Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts wearing heavy makeup

You know I never paid much attention to what false eyelashes do to a person (as far as looks).

However, I've watched other people take them off (on TV shows and maybe on QVC when they do no make skits).

It REALLY makes a difference.  I know with me.  I REALLY (big letters) look old and plain, etc. without mascara on.  You can hardly see my eyes.

But when I put on mascara and line my eyes (inside rim) they really show up the way I like them to look.

I have always found it fascinating how we see ourselves versus how other's see us.

I equate it to how WE hear our voice and how other's hear us.  It's a vast difference.

Go here for an interesting explanation as to WHY we sound different to ourselves versus when we hear a recording of ourselves.  pssttt:  It's a quick video explanation.  

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20130913-why-we-hate-hearing-our-own-voice

Incidentally, I don't hate my voice.  I just don't like the way other's hear me.  I like what I hear better.

Honored Contributor

We poor Californians. We apparently are responsible for the drug epidemic and everything else that some people abhor.

Funny thing, we are a huge, diverse state that is at the helm of the country's economony and that runs the gamut of all persuasions of everything.

I guess I could name states that I might not want to live in, but I don't think that that is either fair or wise.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We poor Californians. We apparently are responsible for the drug epidemic and everything else that some people abhor.

Funny thing, we are a huge, diverse state that is at the helm of the country's economony and that runs the gamut of all persuasions of everything.

I guess I could name states that I might not want to live in, but I don't think that that is either fair or wise.

I'd also add that it's unkind and rude.    No one appreciates someone insulting their home state, especially if they love it and have pride in it, which most of us do.

I think we all have places we would not like to live, and have personal reasons for it.  But, no need to insult those who do live there and like it.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

I don't watch late night QVC but the eye makeup doesn't affect my life and the teenagers, young adults, and middle aged women I see in real life rarely wear it this heavy and if they did, that's thier personal choice, I'd give them some admiration for their artistry. 

As for this sense of disdain for "the Other", and the rude "LaLa land" (as if the rest of the nation isn't troubled), these attitudes are poisonous to all of us, inside and out.  I don't understand why anyone is willing to paint an entire area of the country as being filled with terrible people except for allowing their thinking to be coopted.  Just stop allowing it.  It's that simple. 

For your good mental and physical health, keep this clip in mind: about responding with negative feelings toward people.  This is applicable to groups as well as individuals:

Over time, this response puts stress on our bodies, conditioning us to be more skeptical of a person’s actions than we would be if we felt neutral about them.  In the mind, the neural connections become stronger and cause us to dwell more on the negative aspects of that person. 

Even if they were to do something positive, we’d pay more attention to the negative because that’s what we’ve trained our brain to do. This explains why we have a seemingly endless list of negative facts about people we dislike, even if our rational brain would tell us there has to be something redeeming about them.

This heightened arousal of our fearful instincts causes us to dread future interactions with people we dislike. In turn, this conditions us into even further dislike of that person, which just validates our negative feelings. In this way, our distaste for another person becomes like a snake eating its tail: we dislike them because they make us feel bad, and we feel bad because we dislike them.

@Spurt  I hope you'll think of this the next time you see another CA license plate.  Aside from that and most importantly, have enjoyable and safe drives.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@cbrite  Pack up and head on over to Va.  Admittedly we are struggling here lately.

I’m a 4th Generation from Alexandria (Va) and I understand what you’re saying.

These days most of the people living in the Va/DC area are transplants from LaLa Land 😩

The changes I’ve seen in the past few years...not good.  

I’m working at getting health(ier).  Don’t let “stuff” get you down.  

Take care and know you aren’t alone.  There are lots of us who keep on keeping on!  What does that mean..anyway?😻

I am about 6 miles from Alexandria...I honestly don't know where you come up with this stuff.  

Honored Contributor

I could call all those complaining about where someone lives as being overly boorish or acting like an old biddy; but that might be insulting to boors & old biddys.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I have no issue with the makeup they wear.  What bothers me is all those hosts and vendors selling skin care (to reduce wrinkles) and it is so obvious they have had some sort of cosmetic surgery.  Should be a disclaimer.  Seems dishonest.  How am I aware you ask?  I worked in places where the FIX was done. I don't blame them I just don't think they should be selling products without fessing up. 

Honored Contributor

Again....posters making fun and denigrating this great country.