Out."  This same issue with a large toy insider feature, with endless ideas for different gifts for the young people in your life, so unlike the same toys, year after year, they feature on the Q.

If QVC wants to remain competitive, they have got to eliminate high shipping costs, both to the customer and for customer returns.  So some items cost $3 to ship to you?  If the item is not right for you, you have to "eat" high shipping costs to return.  And some shipping costs are outrageous.  This factor alone has got to negatively impact sales.  It has with me, at least.

Super Contributor

I suspect a lot of the way QVC has changed reflects changing times. For example, technology makes it easier to track what phrases and sales tactics are selling product.  The hosts are using certain expressions because they work.

After the recession, a lot of stores started carrying less inventory.  I think QVC focuses on less items on air and makes money off of less items that are higher priced.

If they want to stay competitive, I think they should improve their website.  More photos showing more detail.  A short video for every item.

They should also upsell more items when they do long product presentations.  They have tons of items online that get no air time.  I think they could drive more web traffic by promoting more items.

I'd love to see a customer reward program beyond Easy Pays (which benefit them by encouraging sales for higher priced items).

Honored Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

@Winkk

QVC disrupted the retail shopping experience when it began and they need to think big about how to do that again. I work as Editorial Director for a very large retailer and part of my job is to listen to the customer and give them what they want. 

Due to endless options for shopping and buying, customers (especially younger ones) are looking for a few things: they want their money to mean something and if they have a choice, reward companies who stand for more than just profits (see Toms, Chipotle, etc); they want more than just to buy something, they want an "experience" that they can share with others (AirBnB, Craigslist, etc); they want super flexibility to individualize their shopping (discounts to use at will, items made to order from Etsy or Handmade); and finally, they want it fast, on trend, and with lots of buzz (H&M, Apple, IKEA, etc).

QVC does none of this. None. Their biggest competitors are Amazon, Walmart and Target, all of whom have adapted to fulfill this new 21st century shopper. The experience of shopping from QVC is exactly as it was in 1999. They've slipped behind their competition and show no signs of thinking big and trying anything new (flash easy pay sales, frantic and very pitchy presentations, and pricey, sloowwww shipping both ways is not exactly "new" and industry changing!).

I would stop being so stubborn and listen to the next generation of my customer.

That's how I would run QVC. 

@gardensla... I'd agree with what you've said here with the caveat that it isn't just the next generation of customer... Had the suits been listening to those of us that used to be long time, regular and more satisfied customers, they'd have heard a great deal of the same feedack, and they'd have heard it months and months ago...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

There are a lot of good well thought out ideas here.  It would be really nice if someone from QVC would actually read them.

Valued Contributor

I would have more target-audience specific shows.  For example, currently you can wach a shoe show, and they will have one very fashionable shoe, one workout shoe, a slipper, and several very boring/ugly shoes that have been in inventory for at least 5 years.  For any given customer, if you sit and watch the whole show, you will be lucky if you see one thing you like.  Same formula goes for fashion.  I would schedule specific shows like "Get Fit in Style"  = fitness apparel and footwear, "Night Out" for dressier styles, "Office Chic" for more professional looks, and "Weekend Comfort"  for casual styles.  Now granted, with this type of programming, many customers will be "not interested" in the entire show, but for the customer that is interested, there would be enough items to hold your attention for the entire hour.

Just my

Smiley Wink

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

I would like to see some incentives based on the $$$ amount I was spending. Spend $100? Get 10% off, etc. just today I ordered from a shop online and when I placed my item in the bag, a message appeared that said, "Just $21.50 to go for free shipping." Of course I spent that extra money. I earn rewards dollars to use at any of the Gap family stores just by using their Visa card. Q could do something like that. As it is now, it is a one-way street, there is no giving back to us.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

Why would anyone here want to run QVC?  That might not turn out so great. 

Respected Contributor

@dc2004 wrote:

I suspect a lot of the way QVC has changed reflects changing times. For example, technology makes it easier to track what phrases and sales tactics are selling product.  The hosts are using certain expressions because they work.

After the recession, a lot of stores started carrying less inventory.  I think QVC focuses on less items on air and makes money off of less items that are higher priced.

If they want to stay competitive, I think they should improve their website.  More photos showing more detail.  A short video for every item.

They should also upsell more items when they do long product presentations.  They have tons of items online that get no air time.  I think they could drive more web traffic by promoting more items.

I'd love to see a customer reward program beyond Easy Pays (which benefit them by encouraging sales for higher priced items).

I would like to add to to your more photos suggestion. They should add photos for all views of EVERY color of an item offered. Currently they show all views of one choice and one view of the rest. This is most important when the choices vary as to pattern. And I would like a photo of the soles of every shoe, like all the other major online shoe vendors. 

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

I would like to see some incentives based on the $$$ amount I was spending. Spend $100? Get 10% off, etc. just today I ordered from a shop online and when I placed my item in the bag, a message appeared that said, "Just $21.50 to go for free shipping." Of course I spent that extra money. I earn rewards dollars to use at any of the Gap family stores just by using their Visa card. Q could do something like that. As it is now, it is a one-way street, there is no giving back to us.

Spending more than intended just to get free shipping is a sales gimmick that very often works but spending more than I wanted would never entice me to fall for this.  I do like the idea of incentives based on amounts spent - maybe even free shipping for a week or even month for those who do purchase a lot.  They could also send codes for certain percentages off or free shipping like HSN and Evine and many other retailers do.  While it doesn't affect what I purchase since I know I willl never have a problem in the event that something is damaged or defective ( that is a huge reason I shop here), it would be great if they showed more appreciation for their customers' business.