Esteemed Contributor

I just got home, and a little momma cat came to me meowing as soon as I got out of my car. I was talking to her and she started rubbing all over my legs, I picked her up, and when she wanted down, I noticed she wasn't scatching. It looks like she has very short claws, but cannot scratch.

I put food out for her, but she left when I was bringing in groceries.

When cats are declawed (I have never had a cat declawed or had a declawed cat) are there still short claws on the feet?

Super Contributor

No, they cut their toes off at the first nuckle when declawed. ...So Barbaric!!!!

Frequent Contributor

Re: declawed cat question

[ Edited ]

First of all, the poor cat should not be outside if declawed. Absolutely no way to defend itself. 

Second, declawing is amputation, no sugar coating that, and is extremely painful for cats to endure for life. 

Third, if you are so worried about a cat damaging your furniture by scratching, don't get one. 

Fourth, I have always cut my cats claws, with special scissors made just for that, I do it every 3 weeks and have never had any issues. They sit and let me do it, no pain at all, just have to watch out for the vein, that is clearly visible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, it sounds like her owner just keeps her claws clipped, as s(he) should.  When they're clipped, it removes the "hook" from the claw that catches on things.

There is absolutely no excuse for declawing a cat.  Barbaric is the word for it, all right, and it should be banned, as it is in most European countries.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes outside cats will wear their claws down very far, down to the quick.  What's left of the claws are blunt and don't feel at all like a sharp, long, grown out cat claw.

had 2 adopted cats that were declawed and no they had no claws at all.  however, while it may have been painful when done, they never showed any sign of pain and i held and massaged their paws pretty much daily because they both liked to hold hands. they also lived to 17 years of age and never showed any sign of pain.  i do not recommend the procedure, but think perhaps there are different levels of procedure and perhaps procedure is performed with different levels of expertise?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Year ago, DH picked up a stray kitten off the road, a really nice all black cat. She had the misfortune of clawing my curtains to chase flies. It was either "declaw" or SPCA. We chose the former. She lived a full life to age 21.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

No, it sounds like her owner just keeps her claws clipped, as s(he) should.  When they're clipped, it removes the "hook" from the claw that catches on things.

There is absolutely no excuse for declawing a cat.  Barbaric is the word for it, all right, and it should be banned, as it is in most European countries.

I've had cats for years, and I didn't know clipping a cats claws was even a thing.

My dh found a kitten last Thanksgiving and I swear after we got him well, he would try to climb me like a tree. Thank God he has grown out of that. If he hadn't I'd be calling the vet on Monday to see about clipping those claws.

Honored Contributor

The cats' rescue shelter I support will not allow any cat to be rehomed to anyone who would have the cat(s) declawed.

If you don't want a cat to "claw" anything and you're not willing to keep the claws clipped to avoid damage, don't have a cat.  Get a different animal, if you want company.

Cats are not able to show you they are in pain, but declawing causes nerve damage, no matter how "well" it is done, and alters movement, the same way it would affect a person who had the first sections of his fingers amputated.  The animal learns to live with it - what other choice does it have?

Barbaric mutilation to serve a human's needs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat  - It's easy to clip a cat's claws, but the sooner it's started, the better. Videos are available online and every vet would be able to show you how simple it is.  Mine would do it free with every visit, too.

(My cats just sit in my lap and let me do it.)