Valued Contributor

Re: What can I put on my dogs to help itchy skin?

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Lovemyboots wrote:

We can't do Revolution till the 20th of this month.  And the oldest one can't do it at all. She can't take any vaccines or any chemicals at all. She is highly allergic. I have been giving her oatmeal baths. And putiing natural oils on her. And combing with flea comb. She is miserable. The other 2, I have washed in Dawn & then put them also in an oatmeal bath to try to soothe their skin & also flea comb at least 3 times a day. All are starting to run when they see me coming!  On the yard we did do the bug b gone but in the house we did DE. Which is suppose to be natural. Yesterday we steam cleaned the carpet in the den. The rest of the house is wood floors. Well except the bedroom. The dogs stay inside all day because be are having such hot weather. They just run out just off the deck & do their business & come right back in.  They didn't start this terrible scratching till I did the Dawn. But I followed up with oatmeal bath.  Oh & I have an appointment Monday with a new vet in town that I was told leans toward all natural treatments. Hoping she can help. But that is Monday. 3 more days of misery for my babies! 

Lovemyboots:

What did you find out at your new vet on Monday?  Did she offer any new ideas for fleas or itching skin?  I am sure there are many on here that would like to know how it went......

Well, we went & took our little rescue & while talking to her (vet) she was checking her over, & she found that Maggie has bladder stones.  She took her & did an xray & she had 2 large & was full of small ones. Never had a dog that had this before. But this is the little one found running on the highway.  We have never found her home. We have had her around 2 months. Anyway I think we went from worring about itching to worring about that!  We took Maggie in a little while ago to undergo surgery.  Vet will see us this afternoon & I will try to remember what we orginally went in for. I know that sounds bad but I just got off track when she found the stones, then looking at xray & discussing that.  She did say when we were first talking that putting them in an oatmeal bath was really good for the itch & she did not recommend the dawn at all. She said that sometimes she would put them for severe itch on benedryl for a few days to help get it under control & for give the dog some relief.  She said lots of people coming in with flea problems. I will have to remember this afternoon when I pick Maggie up to ask her again. My fault I just got off track. The stones became priority!

Esteemed Contributor

My gosh, you have so much going on right now!  I hope your little one does well today.  I understand why you didn't make it past the bladder stones in conversation!  You should name that little one "Lucky".  Write when can - don't worry!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

My gosh, you have so much going on right now!  I hope your little one does well today.  I understand why you didn't make it past the bladder stones in conversation!  You should name that little one "Lucky".  Write when can - don't worry!

I posted in another topic here on her going in for surgery today. She is home. Sleeping. She is on pain meds & antibiotic. I also posted a picture there of the stones! For a little 13 lb girl, I thought they were huge!  Poor baby moans every so often. I hope she feels some better tomorrow!