Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten     19 is pretty old.  I had a male siamese cat from a small little  kitten I held in my hand  and He lived to be 19. He did die of kidney failure  towards his last days...... it is pretty common in old cats. If they are fortunate enough to have a wonderful pet parent LIKE YOU.... 

my old cat also became very skinny.... I let him die naturally.. towards the last couple of days, he just slept and then when I was petting him in his bed, he passed in my hands just as he came into my life... it was rather full circle.  He use to love sitting by a pond we had in the back yard... he was a good ol kittty.. tough as nails. His name was BOY Kat.... we also had a female siamese we called Girl Kat.... 

Sorry you are going through this process... but, just know that it is full circle and that you are a wonderful person to have been his caretaker all these years....  

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Thank you for your very kind words; reading your story made me choke up a little bit, but in a good way. We have the remains of two cats buried in a special place in our back yard, and when Missy's time comes, she'll join them.

I don't know why but I'd rather have her remains buried at home instead of her ashes spread in a forest (a local custom). I guess I feel like she's still with us, in a way, and we're still looking after her, as we feel about our other 2 cats.

Respected Contributor

@judy0330 wrote:

Please let us know what your vet says.  It's possible that your cat is hyperthyroid.  Both eating and still losing weight and howling are the symptoms our cat had.  She is now on medicaiton and doing well.  Good luck!!

Thank you for your story; it gives me hope.

Respected Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

Some people on these boards are so kind and helpful.  I, for one, appreciate it!  ❤

me too!

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  I am sending good thoughts your way and hope that the vet has some good news for you.  Nineteen is old, but you have taken very good care of her and I hope that she has a few more years left in her.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

Wishing you well today with your vet visit.   It can be difficult when they get to that age,

just remember to do what's best for the animal and not yourself.  Don't want to sound

unsympathetic but too many times we want to keep them here for "our" well being......

Godspeed.

You're not unsympathtic at all; what you said reminds us that we have to put our pets' good ahead of our own feelings. Where that line is, is what's so hard to figure out at times. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm nervous and anxious

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Thank you for your very kind words; reading your story made me choke up a little bit, but in a good way. We have the remains of two cats buried in a special place in our back yard, and when Missy's time comes, she'll join them.

I don't know why but I'd rather have her remains buried at home instead of her ashes spread in a forest (a local custom). I guess I feel like she's still with us, in a way, and we're still looking after her, as we feel about our other 2 cats.

@GoneButNotForgotten   yes, all of our pets were and are buried in our yard too. One dog we had to have cremated as he died in the middle of winter and the ground was frozen so we could not dig a nice spot.  You might consider having a vet or someone come out to the house to put your sweet kitty to sleep when you feel it is time. It is so much better than taking them to the vet... much more private.  I used Lap of Love when I had my Golden Retriever put down a year ago.   You might google them and see if they service your area.

Respected Contributor

Will keep you and your kitty in my thoughts. 

Valued Contributor

Hyperthyroid.

Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  My prayers are with you and your cat. We are going through this right now with our 17 year old chihuahua who is experiencing kidney failure. I am waiting to hear from my daughter with the results from the vet. I know deep inside what  they will be. The love we have for our 4 legged babies is tremendous. I will keep you and your kitty in my thoughts and prayers. Heart