Honored Contributor

As I said, I thought she was pretty bad.  However, QVC should take most of the blame for her unsuccessful run as they were the ones who hired her.  I'm sure she wasn't any different then than she was when they let her go.  

You would think that of all the zillions who apply for these few positions there would be enough brain power on the hiring committee to get it right a little more often than they do.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@CoG wrote:

I hope her leaving is pure speculation.  She's a breath of fresh air.  Her presentation are lively, centered on the products, respectful of designers and developers.  She's sassy but polite, enthusiastic, maybe loud but never screechy, whiny or sing song.  I was hoping they'd targeted BeautyIQ for her niche.  The language is YouTube standard, not at all odd in this context.  Many of the phrases contributors dislike are just common young people's lingo.  

If if she really has moved on Q has foolishly discarded a potentially invaluable asset.  

@CoG Sadly, Alex is indeed gone.  Her last on-air show was last Tuesday, Oct. 10th.  I was following her QVC FB and QVC IG pages, along with the other new hosts, and her pages were gone pretty much immediately.  She posted a short video on IG very recently, so I sent her a message.  She quickly responded that she was definitely let go by QVC.  She said she was not given a reason why (but that sounds odd to me). She was really sweet and thanked me for asking about her.

If you've seen any of her old news segment videos on youtube, she was exactly the same Alex we saw on the Q.  Very fun, high energy, always with a smile or laugh, willing to try anything.  So why did QVC hire her in the first place if they didn't feel she would ultimately be a great addition?  She moved to the West Chester, PA area with her fiancé just for this job. 

Yet they keep others who continue to seem lost in their presentations,  and have far more irritating on-air voices.  I guess they feel that doesn't matter.  Too bad.  I've said it before, Alex was a breath of much needed fresh air for this stuck-in-their-old-ways-TV-sales-company.

@Caaareful Shopper . That's too bad!  I really liked her and among the 5 new she was my second favorite.  (I can't say about the one on leave until I see her soon) . Two others I feel are weak and have annoying voices but that's just me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@CoG wrote:

I hope her leaving is pure speculation.  She's a breath of fresh air.  Her presentation are lively, centered on the products, respectful of designers and developers.  She's sassy but polite, enthusiastic, maybe loud but never screechy, whiny or sing song.  I was hoping they'd targeted BeautyIQ for her niche.  The language is YouTube standard, not at all odd in this context.  Many of the phrases contributors dislike are just common young people's lingo.  

If if she really has moved on Q has foolishly discarded a potentially invaluable asset.  

@CoG Sadly, Alex is indeed gone.  Her last on-air show was last Tuesday, Oct. 10th.  I was following her QVC FB and QVC IG pages, along with the other new hosts, and her pages were gone pretty much immediately.  She posted a short video on IG very recently, so I sent her a message.  She quickly responded that she was definitely let go by QVC.  She said she was not given a reason why (but that sounds odd to me). She was really sweet and thanked me for asking about her.

If you've seen any of her old news segment videos on youtube, she was exactly the same Alex we saw on the Q.  Very fun, high energy, always with a smile or laugh, willing to try anything.  So why did QVC hire her in the first place if they didn't feel she would ultimately be a great addition?  She moved to the West Chester, PA area with her fiancé just for this job. 

Yet they keep others who continue to seem lost in their presentations,  and have far more irritating on-air voices.  I guess they feel that doesn't matter.  Too bad.  I've said it before, Alex was a breath of much needed fresh air for this stuck-in-their-old-ways-TV-sales-company.

I agree, she was a breath of fresh air.  Back to the old, stale qvc.  I think she will get back on news segments again which is a step up career wise in my opinion.

Esteemed Contributor
@Bri36

Thank you for posting this. I feel sorry for her. If you communicate again with her tell
Her some of us here really liked her and sincerely wish her well in her new endeavors. Never give up or give in
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

QVC probably thought her energy might attract a younger demographic, but too me her teenage slang was a tad too much and was a turn off instead........And sorry why would she and her fiancee move to West Chester before she had a signed contract in hand....sounds like to use the old cliche, "she counted her chickens before they hatched".......And thats quite a resume of jobs already in her young career...maybe thats sort of "sign"............

Probation is exactly that, probation. There's no contracts signed; you're trying out for six months. The Q hired the best and tries them out, like many businesses.

Reasons for not making it can be numerous: she may not get along with others; she may not be a team player; she may have have many complaints called in about her; she might not have had a necessary sales quota; she might not have cared for the hours she was

given.

I didn't think she was a good choice as a viewer and customer. And I don't think it's fair to blame the Q or shame them. Those selected know what they're going through. No one can know an employee fully and see how they will work out until they see them in action.

There were 10,000 who were willing to go through the trials and tribulations of probation, so there's no surprises there.

Alex may well be better suited and happier with something else. Not everyone is meant to be a good host.

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

As I said, I thought she was pretty bad.  However, QVC should take most of the blame for her unsuccessful run as they were the ones who hired her.  I'm sure she wasn't any different then than she was when they let her go.  

You would think that of all the zillions who apply for these few positions there would be enough brain power on the hiring committee to get it right a little more often than they do.

Some jobs need probation and the need to see performance on the job over a period of time. Probation is necessary for hosts. I can't see blame or shame on the Q or on Alex.

She's on to better and more suited things for herself. I'm sure the Q would like for their picks to all succeed but that's unlikely.

Honored Contributor

I totally agree that QVC does not owe anyone a permanent job.  You’re either an asset to them as a host, or you’ll need to find other employment.  That’s simple and fair.  My thoughts were more about the Q’s threshold for failure.  I see other new hosts that are still finding their way and voice, and hopefully they are still getting the training they need to succeed.  

Alex had the same grammar, slang, and manner in all of her past videos, sometimes even using the same words.  I cannot think QVC was surprised at what they got.  Of course no one owes the customer any explanations about their hiring decisions, it’s just musings and wonderings.  

Respected Contributor

Lots of speculation here, but sounds like to me it came from QVC end of the deal. I doubt she would leave so soon, IF indeed she did move to Pa. 

BTW- I saw that Katie McGee did say, Mary Beth mentors ALL new hosts. Alex might have been too unique in her owns ways,lol.  

*I didn't care for her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

BTW- I saw that Katie McGee did say, Mary Beth mentors ALL new hosts. Alex might have been too unique in her owns ways,lol.  

I heard that Mary Beth is now training all the new hosts, mentoring all new hosts seems to be a bit much for her to take on considering she also still hosts shows herself. I do not see how she could be mentoring 5 brand new host plus the last 3 or 4 they hired before that.

Super Contributor

I'm back to thinking 5 were hired but Q never expected all 5 to remain after the probationary period. Seems more likely when Alex was let go as soon as Kristine Zell (hope I got that name right) returned from maternity leave.

None of us know the "why" for sure, but I find it hard to believe QVC would not have used that probationary period to offer constructive feedback on changes they would like Alex to make to her hosting style. Her pre-Q videos showed she had potential; she certainly wasn't timid or lacking in confidence! Sometimes employers will hire based on the potential they see, but still expect new hires to work on aspects that the employer feels needs improvement. That's what the probationary period is for, at least one of the reasons anyway.....in my opinion.

Never mistake kindness for weakness