Valued Contributor

What can I put on my dogs to help itchy skin?

Now that we have been giving so many baths & doing all the cleaning & work on trying to get rid of fleas, now my dogs are so itchy that it is driving them nuts!  Is there something that I can put on them that would help with the itchy skin?  I don't want to put them on cortosone drugs & that is what the vet is suggesting to help the itch!  NO I don't want to do that!  Was hoping someone could share something that would work. Too many baths trying to kill fleas!  My poor babies are having a miserable summer!  Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Re: What can I put on my dogs to help itchy skin?

First I suggest you stop with all the chemicals and flea baths.  Get a natural oatmeal spray - it will soothe the itching, as will some aloe, argon oil,, etc.  I'd also recommend a different vet if the only recommendation for you after all the dipping is more of same and cortisone.  As I previously advised and many others have as well, get Revolution from the vet - the prescription one - no over the counter stuff will work.  Also if you don't break the flea cycle, all the baths and suffering will have been for nothing - I promise you that!

Respected Contributor

Are you sure all the itching is due to flea bites?  The reason I'm asking is that one of our dogs kept itching only to find out that she was allergic to her food.  Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

What you have been doing may be causing the itching.  Your dogs need to see a vet, get a medicated bath and some medication for the itching.  We have this problem with our Sheltie.  The medicated bath (not something you buy at the pet store) that the vet gives works wonders. He is on a pill for the itching - apparently an allergy to grass.  He is comfortable and doesn't need any dipping.  As for the fleas, there are meds for that, too. But PLEASE let your vet do the choosing. Not everything works for all dogs. AND BE SURE YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING TO PREVENT HEARTWORM.  There are treatments that kill fleas, ticks, mosquitoes and thus prevent heartworm. You need to rely on medical professional help rather than the do it yourself stsuff.

Not to sound unkind to you - I am sure you want to help your pups - but it sounds as though they are suffering. You wouldn't allow a loved one to continue that without medical help. Please do the same for your four legged friends.

Trusted Contributor

The best topical relief I found for dog skin itchies is PURE Aloe Vera, left on.    The dog's diet needs Omega oils.    You can ****** your own capsules and put some on the food.    Sitting in an oatmeal bath can help.

Sometimes, if the condition is bad and to stop the cycle, one cortisone shot provides temporary relief while you relieve the inflammation on the skin.    NO action relieves the condition immediately.

Have you made sure that there is no allergy present?    Does the dog get a grain free diet?    Have you tried a raw diet?    Has the dog been tested for alergies?    

I had an environmentally allergic dog and belong to a dog allergy group.

Honored Contributor

First,get a gentle dog shampoo, with oatmeal in it, second, add a vitamin e tablet to their food once a day, get some mother earth apple cider vinegar, it has a cloudy look,many brand names,braggs in mostly ,what is out there,real good stuff, in a spray bottle, add half of this with half water,spray on your dogs,and brush them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

And flea bites can itch a dog for a week AFTER the fleas are gone.    And the flea life cycle means they can return in weeks.

Valued Contributor

We can't do Revolution till the 20th of this month.  And the oldest one can't do it at all. She can't take any vaccines or any chemicals at all. She is highly allergic. I have been giving her oatmeal baths. And putiing natural oils on her. And combing with flea comb. She is miserable. The other 2, I have washed in Dawn & then put them also in an oatmeal bath to try to soothe their skin & also flea comb at least 3 times a day. All are starting to run when they see me coming!  On the yard we did do the bug b gone but in the house we did DE. Which is suppose to be natural. Yesterday we steam cleaned the carpet in the den. The rest of the house is wood floors. Well except the bedroom. The dogs stay inside all day because be are having such hot weather. They just run out just off the deck & do their business & come right back in.  They didn't start this terrible scratching till I did the Dawn. But I followed up with oatmeal bath.  Oh & I have an appointment Monday with a new vet in town that I was told leans toward all natural treatments. Hoping she can help. But that is Monday. 3 more days of misery for my babies! 

Esteemed Contributor

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup brewed green tea
1 cup distilled water

Spray bottle

My dog not only likes it becauses it stops the itching.  He likes to lick it!  I thought the vinegar would burn irritated skin but it seems to be very soothing.  Maybe the tea helps.  I just know it works for my dog.

Valued Contributor

They are on Heartgard. They are all on grain free Blue. And I give them Coconut oil & brewers yeast doggy treats. All home made. All natural products from health food store! And they drink bottled water. No tap water. Sounds weird but we buy the big bottles & I just fill their water bowl with that water. Since the fleas..I have washed their beds every day.  Maybe detergent? I use tide. No dryer sheets. Keep racking my brain as to what it might be.