Honored Contributor

GREAT TIME FOR GARDENING SHOWS

I said this on another thread, but gardening deserves a positive thread of its own.

January is the perfect time to work on the garden -  seeing, planning, buying, and if you live in the right places - planting.

Thank you, QVC, for giving us color and texture beyond sweaters and coats and scarves.  Perfecrt timing!

Respected Contributor

Re: GREAT TIME FOR GARDENING SHOWS

@millieshops wrote:

I said this on another thread, but gardening deserves a positive thread of its own.

January is the perfect time to work on the garden -  seeing, planning, buying, and if you live in the right places - planting.

Thank you, QVC, for giving us color and texture beyond sweaters and coats and scarves.  Perfecrt timing!

I don't know where you live, but we are in Zone 1 and believe me it is entirely too early for a gardening show.  What good would it do to till the soil when it rains almost every day and we will have a number of freezing nights, so seed would be too early.  It would be better for everyone to wait until mid February.  I love the color and excitement of spring prep and planting,but not when it's going to 28 tonight.  And if they wait to ship until they think it's time for you to receive your plants, etc. they come way too late for us every year.

Respected Contributor

I agree.  I do my planning (and dreaming....sigh) now.  In a couple of months I won't have time to plan as I'll be out in my yard and gardens cleaning up the winter messes and preparing the beds and turning over new beds.

I guess I'm crazy (not that that's a bad thing IMHO) because I enjoy dreaming of my pool and garden when it's 10 degrees outside and dreaming and planning for Christmas when it's 90!

Respected Contributor

I agree.  There is a nice variety of gardening and outdoor products too.  I'm wanting those sheep. 

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

I agree.  I do my planning (and dreaming....sigh) now.  In a couple of months I won't have time to plan as I'll be out in my yard and gardens cleaning up the winter messes and preparing the beds and turning over new beds.

I guess I'm crazy (not that that's a bad thing IMHO) because I enjoy dreaming of my pool and garden when it's 10 degrees outside and dreaming and planning for Christmas when it's 90!

Guess I must be crazy too, lol. This is the perfect time to start planning this year's gardens. Beats back the winter chill and gives me something to look forward to.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@PerkupI do get you can't plant where you are -  I spent 60+ years of my life in PA and NY.

However, it's just not too early.  Remember that we who live south have had nothing to shop for in any clothing show for months and months.  Even the shoes are pretty much wasted as far as I'm concerned.

So what you seem to be telling me is that I should have been shouting about the absence of appropriate clothing for my climate - all that bundling was wasted on me although I certainly did save my clothing dollars all winter. 

KInd of ironically - even HSN shows only totally inappropriate clothing from October to March even though their studios are said to be in Florida.

Again -  gardening shows are totally appropriate right now as far as I'm concerned!  And the thousands of buyers today seem to be backing me up even if they're not here on the forums.

Respected Contributor

I love the gardening shows too, but don't send me the plants I order right now.  I'm in maintenance mode right now, not planting. 

Honored Contributor

I wrote this on the other thread but it bears repeating.  It is traditional to focus on gardening in January.  

If you're a true gardener, then January is the month you plan your garden and spend time with gardening catalogs.  QVC's offerings aren't even shipped until the time is right for someone's zone, so to say it's too early is wrong.  It's only too early if you don't understand gardens.

My favorite quote about gardening is:  Gardening is doing what you have to do, when you have to do it, whether you want to do it or not.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup ~ this was started as a positive thread about garden shows.  LOL

Yes, this is the perfect time for garden shows!  This is the time of year I'm taking inventory of garden tools, studying garden catalogs (they arrive in Dec!), and planning additions and changes to my gardens.  I'm drawing up plans on paper and cutting out photos of new plants I want to buy.  This gets me thru the long, cold winter here.    It's snowing here right now and 20 degrees.  As soon as Christmas is passed, I'm excited for spring!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I would image that the companies – like Roberta’s – need to know the demand to know how many to plant so they can meet that demand. Now is the time to take the orders so they can be sure to have enough on hand to meet the demand when people want the actual plant.

It is like that in many industries. Toy Fair is held in NY every February so the stores can place their orders for the following holiday season. In many instances prototypes are shown and orders are placed so the manufacturing can begin early enough to meet the demand and deliver finished product on time. Same thing for seasonal clothing….the design, showing and ordering goes on long before the end customer is ready to wear the item. There is much logistical planning in every item we buy and use – from design, to manufacture/growing to packing, shipping, receiving, display and finally in the hands of the end-user. While we are not ready to use those plants now, it seems logical they would be interested in getting sense of what the QVC customers want when the time comes.

I am not a gardener, just thinking from a general business perspective.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.