Respected Contributor

Re: What can I put on my dogs to help itchy skin?

You'd be surprised how quick a steroid shot from the vet will give them relief. They're miserable, please don't be stubborn about the steroid. Our dogs have never had fleas but one had terrible allergies. It gets to the point where nothing helps but the steroid.  Benadryl can help but be careful as it can dry them out more=More itching

Valued Contributor

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts & advice.  I have been wondering abt if I rinsed the Dawn off enough!  But then I did put them in an oatmeal bath afterward. I thought it would help. I actually sit them down in it. I went over to Petco a little while ago & bought him his old dog food. I had him on it since a baby, it was Blue but "life protection." A couple of months ago I changed him over to Blue grain free. So got to thinking, he never ever scratched on it. Maybe we should go back. And there is a Natural Food store right next door so I picked up some Aloe Vera to put on.  I have some benedryl too. I am going to rinse him & put the Aloe Vera on him. Hoping some of it will help. Poor baby! I got the flea comb out & did get abt 5 fleas off him. Probably that many off the 16 yr old. Havent caught our new little rescue girl.  I don't want to scare her so will maybe just rinse her. I stopped by a friends house when out & her 2 little ones were scratching but not as bad as mine. She is fighting the fleas too. 

Respected Contributor

Omg I tried Blue because our dog with allergies also had a sensitive stomach. It made her so much worse!  You might be on to something. I know it's supposed to be all that but it sure didn't work for us. Maybe that's the problem. 

Valued Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

Omg I tried Blue because our dog with allergies also had a sensitive stomach. It made her so much worse!  You might be on to something. I know it's supposed to be all that but it sure didn't work for us. Maybe that's the problem

I am going to change him. I use to have a dog that was allergic to everything! But this one has never been allergic. So going to change the food. See how that works. But all three of mine are scraching. Funny after all the running around today getting stuff to help them, came home they are all piled up asleep right now! But I am happy they are all getting a little rest from the itching!  Will start baths with whoever wakes up first!

Frequent Contributor

Pardon me but when you say Dawn do you mean the dish soap?  I hope not because that strip oils off the skin.  I actually went to a dermatologist who told be to stop using it as it is so caustic.  In any event, as someone mentioned earlier,  omega oils in their food is essential and a tincture of time for their coats to regulate back to normal.   A steroid injection in the meantime will soothe them fast.  

Trusted Contributor

When you use the aloe vera, it will seem thick and messy.   But it gets absorbed into the skin and the hair gets soft and not wet and sticky.    It is great that it can be ingested safely, so no worries about their licking themselves.  

My 18 lb Lhasa was prescribed 1 Benedryl as much as 3 x daily.    One every 12 hrs or more was enough.   There are other human antihistamines that work, also, like Chlortrimeton.  

The scratching can lead to skin infections.   Also, yeast can mimic allergies.   Let a vet diagnose this.  

Changing food will not result in immediate results.   The effects of the food stays in their system for weeks.  

You are being wise to notice changes in their environment/food.   Journal keeping can lead to ideas that could help solve the situation.   Good luck with the new vet.  

Valued Contributor

Dawn contains Methylisothiazolinone which is a preservative used in many thing, I.e., lotions, shampoos, cosmetics, etc.  Both my husband and Mom had to discontinue using Wen because it also contains Methylisothiazolinone.  I now have to buy shampoo, lotion, and even those personal wipes and make sure that they do not have Methylisothiazolinonelisted in the ingredients.  Do a Google search.  Lots of people and babies have developed terrible itching and rashes from using products containing Methylisothiazolinone.  HTH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Please don't wash your dogs with Dawn- that is wayyy too harsh for their skin. They use Dawn to remove oil off of birds and other animals when there is an oil spill, that is how harsh it is.

Please use a gentle shampoo that is formulated specifically for dogs' pH.

It sounds like you may be creating a viscious cycle with all the treatments and such and now changing foods, etc so maybe just take a step back and start making gradual changes. I am not one to push medications and such but maybe giving the dogs some relief by doing one injection and then you can start fresh with the bare minimum. No more Dawn, please please please.

But I'd really recommend seeing a vet and finding out the cause of the itching. As others said, it could be all kinds of things and doing a whole bunch of stuff could make it worse, not better.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lovemyboots wrote:

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts & advice.  I have been wondering abt if I rinsed the Dawn off enough!  But then I did put them in an oatmeal bath afterward. I thought it would help. I actually sit them down in it. I went over to Petco a little while ago & bought him his old dog food. I had him on it since a baby, it was Blue but "life protection." A couple of months ago I changed him over to Blue grain free. So got to thinking, he never ever scratched on it. Maybe we should go back. And there is a Natural Food store right next door so I picked up some Aloe Vera to put on.  I have some benedryl too. I am going to rinse him & put the Aloe Vera on him. Hoping some of it will help. Poor baby! I got the flea comb out & did get abt 5 fleas off him. Probably that many off the 16 yr old. Havent caught our new little rescue girl.  I don't want to scare her so will maybe just rinse her. I stopped by a friends house when out & her 2 little ones were scratching but not as bad as mine. She is fighting the fleas too. 

Love my boots,  You sound like an excellent dog mommy.  It is awful when you are trying to figure something like this out.  All you want to do is find relief for them.  I have been there........we all have.  It sounds like you are figuring it out and there have been many wonderful suggestions on here.  Good luck with your new vet on Monday.  Try to have a peaceful weekend.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Lovemyboots wrote:

We can't do Revolution till the 20th of this month.  And the oldest one can't do it at all. She can't take any vaccines or any chemicals at all. She is highly allergic. I have been giving her oatmeal baths. And putiing natural oils on her. And combing with flea comb. She is miserable. The other 2, I have washed in Dawn & then put them also in an oatmeal bath to try to soothe their skin & also flea comb at least 3 times a day. All are starting to run when they see me coming!  On the yard we did do the bug b gone but in the house we did DE. Which is suppose to be natural. Yesterday we steam cleaned the carpet in the den. The rest of the house is wood floors. Well except the bedroom. The dogs stay inside all day because be are having such hot weather. They just run out just off the deck & do their business & come right back in.  They didn't start this terrible scratching till I did the Dawn. But I followed up with oatmeal bath.  Oh & I have an appointment Monday with a new vet in town that I was told leans toward all natural treatments. Hoping she can help. But that is Monday. 3 more days of misery for my babies! 

Lovemyboots:

What did you find out at your new vet on Monday?  Did she offer any new ideas for fleas or itching skin?  I am sure there are many on here that would like to know how it went......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!