Esteemed Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Wednesday report:  Finally, a sunny day in Schmooville!  We had our first dusting of snow, and call me a little crazy, but that first, crisp snow gets the heart pumping.

Mannheim Steamroller Christmas plays in the background while I work away on the Schmoo book.  Only the hardest of hearts doesn't feel the hair on the back of the neck go up during their "Stille Nacht."

Frankie's fructosamine (kitty A1C) came back very high.  We're hoping this look-back isn't a reflection of where we are right now, which is a good direction. She has a checkup with her most excellent vet on Saturday.

She is unmoved by this technical mumbo-jumbo, as is obvious by the photo below.  She has taken to sleeping in a little "nest bed" I created for Fay Wray during the latter part of her illness.  It's up by my head.  DH said, "These kitties in tough times need their Mommy.  I'll go snore in the spare bedroom."

2 a.m., lights on and cotton flannel blankies out in force.  Heaven on earth:

Frankie boodie Mommy SZD.jpg

Respected Contributor

Bless her, Sammycat, Frankie looks so happy and peaceful!  I hope her next checkup goes well!

On another topic, in a recent post you mentioned another forum poster who lost her battle with cancer.  I think you said one of her forum nicknames was "Gemgirl"?  Is that correct?  There was a "Gemgirl" who was, at one time, very active on the Bixby forum on Delphi, but she's not been heard from recently, and I'm worried it might be the same person, and if so, I want to share the sad news with the rest of the Bixby collectors, they would want to know.  TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CamilleP wrote:

Bless her, Sammycat, Frankie looks so happy and peaceful!  I hope her next checkup goes well!

On another topic, in a recent post you mentioned another forum poster who lost her battle with cancer.  I think you said one of her forum nicknames was "Gemgirl"?  Is that correct?  There was a "Gemgirl" who was, at one time, very active on the Bixby forum on Delphi, but she's not been heard from recently, and I'm worried it might be the same person, and if so, I want to share the sad news with the rest of the Bixby collectors, they would want to know.  TIA!

@CamilleP 

I don't think it's her, but I may be wrong.  She was mostly a Judith Ripka fan and gemstones fan.  On the Q forum, her nic was distinct:  Gem Girl -- space and punctuation as I noted.  The only other thing I can offer to them is that when she was excited about a piece of jewelry, she ended a sentence with a double exclamation point !!

Maybe at one time she was, but she and I went back to 2008 and she hardly mentioned Bixby's work outside of her keys. Additionally, she really did not email me after early October, so her health was in steep decline from early September on.  We only spoke by phone until her passing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Sammycat, for getting back to me!  Was the Gem Girl you knew a nurse who lived in Texas?  I know she worked at a hospital, maybe she wasn't a nurse but in the administration side of things, but I know she lived in Texas.  She was doing some custom bead stringing of necklaces for many on the Bixby forum on Delphi, she was very into making her own jewelry to compliment what she purchased.

Anyway, whether it was the same person I am thinking of or not, I am sorry your friend lost her fight against cancer!  We are pretty sure that what killed our old Scottie girl last month was intestinal lymphoma, she got so sick so fast we couldn't even finish the diagnostic work before we had to let her cross the Bridge, she was so very ill.  I hate that "C" word!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CamilleP  No, not the same person.

Your poor Scottie...those intestinal cancers are the worst. My poor friend's cat battled and succumbed to use cancer shortly before she was diagnosed herself.  Smiley Sad

FYI, DH's favorite dog besides his beloved rough collies are scotties. I didn't know if I ever told you that. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thank you, Sammycat, I am relieved that it wasn't the Bixby collector who passed so suddenly, though it would explain why she dropped off the map, so to speak. 

I feel terribly bad for anyone battling any cancer, it's tempting to blame our modern, chemical-filled world, but examinations of 5000 year old Egyptian mummies revealed they suffered from cancerous tumors as well.  Probably a lot of skin cancer, given how close to the equator and  nothing for sunblock except layers of clothing.

I am glad to hear your DH loves Scotties, they are unique little dogs in so many ways.  When I was trying to describe the breed's temperament to potential adopters, I would ask them if they liked cats.  If they said they didn't, I would tell them they wouldn't like Scotties, because Scotties are, essentially, barking cats.  If you ask them to do something, they look at you as if to say "Make it worth my while!"  When they escape the yard and you call them, all you get, as they dash away, is "Talk to the paw, cuz the ears ain't listenin'!"  If you throw a ball, it's "You threw it, YOU go pick it up and bring it back!"  Some dog lovers just cannot handle that sort of personality, but as a lifelong "cat person" the Scottie was the perfect dog for me when I got my first Scottie girl in 1985, and they still are to this day.

Esteemed Contributor

Thursday report:  Another very cold day in Schmoo Town.  (Last night, -16.  More like January weather).  Frankie and I huddled and I cranked up the Duraflame.

Which of course brings me back to my beloved Schmoo and our time with the Duraflame.  His circulation was poor and, frankly, due to being nearly 18, he was getting up in some serious geriatric cat years--so he needed some extra toastiness.

Yet, Schmoo being Schmoo, he appreciated the entire Duraflame experience--not just the heat, but the little flickers of amber in its "flame effect." If a person, he would don his dinner jacket, thoughtfully strike up a pipe and revel in a good brandy.  But, being a cat, he settled for comfortable, deep-dish snoozing:

Schmoo duraflame splendor.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Oh How I love that deep dish snoozer.  He was the most precious boy..

Hugs Dear Friends, Have a nice weekend.

Honored Contributor

Hello Schmoosters, 

I have been looking at all the precious pictures of our furbabies. 

Yes, they are ours, and we share in their triumphs, joys, and tough times too. 

This beloved thread has so much love spilling over. Heart

Everyone, enjoy this Friday, the 13th. 

Honored Contributor

@beastielove , 

I am missing you, and hope you are okay. 

Please let us hear from you. animated-christmas-angel-image-0102.gif