Honored Contributor

Re: Homeless people that have dogs

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

These people can't even feed themselves, how can they feed an animal.  The animals are used as bait to get money, that's about  it.  People feel for the dogs, so they give money and it goes to booze or drugs. 

@hoosieroriginal  THESE PEOPLE??    HUH??????????? 

"These People"  are just" US"  a few pay checks away... or after an illness that wipes out our bank account.... "These People" are US!!!!.  It is the people in HOUSES that use dogs for bait and to make money..... and buy drugs and sell drugs.... I can not believe how small your mind is to think  or say such a blatent lie about the homeless......  I am SPEECHLESS!!!!!

@SeaMaiden - "These people" I am talking about can go out and get a job just like the rest of us - if they can stand on a corner all day holding up a sign, they can work a job.  There are people out there that truly our help, I guarantee you, but they wouldn't drag an animal around with them to get sympathy.  But 3/4 of "these people" are just as healthy as you and me and choose not to work.  If you offer them a job, they come up with an excuse.  Then they drag a poor dog or cat into the mix to get our sympathy.  And yes, they use the money for their drugs or booze.  Open your eyes. 

@hoosieroriginal You are a lost case.....case closed on my end. No need to reply..... Goodby.

Esteemed Contributor

@elated

Next time  you see this ,you can go buy some dog food and water and give it to the person you see with the dog.I think  they would appreciate it very much. Maybe,you can even buy a cheap bowl too.       Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@happycat wrote:

All I know is my oldest dog started having seizures several years ago. She has to have medicine twice daily. She is elderly....I have never owned an elderly dog that didn't like to lay around the majority of the day in a comfy spot.

To say that all a dog needs is "love", well...I don't even know. Love isn't going to fill up an empty belly.

Or keep hiim warm in the cold, keep his feet from burning on the hot asphalt, pay for his treatment when he is sick , keep him from being dehydrated, etc

Yes, exactly. And if we can't afford to take care of ourselves, how can we take care of an animal.

Everyone who thinks all a dog needs is love, why don't you just try fasting today. Instead of eating, concentrate on how much you love your pooch. And if it works, let me know..I'm always happy to lose a few lbs.

And its wrong to exploit the dog to get money too. If they are doing that, how much do you think they really care for the dog??? Its a money ticket.

Its about like the panhandlers who have two or three kids out there with on the street. And I don't like that either. 

Respected Contributor

If a person cannot provide food, clothing, shelter, and medical care for themselves....they have no business having a pet.  The loving thing would be to give the animal to someone they know or a shelter where it had a chance to be provided a safe home and the necessities.

Sometimes the most loving thing is to let something go.....thus sometimes babies are put up for adoption.

My opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@happycat wrote:

All I know is my oldest dog started having seizures several years ago. She has to have medicine twice daily. She is elderly....I have never owned an elderly dog that didn't like to lay around the majority of the day in a comfy spot.

To say that all a dog needs is "love", well...I don't even know. Love isn't going to fill up an empty belly.

Or keep hiim warm in the cold, keep his feet from burning on the hot asphalt, pay for his treatment when he is sick , keep him from being dehydrated, etc

Yes, exactly. And if we can't afford to take care of ourselves, how can we take care of an animal.

Everyone who thinks all a dog needs is love, why don't you just try fasting today. Instead of eating, concentrate on how much you love your pooch. And if it works, let me know..I'm always happy to lose a few lbs.

And its wrong to exploit the dog to get money too. If they are doing that, how much do you think they really care for the dog??? Its a money ticket.

Its about like the panhandlers who have two or three kids out there with on the street. And I don't like that either. 

So dogs and children who find themselves homeless should be taken away and forgotten.  Guess itbis easy to judge others when you are not living their life.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Did I say they should be taken away and forgotten? I think they deserve better.

And I can tell you, @CrazyDaisy, I would NEVER be living their life with a dog. Thank you. I certainly could lose everything tomorrow. And if I did, I would take my dogs to an animal shelter. There are also shelters for families not too far from here, and if I had small kids that is where we would go. I wouldn't have them begging on the street.

Respected Contributor

What a sad thread this is.

We would all do well to look up the story of John Bradford.

Honored Contributor

I noticed when I was in San Fransisco that there were people who appeared to be homeless with large guard dogs.

The owners would sift through the trash cans and the dogs would guard them.  I once walked by someone looking for aluminum cans in the trash and the dog stared and growled at me.

I learned real quick to stay away from people while they were " working" the trash.  The dogs looked to be in good condition, better than their owners, in fact.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

People are homeless for a number of reasons, many times beyond their control.  To assume that they do not love or care for the pets as best they can is just wrong.  The alternative is to put all those pets down, is that what you are promoting?  

@CrazyDaisy; @SeaMaiden - Say tomorrow you lose everything and you have a dog.  Wouldn't you find that dog a home or take it to the shelter to find it a good home knowing you can't feed it?  Or would you drag that dog around with you knowing you can't even feed yourself?  I saw a young homeless man every day in downtown San Diego.  One day he was begging me for money.  I offered to take his dog and pay him for it.  His response was "no because more people give me money because of the dog".  He didn't get a penny from me.  I wanted to steal that dog from him, seriously - it was sad. 

You saw "A" young homeless man.....  one  ..... and you wanted to STEAL his dog... wow, just wow...

Respected Contributor

Well said Alicedee & Happycat!

The bizarre "stretch" was that any of us thought of, or mentioned any animal being put down!  Another thread mentioned reading comprehension.......  Maybe look up the word "abuse."