Honored Contributor

@just wonder wrote:

Is it in style to shorten people's names when talking with them in public/on air?  One QVC host does this repeatedly and I find it rather unpleasant, but maybe that's the new way to speak and address the people you are communicating with?  

@just wonder 

Surely you must realize that these people also speak to each other off camera ... right?  They may have known each other for years, or go out for drinks every now and then.  You have no idea what therir real relationship is like.

I suspect that if a nickname was unwanted, it would have been dealt with off-camera, and wouldn't happen on camera.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree @Tinkrbl44 

Amy

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't know what you are referring to, Catchie.

I don't either.     

@Tinkrbl44 @chrystaltree 

Amy.

I think I've heard at least two other hosts do it as well.  Possibly David and Shawn.

It is annoying because if I tell you my name is Suzanne, I expect to be called Suzanne.  I did not tell you my  name is "Suz" and so why are you calling me that???? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Am I missing something?

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@just wonder wrote:

Is it in style to shorten people's names when talking with them in public/on air?  One QVC host does this repeatedly and I find it rather unpleasant, but maybe that's the new way to speak and address the people you are communicating with?  

@just wonder 

Surely you must realize that these people also speak to each other off camera ... right?  They may have known each other for years, or go out for drinks every now and then.  You have no idea what therir real relationship is like.

I suspect that if a nickname was unwanted, it would have been dealt with off-camera, and wouldn't happen on camera.

@Tinkrbl44 

The hosts, specifically Amy, do this to callers, as well.  It's not about hosts and vendors, it is about hosts and callers. 

Esteemed Contributor

@just wonder wrote:

@just wonder- I suppose if the person who is being addressed doesn't mind, it really doesn't matter.  People (even my father) shorten my name and its not long to begin with, I don't mind.

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I missing something?

[ Edited ]

The host and vendors can use nicknames or pet phrases for each other all they want OFF CAMERA....but on camera this is a business and to me that is going to confuse new viewers and new customers who may like the line and want to check out other merchandise as well, or had a question about a product and want to ask a question on the vendor's or host's Facebook Page but aren't given real names to do so....Its just unprofessional!!!!.... and its these same hosts that view QVC as their personal talk show ..and they are so self focused and even view themselves as the main model and hold up the show while they change clothes on air and on camera too ---let the real models model....Woman Frustrated  By all means do I want hosts to show personality but they also need to remember what their job really is....  I really think they need to change up FASHIONS NIGHT IN with some different hosts!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”