Esteemed Contributor

My Beanie cat died suddenly this afternoon

I'm so sad and so stunned - DH and I truly do not know what happened to our 10 year old Beanie cat. He seemed just fine this morning and spent a little time on our patio. He came in, ate a little and then went upstairs for his normal nap.

Midafternoon I heard DH telling me that something was wrong Beanie....he was laying on the floor with a pitiful yeowl. His heart rate seemed to increase so quickly and his limbs seemed to be stiff - not moving. I left for a minute to call the emergency animal hospital so we could take him in. When I went back to check on him, he had lost control of his bladder and also defecated on himself. He stopped yeowling, heart was beating so fast, he opened his mouth and his tongue was hanging out.

I ran to the garage to get the carrier, but to be honest, I was so afraid to pick him up - he was in terrible distress. I won't go on, but within 45 minutes he was gone. DH and I both feel horrible that we didn't get Beanie to the emergency clinic, although I don't believe it would have made a difference. He just went so fast.

I don't know if he got into something this morning when I let him out on the patio - (did he wander somewhere that I didn't notice and maybe get into something poisonous), or did he have a heart attack? I sat with him and stroked him and talked to him, but I was so stunned at how quickly this all unfolded.

His body is now wrapped in a towel and in the carrier. We'll take him to our vet tomorrow for cremation. Have any of you experienced a death of your fur baby so quickly? DH and I are both in shock, so sad, and trying to understand what happened to Beanie. Maybe we'll never know.

Valued Contributor

Re: My Beanie cat died suddenly this afternoon

So very sorry for your loss. I have five cats, all older, and I wish I could help but I don't know. Sometimes it's just their time and sometime just like with humans, it isn't always peaceful. Take comfort in the Lord and knowing that you loved and care for him. You will be rejoined with him again one day. Again, so sorry, I can only imagine the pain. I dread the day....

Respected Contributor

Sorry for your loss. You might give the vet the symptoms and see if he would hazard a guess. It does sound like poisoning.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1 

I am so sorry for your loss.  What an awful shock, no time to prepare yourself.

One of our Labs died during the night right by our bed.  We woke up in the morning and he was gone, he was not quite 6.

Please take the time you need to grieve, and I hope soon the good memories will ease the sadness.

Good Wishes to all of you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

I am very sorry for your sudden loss of your Beanie. It has to be very distressing. I hope you get some comfort that you were with him at the end and that was most likely very helpful in easing his stress.

Do describe in equal detail this entire incident to the vet tomorrow. He might be able to give you some insight and comfort as to what circumstance proved to be the end of Beanie.

Give yourself time to adjust to your loss and the sudden change in your household.  I hope you can feel better soon. I know Beanie is safe and frisky on that far side of the bridge. Stay consoled by the many others who will respond to you here. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1   I am so sorry for your loss.  Please don't blame yourself in any way.  This was a situation that you could not control.  Yes, I have experienced the sudden unexpected transition of my little girl.  It is heart wrenching.  (I also had her cremated.) Treat yourself with kindness.  This will be a challenging time for you and your family.  Our precious pets are such an integral part of the family.  My heart goes out to you.

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1   I am so sorry for your loss.  When your fur baby dies so fast and you can't do anything about it, it feels awful.

Yes, it happened to me too. My beautiful Cavalier was sitting in the LR with me and DH.  When it was bed time, I got up and asked her if she wanted to go to bed.  She was just sitting there in front of me.  When she stood up, her legs wobbled and she fell over...dead.  She died in an instant.

She was on heart meds, but I had no idea her heart was this far gone. I'm sure her heart valve just gave away.

I have no idea what happened to your baby, but I am so sorry. A loss like this is unimaginable and it hurts so much.  

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry for your loss. It is devastating to lose a loved one. There are no answers, except that Beanie is no longer in pain and now in the presence of God enjoying his heavenly home. When Beanie is acclimated he will be with you in spirit waiting to be joined again with his loving family. One day Beanie will give you a sign that he's around you, watching, protecting. and loving his Mommy and Daddy. Sending love, hugs and heartfelt condolences to you and your husband.
Valued Contributor

I am sorry to hear about your dear Beanie; losing a pet is heartbreaking. Please don't blame yourself, you loved Beanie and gave your loving cat a long, healthy, happy life. 

I lost a cat suddenly, so do understand the pain.  My vet informed me that cats will hide symptoms and sometimes, there's no symptoms of knowing anything was wrong until it's too late. I know there's no words that can make this pain bearable, but sometimes these things happen and it's no ones fault (I understand easier said than done).

Trusted Contributor

I too am sorry about your precious Beanie. I think the best thing you did was sit with him, pet him & talk to him.
My precious Smokey cat woke up one morning very disoriented & she couldn't walk. She was 17 & I knew it was her time. So I held her the whole day & by evening, she passed away. I'm guessing she had a stroke. And I'm wondering if Beanie had a stroke also.
Rest easy Beanie.❤