Valued Contributor

Is it in style to shorten people's names when talking with them in public/on air?  One QVC host does this repeatedly and I find it rather unpleasant, but maybe that's the new way to speak and address the people you are communicating with?  

Respected Contributor

I hate that too.  It's not like she's talking to a person with a 7-syllable name and needs the short version to be able to pronounce it. It's silly. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know what you are referring to, Catchie.

Honored Contributor

I think its rather presumptuous when speaking to someone you scarcely know to assign them a nickname.  Perhaps they don't want to be known by the name you choose but prefer their own choice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

The shortening of name's is ridiculous. I think ridiculous is my go to word now, lol

Respected Contributor

I think out of respect you should call a person by their name, unless you know them very well, a good friend. What I think is going on the host wants you believe she and the vendor are very good friends. It is another selling tactic which I find annoying and yes, ridiculous.

Valued Contributor

It's especially annoying when the "nickname" isn't even a name.   Some names don't lend themselves to being shortened.

Trusted Contributor

It's silly and annoying.  I know exactly who you're talking about and refuse to ever watch.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I think its rather presumptuous when speaking to someone you scarcely know to assign them a nickname.  Perhaps they don't want to be known by the name you choose but prefer their own choice.

@Kachina624      You are SO RIGHT..........and being 4'10".......you can guess what some folks "hung on me"...........UGH!    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I like it.  It's cute, fun,  endearing and engaging.  Just like the host.