Respected Contributor

Re: Clothing and handbags do not have a gender.

While it is true that many languages label certain non-living items as male or female, I doubt that people will refer to tables, for example, as "she."

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

If I'm not allowed to use gender pronouns for people any longer, I'll save mine up and apply them to things.  I like the idea.   

My alarm clock, she woke me up this morning.

Or,  this top, isn't he/she/other,  gorrrr-ge-oussss?!?!    @Johnnyeager

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops well obviously we all like different things but I'm just the opposite on the IM/SK pairing.  I really like Isaac but prefer watching the shows where he is paired with someone other than Shawn. Then I actually get info on the products rather than having to try and parse thru the nonsense they do together.  Just my personal preference.

And I don't particularly enjoy any of the hosts referring to products as "she". I realize that other languages do have words based on gender but English doesn't so it comes off as affected to me.  and yes it is all marketing

Esteemed Contributor

@Daysdee why does she do anything? IMO she does it simply to be "cute" and others picked it up. I have found the best thing I can do is not watch any show she is on which is kind of annoying too since she is often hosting shows I might want to watch!

Contributor

My DH refers to his car as "she" .... so why not clothes.

Respected Contributor

@Daysdee,

That's another quirk I don't get.  They shorten certain words like span for spandex, poly for polyester, but add extra words for "today"----- "on the day".  Strange. 

Respected Contributor

@Mona_L wrote:

@Retired08 wrote:

@blueLagoon wrote:

Spanish:

la blusa = blouse  (la is feminine ... her)

As I remember this, the la is used to indicate that it is a blouse for a woman, not a shirt for a man.  Not to make the blouse a "she". 

@Retired08 No, that's not correct.  For instance .. if talking about lady's perfume ... in Spanish it is: 

el perfume

La vendedora le traerá el perfume que quiere.

(Therefore, the word 'perfume' is masculine.)

@Mona_L

All I remember about my French class is that La is feminine and Le was masculine.    I didn't take Spanish. 

Respected Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

@Georgiagrama I also don't understand why she started saying "on the day."  Makes no sense to me.  What is wrong with "today"?

@Daysdee

I still haven't figured out how you can have something "on the day".Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes, boats have been given feminine names and both boats and autos have been referred to by some as "she".  Military aircraft are often, unofficially, given the names of the pilot's wife or girlfriend.  My father, nor my husband, nor our sons, nor I ever referred to our vehicles as she or her.  So, while it's done, it's not done by everyone, not by a long shot. 

Giving clothing and handbags a feminine pronoun is something new that I have only heard on TV shopping channels.  It is not done by the majority of English speaking people.