Super Contributor

Re: English Language...STOP!!!!

[ Edited ]

There are two words that are so commonly misused today, that drive me nuts: farther and further. 

I honestly think folks don't know they are two different words, with two different meanings. I hear it so much on TV now, once on a PBS Kids show! "She's checking to see which paper airplane went further". I caught it instantly. But my exhausted response at the TV fell on deaf ears. Most think I'm over thinking the words, and should "know" what they meant. 😒  

I don't have perfect grammer, nor writing skills, but those two words just "set my tith on edge", as Ricky Richardo would say. 

Screenshot_2016-09-23-19-40-05-1.png

Honored Contributor

Doesn't bother me.

Trusted Contributor

According to Merriam-Webste, conversate is indeed a word and has been in use for roughly 200 years.  Just because the OP (and others) do not like it does not mean it is wrong.

While I may not like it, I recognize it is real.  What most people fail to acknowledge when it comes to works that (they think) are new is that English is a living language.  New words constantly com into use and others fall out of favor.  The English we speak and write today is different from 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 200 years ago, etc.  English is not static. 

Frequent Contributor

And whan people leave off the end of a word. i.e. gorge for gorgous. delish for delicious. For pete's sake, say the whole word!  I would think a professional salesperson, reporter, TV personality would speak proper English. Guess not anymore........

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The inclusion of a word in a dictionary is not recognition of its acceptance. Lots of words are in the dictionary that are noted as being non standard, including "conversate," which is termed a back-formation. This type of word is made by removing a portion of an existing word, such as the suffix. So we get conversate from conversation. Not all back-formation words are considered standard. The one in question is considered non standard. Merriam-Webster.com is my source. 

Valued Contributor

Unfortuantely, this a reflection of our government run school system.  We are graduating kids who can't write and spell correctly and then they wonder why they can't find a decent paying job when they graduate from college.  I feel like our whole society has become lazy.  We dress lazy, we speak lazy, we write lazy.  I think technology is really beginning to take over our lives and not in a good way.

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

We just got a new version of MS Office at work. When writing up an e-mail and "you're" is the correct verbiage, Outlook flags it and wants to replace it with "your."

It simply cannot tell the grammar difference (which it used to be able to do).

I am pretty much convinced that will the advent of texting and participants making quick comments on websites, that the contraction "you're" is going to eventually go by the wayside and "your" will be accepted in it's place.

Oh, good heavens.....I hope not.  This your/you're thing drives me crazy.  As well as there, their, and they're!  And there are more.  Geesh!

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your post.  It is probably something we are all thinking, but do not say.  I am a product of schools that put the emphasis on the 3 R's.  Apparently that is not the case anymore.  I am all for technology, but not when it ignores the basics.  I have 2 small granddaughters and I fear that their educational needs will not be met if they have to rely totally on technology.  Thank goodness my daughter (their mother) reads and she has passed this love on to them.  More often than not, they are reading rather than watching television or playing electronic games.  Not sure they even have that luxury.  They do use Kindles to read with, but as long as they are reading, I think that method is all right!!!

Honored Contributor

Every generation bemoans the downfall of society and civilization. Apparently, each generation is the last bastion of civility and knowledge.

Balderdash, I say. :-) And to blame "government-run" schools. Please. Universal education is a fairly modern invention, and thank goodness for it. If you must point fingers, don't forget the role of the family or caretakers in encouraging children to love learning.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Really, this is what bothers you in what's going on in the world we live in today?  At least it is the English language!