Esteemed Contributor

Re: Homeless people that have dogs

[ Edited ]

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Dear Crazy,

Wow!  That is a real stretch.

Cathy

Why is that a stretch, 1.5 million homeless dogs and cats are put to sleep each year.  Where do you think these pets are going to go?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@elated   Dogs are very adaptable... many many dogs do not live in a "HOME".

Homeless people LOVE THEIR DOGS  and care for them the best they can.  Homeless people deserve a pet too. Do not put prejudices on the homeless. Their dogs LOVE THEIR OWNERS home or not.  I really doubt that a homeless person would let their dog go with out food or water.... and probably shares what little they have with that dog. and the dog gets food and water FIRST. 

I am more concerned with those dogs people  IN HOUSES  have that tie them up days and days at a time with no love or interaction.... or leave them in hot cars to die..... or use them for fighting  or racing or all the things PEOPLE IN HOUSES  do to dogs today that are cruel. 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

All a dog cares about is the love.  I have felt bad for many dogs who are stuck with people who can provide financially but do not spend time with them.  To them a dog is just another status symbol possession! They may have fancy food, toys, expensive bedding, etc but what the dog really wants is time spent interacting.  Those are the ones that upset me and I'd like to rescue.

@Pook  Thank-YOU!!!

Respected Contributor

I LOVE dogs.Simple to solve the "should I give" problem. I keep a few canx of dog food (with easy open cans in case they aren't packin' a can opener) in my car and when I see a pup in need for it I give. The homeless always are SO appreciative and I tell them to take care of their best friend. There but for fortune.........

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

These people can't even feed themselves, how can they feed an animal.  The animals are used as bait to get money, that's about  it.  People feel for the dogs, so they give money and it goes to booze or drugs. 

@hoosieroriginal  THESE PEOPLE??    HUH??????????? 

"These People"  are just" US"  a few pay checks away... or after an illness that wipes out our bank account.... "These People" are US!!!!.  It is the people in HOUSES that use dogs for bait and to make money..... and buy drugs and sell drugs.... I can not believe how small your mind is to think  or say such a blatent lie about the homeless......  I am SPEECHLESS!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

These people can't even feed themselves, how can they feed an animal.  The animals are used as bait to get money, that's about  it.  People feel for the dogs, so they give money and it goes to booze or drugs. 

@hoosieroriginal  THESE PEOPLE??    HUH??????????? 

"These People"  are just" US"  a few pay checks away... or after an illness that wipes out our bank account.... "These People" are US!!!!.  It is the people in HOUSES that use dogs for bait and to make money..... and buy drugs and sell drugs.... I can not believe how small your mind is to think  or say such a blatent lie about the homeless......  I am SPEECHLESS!!!!!

@SeaMaiden - "These people" I am talking about can go out and get a job just like the rest of us - if they can stand on a corner all day holding up a sign, they can work a job.  There are people out there that truly our help, I guarantee you, but they wouldn't drag an animal around with them to get sympathy.  But 3/4 of "these people" are just as healthy as you and me and choose not to work.  If you offer them a job, they come up with an excuse.  Then they drag a poor dog or cat into the mix to get our sympathy.  And yes, they use the money for their drugs or booze.  Open your eyes. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

People are homeless for a number of reasons, many times beyond their control.  To assume that they do not love or care for the pets as best they can is just wrong.  The alternative is to put all those pets down, is that what you are promoting?  

@CrazyDaisy; @SeaMaiden - Say tomorrow you lose everything and you have a dog.  Wouldn't you find that dog a home or take it to the shelter to find it a good home knowing you can't feed it?  Or would you drag that dog around with you knowing you can't even feed yourself?  I saw a young homeless man every day in downtown San Diego.  One day he was begging me for money.  I offered to take his dog and pay him for it.  His response was "no because more people give me money because of the dog".  He didn't get a penny from me.  I wanted to steal that dog from him, seriously - it was sad. 

Esteemed Contributor

All I know is my oldest dog started having seizures several years ago. She has to have medicine twice daily. She is elderly....I have never owned an elderly dog that didn't like to lay around the majority of the day in a comfy spot.

To say that all a dog needs is "love", well...I don't even know. Love isn't going to fill up an empty belly.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

People are homeless for a number of reasons, many times beyond their control.  To assume that they do not love or care for the pets as best they can is just wrong.  The alternative is to put all those pets down, is that what you are promoting?  

@CrazyDaisy; @SeaMaiden - Say tomorrow you lose everything and you have a dog.  Wouldn't you find that dog a home or take it to the shelter to find it a good home knowing you can't feed it?  Or would you drag that dog around with you knowing you can't even feed yourself?  I saw a young homeless man every day in downtown San Diego.  One day he was begging me for money.  I offered to take his dog and pay him for it.  His response was "no because more people give me money because of the dog".  He didn't get a penny from me.  I wanted to steal that dog from him, seriously - it was sad. 

If you could find your dog a good home, would think you could find yourself someplace to stay.  Taking a dog to a shelter is often a desth sentance.  So to answer your question, yes i would keep my dog with me and do tne best i could.  He would never give up on me, whty would i give up on him.  

As far as the man not giving a stranger his dog, would you give your dog to a syranger?  And he is probably right, more people may give him more money because he has a dog.  He may get enough to feed both of them, he never said he did not care about the dog. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

All I know is my oldest dog started having seizures several years ago. She has to have medicine twice daily. She is elderly....I have never owned an elderly dog that didn't like to lay around the majority of the day in a comfy spot.

To say that all a dog needs is "love", well...I don't even know. Love isn't going to fill up an empty belly.

Or keep hiim warm in the cold, keep his feet from burning on the hot asphalt, pay for his treatment when he is sick , keep him cool during extreme heat, keep him from being dehydrated, etc