Respected Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter -- 2.0

Happy Saturday @Tissyanne 

Beautifully worded and very touching sentiments.

Thank you,

Respected Contributor

Calling Sweet Frankie ...

Hello Precious One ... I'm hoping your week went well & you continued feeling great.  

I know the rainy weather can be a bummer, but please hold that pretty head of yours high & keep smiling.  Cozy up with your great Mom & Dad and you're all set for the night.

Wishing you pleasant snoozing & sweet dreams.  Sending you many kisses & hugs    Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Sunday report:  Greetings this snowy, icy Sunday evening.

Nine years ago today, I came on this forum--then called "Pet Chat"--and told posters following the several-weeks-long, wretched and mysterious decline of our cat Mister Schmoo our a pet parent nightmare:  Schmoo had biventricular congestive heart failure with maybe days to live.

His vet gave me the bad news on the phone after Schmoo's ultrasound, then said words that still send a chill up my spine:  "This will seriously shorten his life/ Very seriously.  You can come pick him up and take him home to try some medications--or not."

That "or not" rang in my ears while my own heart sledge-hammered in my chest.  At that time, DH worked a split shif tand had been trying to sleep through the distress in the next room. I called the diagnosis to him through tears.

We chose the only decision we could.  Minutes after thinking we'd heard Schmoo's imminent fate, I wrote to Pet Chat Forum posters:  "DH and I have decided to bring Schmoo home today and try.  He is our fighter."

Well, many of you know the rest of this story, which I'm writing a book about--and many of you helped us make it happen. Schmoo proved everyone wrong and died an old Man Cat nearly three years later, an unprecedented survival that his vet--and we--marvel at to this day. 

So if you sometimes feel that hope may be lost, that you're a little down, that the pain you feel you can't sustain, that stress or tough times press down on you, remember our ornery, magical, irascible, relentless, loving, tough kitty fighter and how he forged friendships here, built a community here. Even though his heart was broken, no one had a bigger or more joyful heart. He is the story of all of us.

Schmoo Bear, you remarkable kitty, you'll forever be loved, higher than the sky and higher, always and always:

Schmoo garland dec 12 2.jpg

Valued Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Sunday report:  Greetings this snowy, icy Sunday evening.

Nine years ago today, I came on this forum--then called "Pet Chat"--and told posters following the several-weeks-long, wretched and mysterious decline of our cat Mister Schmoo our a pet parent nightmare:  Schmoo had biventricular congestive heart failure with maybe days to live.

His vet gave me the bad news on the phone after Schmoo's ultrasound, then said words that still send a chill up my spine:  "This will seriously shorten his life/ Very seriously.  You can come pick him up and take him home to try some medications--or not."

That "or not" rang in my ears while my own heart sledge-hammered in my chest.  At that time, DH worked a split shif tand had been trying to sleep through the distress in the next room. I called the diagnosis to him through tears.

We chose the only decision we could.  Minutes after thinking we'd heard Schmoo's imminent fate, I wrote to Pet Chat Forum posters:  "DH and I have decided to bring Schmoo home today and try.  He is our fighter."

Well, many of you know the rest of this story, which I'm writing a book about--and many of you helped us make it happen. Schmoo proved everyone wrong and died an old Man Cat nearly three years later, an unprecedented survival that his vet--and we--marvel at to this day. 

So if you sometimes feel that hope may be lost, that you're a little down, that the pain you feel you can't sustain, that stress or tough times press down on you, remember our ornery, magical, irascible, relentless, loving, tough kitty fighter and how he forged friendships here, built a community here. Even though his heart was broken, no one had a bigger or more joyful heart. He is the story of all of us.

Schmoo Bear, you remarkable kitty, you'll forever be loved, higher than the sky and higher, always and always:

Schmoo garland dec 12 2.jpg

What a special guy he was.  I love this picture of him, he looks so regal, and he was.  Hugs to you and DH.

Esteemed Contributor

Monday report:   @rustysmom thank you for that kind reply to my Schmoo post.  December 15 is always a bittersweet day for us.

Frankie had a checkup starring her and her most excellent vet. She started to have a little diarrhea and be fussy to eat, so we've got to watch for pancreatitis on the horizon. Her blood sugar is up (drats) so we're making adjustments, she had a little fever (stress) and was a true champ during her blood work and X-rays.  We've seen rapid abdominal breathing in her--and she was doing it at the vet, so a heart check is always in order, especially because diabetes usually leads to some sort of heart issue.

But she was clear there, and he thinks it's either belly or orthopedic pain. Adjustments have been made and once her gut settles down, she will be the first kitty in the practice to try a specific CBD oil for pain.

She just wanted to go home.  Here she is with DH on the floor watching a scintillating Liberty Mutual Limu the Emu commercial.  Dazzling:

Frankie Daddy TV SZD.jpg

Respected Contributor

Sweet Mr. Schmoo,

To this very day, your Mom has a wonderful dedication to you on the forum you started.  I'm sorry I wasn't around then to "meet" you, but I love hearing about you & seeing you frequently here.

The pose your Mom posted .. boy, you're one handsome Mr. Schmoo.  Your Mom & Dad certainly had/have bragging rights!

You & your sister, Sweet Fay Wray must be together now.  I'm sure you welcomed her with a big hug & lick.  Stay close together, watch out for one another & meet loads of new furbabies each day.  

One big Happy Family .. From Us to Both of You, we send you loads of hugs & kisses.   Heart

Respected Contributor

Sweet Frankie,

Ah, schucks!

So, you had a bit of an off day, heh?  Well, I've no doubt you'll concur this setback also.  You're one heck of a tough kitty.  We love that about you & that inner strength we admire.  

I don't blame you for wanting to be in your cozy & loving home.  Watching your favorite commercials with Dad close by, making sure you're ok.

Get plenty of rest & loads of love from your Mom & Dad.  Please stay tough & get well.  Lots of love being sent your way.

May the pleasant dreams you have tonight bring you a happier & brighter day tomorrow.  Blessings Little One .. Heart

Trusted Contributor

CBD oil? Far out, man!

PsychedelicCat.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Tuesday report:   We're seeing some improvements in Frankie today--no more runs, for one thing, and more comfortable (especially when her Duraflame heaters are blasting away).  The appetite is back on track since her most excellent vet decreed that we would go with Vitamin B12 injections weekly at a lower dose rather than monthly at a higher one.

She's also drinking and peeing less now that she's on a higher dose of insulin.  So if her gut remains calm and all else stays stable in the next few days, he may give the green light to the CBD oil, which would be in the words of @LonestarBabs , far out.

For now she remains my nighttime snuggle and sleeping buddy, in the tradition of Schmoo.  The other night I put freshly laundered 100% cotton flannel baby blankets on her bed atop ours, and she jumped right in, ready to snooze the snooze of great cats, whiffing deeply of Downy fabric softener:

Frankie fresh bed boodie SZD.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Sweet Sammy, I clearly remember you and DH bringing  The Precious one back home.  I prayed so hard that night that somehow this wonderful loved one would live just a while longer, and over time, we asked for just a little more time.  My beloved children in our Church's bible study prayed feverishly as well.  I truly hope the stories of Mister Schmoo helped them to believe in the power of prayer.  Our Precious Schmoo taught us so many lessons, and I know I continue to learn from him daily. Hugs Dear Friend.