Honored Contributor

My cat Sambo has Feline Asthma and has for a couple of years now.  It has been well under control except for a period last summer (2019) in which the vet had determined it had progressed to COPD.  But, once we got a dehumidifier he got a lot better and then when the dry air of winter hit he found his inner kitten.  He did great all winter and all the way into July this year without needing even one breathing treatment, just his nightly dose of prednisolone.  

In July thru September he had spells where I could tell he wasn't feeling well and normally a couple of breathing treatments and he was back to normal.  If that didn't work there was some extra drugs I could add to his albuterol for the treatments and that would kick it out of his system.  But this time it just wasn't working.  He would feel slightly better after his treatment and go eat a little, but would go downhill quickly.

So, last night I just couldn't stand to see him open mouth breathing and made the decision to take him to the ER.  I knew I would't be able to sleep worrying about him all night if I didn't take him.  Turns out he had a pneumothorax.  He had this happen also when he first was diagnosed with the Feline Asthma, so it wasn't a huge surprise that it could happen again.  I had wondered if it might be the case since his breathing appeared to be fast but shallow.  They tapped his chest last night and got a lot of air off, but afterwards he did not improve like he did the last time he had that done.  He is currently in the oxygen chamber because he can't tolerate breathing room air. 

I'm so afraid I'm going to have to let him go.  I went to visit him this afternoon and we talked about a plan, but if none of that works i don't know that there is anything else left.  It's not like I can strap an oxygen concentrator on him to wear 24 hours a day.  

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess  Sending prayers and good thoughts your way 🙏❤️

Respected Contributor

Sending thoughts and prayers.  God bless.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   I'm so very sorry to read this about Sambo.  I know how hard it is to have a sick pet, and it's even harder to have to make such a hard decision.  I hope he is able to recover from this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sambo needs Prayers

[ Edited ]

@IcegoddessI can tell by your heartfelt words how much you love your sweet Sambo.  My Vet is a very good friend and Vet, and I once had a beautiful white kitty that showed up at my house and just never left.   I named her Whitey  and we became close buddies and I loved her very much.  She developed Pneumonia and a kidney infection, and wasn't responding to the medications and with her aging body I knew her days were limited but I just couldn't let her go.  I was crying and asked my Vet  when should I let her go?  He told me I would know when it was time, and he was right.  Your heart will let you know when it's time to say goodbye to you fur baby.  Sending a hug of comfort to you and Sambo.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess I will remember your furbaby in my prayers.  I'll also remember you for when he dies a tiny piece of your heart will go to be with him.

My late husband's favorite cat (Fabio/Bo) had asthma.

The Vet finally said he could help him by giving him steroids.  But he said sometimes cats will eventually get diabetes from the steroids.  

I had to weigh the chances of him getting diabetes.

The steroids worked for several years (can't remember exactly, but it was at least 3 years).  He could breathe easily like the 'old days'.

Eventually, I started seeing signs of diabetes.  I took him to the vet for a checkup.  He did have diabetes.

After maybe 1 more year of treating him with the diabetes I ended up having to hydrate him.

My friend (the Vet's nurse) came every few days at first hydrating him (he wouldn't let me do it).

Then we slowly ended up having to do it every other day.  For a few days near the end it was every day.

Then she said, "This isn't good.  We are just prolonging the inevitable.  Let's let him go for a few days see how he does.

It only took 2 days and I rushed him to the Vet and that was the end.

It was terrible because my husband had died a few years before.  Fabio loved my husband so much.  When my husband died Fabio would go and sit on his white truck every day (like waiting for him).

Fabio had had a terrible time out in the wilderness when he showed up at our back porch.  Right away we had to pull his front K-nine tooth.  It was broken off.

It was very difficult keeping him in the house.  Every chance he got, he'd run out the door.  Eventually, he got to where he'd be out for a few hours and then come in the house.  Usually, my husband would be outside and that's where Fabio would be right next to him.

When my husband died unexpectedly, we found so many pictures of my husband will Fabio.  It was a family joke that we had more pictures of him with Fabio than with me.

All of my cats (I think there are 6 or 7 (I've lost count) in the china cabinet.  All in wooden boxes with their names on them and the day they died.  They have all been 

cremated.

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry for what you and your cat are going through.  I've been a cat mom for decades and have had to face this decision many times.  Sending you hugs and prayers.  Heart

Valued Contributor

Seeing our pets ill is so heartbreaking and makes us feel so helpless. I pray for the best care and health for your much loved Sambo!

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess I am so sorry to hear about your sick kitty, Sambo.  I hope that it will respond to treatment and stabilize breathing.  I will lift you up in prayer that if you need to make that "decision" you will be able to for both your sakes.  I am sending virtual hugs to you!

Respected Contributor

Re: Sambo needs Prayers

[ Edited ]

This is so sad; my heart goes out to you. God bless you both