Honored Contributor

HOW TO TAKE TAKE MOLLY OUT TO LUNCH

[ Edited ]

OK, I've trained a lot of beagles, but this one's a toughie!!! Since we can only do patio dining, we've tried taking Molly with us on the weekend to dog friendly outdoor pizza places or sandwich type places with outdoor seating.

She pulls, barks at every passing dog, waiter, etc. She's  too disruptive and we end up needing to leave. Yes, she has her toys, water and snacks under the table. It's just a "no go" after many tries.

Any ideas or just forget it? Maybe Molly is just not meant to be a "lady who lunches".

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW TO TAKE TAKE MOLLY OUT TO LUNCH

@Shanus -

I had a friend that had a beagle that sounds just like Molly!

I wonder if these are characteristic of the breed?

Sweet, loving, very loyal, also stubborn, and when she made up her mind, to not do something, she usually won. Also very perceptive with people, and who she liked and trusted and who she didn't. Could also be jealous of us giving attention to other dogs. She would let us know by turning her back on us. Love her!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  We have taken Happy with us to outside dining, but we have gone after the rush so we were alone when dining.  She is a puggle and has the beagle bark, but since she thinks that she is the queen, she feels no need to bark.  She expects adoration.  She only barks when we slow the car down or stop.

Give dining after the rush a try and let us know.  I hope that it works.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Shanus  We have taken Happy with us to outside dining, but we have gone after the rush so we were alone when dining.  She is a puggle and has the beagle bark, but since she thinks that she is the queen, she feels no need to bark.  She expects adoration.  She only barks when we slow the car down or stop.

Give dining after the rush a try and let us know.  I hope that it works.

@SXMGirl   Been there, done that. We've gone at 11and tried it at 2. No luck. We even took her after an hour long brisk walk think it'd knock her out and she'd fall sleep under the table. No such luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

Leave her at home and enjoy your meal.

My neighborhood has many different breeds and the barkers - for no apparent reason when they are out for a walk - Beagles always.  It's just their trait - Jack Russell dogs can also be annoying.

I used to bring my Spaniel in when I'd see them approaching.

Respected Contributor

She's a dog,  leave her at home.   Let the other diners enjoy their meal in peace. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

OK, I've trained a lot of beagles, but this one's a toughie!!! Since we can only do patio dining, we've tried taking Molly with us on the weekend to dog friendly outdoor pizza places or sandwich type places with outdoor seating.

She pulls, barks at every passing dog, waiter, etc. She's  too disruptive and we end up needing to leave. Yes, she has her toys, water and snacks under the table. It's just a "no go" after many tries.

Any ideas or just forget it? Maybe Molly is just not meant to be a "lady who lunches".

@Shanus Isn't poor Molly telling you she is a dog and doesn't want to go out for pizza?  Don't disrespect her!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I heard Beagles can be difficult to train because they are high energy, can be stubborn, and easily distracted.

I can only suggest persistence and standard training methods that it appears you already tried.  

I would take her when there are fewer distractions, before and after the lunch crowd, same with dinner, correct her misbehavior, then reward.  Stick with it, as you know, it might take time and lots of patience. 

Maybe, she is sensitive and uncomfortable with all the activity.  It may be best she stays home.

Good luck.  

Respected Contributor

We have basset hounds and they are not meant for dining out or at home!  Out, they want everyone's attention and at home they want the food.  I agree, leave the pup home and enjoy the occasional meal out.

Honored Contributor

This is precisely WHY doggie bags were invented.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥