Honored Contributor

Re: Help with a diabetic cat

@Fona wrote:

Photodreamr:  My heart goes out to you and the struggle you are having.  I have been going through a struggle with my elderly girl, too (although she is not diabetic, she has a lot of health problems).   I have done a ton of research so I do have some suggestions (for what they are worth to you).  I realize you may be aware of what I am about to say, but here goes anyway. 

First, here is something to think about.  Many older cats that become diabetic also develop hyperthyroidism and the symptoms are losing weight, constantly crying for food, plus a lot more.  HP is serious and always needs to be addressed asap.  I have read that diabetic cats with hyperthyroidism require higher doses of insulin in order to maintain blood glucose levels.  As the HP is brought under control, the metabolism slows and the insulin has to be adjusted. 

My girl does not have diabetes but she does have a host of other illnesses and has also developed HP in the last few weeks, which we seem to be getting under control.  How?  Well, she is on a hyperthyroid pill twice a day, and is now eating raw, freeze dried food only - which I totally believe in because of the good results I am seeing.  (Just a note here.  Some vets don't believe in raw food, but please do some research on it, look up customer reviews, etc., then make your own decision.  I just went ahead with it because we had nothing to lose and it is working.) 

The raw, freeze dried food comes in a bag and you add some to warm water, let it stand for about a minute, then mix it up and let the cat eat it.  (Take a couple of days to gradually introduce it to your cat).  My cat loved it on sight and licks her bowl clean - and she is slowly looking better, plays with her toys, is acting like her old self and hopefully will be putting on some weight (it is too early to see weight gain as yet).  Because of her stomach problems (IBD) she was on raw freeze dried food just before I discovered she also had HP, but I really believe in it anyway.  In my opinion, the best brand is called Primal, which I think is slightly milder on her stomach and, to be honest, for me it was a last resort.  Please believe a previous post to this one by jaxsmom - your cat definitely does not need those horrible ingredients in his food.

Photodreamr:  The above is only my opinion and some suggestions you may not have considered, but I sincerely hope you (and your new vet) will at least consider what I have said and I sincerely hope this post will help.  It will not happen overnight but in a few weeks I am sure you will see a big difference.  Like you, just a few weeks ago I also went through a time of wondering just how long my girl would last - and today she is sitting right here on my desk, bright eyed and asking me to play with her.

I really do wish you and your kitty the very best of luck with this problem.  Please keep us informed of how you are both doing.

I've fed the freeze dried raw food also. As you said, with cats especially you have to reconsitute it with water. My chihuahua ate both Primal and Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw before we transitioned her to fresh prey model raw. I can't afford to feed it to my cats as I have 5 of them, but they eat a mix of fresh prey model raw and grain free low carb canned food ( the Fancy Feast classic cans I posted about).  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

yes I am beginning to see the big business side of this whole thing.  Come in more often, more tests, different insulin and more costs.

Frequent Contributor

ThanJaxs mom thank you for your help.  you know I question my doctor all the time why didn't I question the vet??  We went to catinfo.com and and then bought some other cat food.  thank you so much for your help!  It really helps pur budget and make me feel like a better kitty mom.

Frequent Contributor

Fona thank you for sharing.  I am so new to this I didn't even think about underlaying issues.  I feel so stupid.  I am glad of the help you offered and appreciate it.

To All I understand the vet has to make determineations, but I feel empowered for all the info you have shared.  All I can humbly say is thank you for taking you time to help a stranger in need.

Esteemed Contributor

photodreamr, hugs to you and pets to your baby. You've gotten some good advice here.

Find another Vet-ask your local human society, cat rescue, etc for a name.

That food is too many carbs. Get the Fancy Feast someone recommended. My sister's cat is diabetic and he likes chicken or beef baby food. No carbs and he scarfs it down.

Blessings to you and your babypink-kitty-purring-hug-smiley-emoticon.gif

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I'm glad you found it helpful and I hope your cat is helped by the diet change. 

I was once in the same postition but in my case it was a UTI in my cat and the vet wanted him on rx food for life. I was already feeding them grain free food but I was still free feeding dry with canned food 2x a day. I found catinfo and switched them to all low carb grain free wet food and raw. Some of cats won't eat raw full time while others mostly eat raw with some canned. So I feed both. It's been about three years now and no further health problems. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

cat lover you remind me when we got Raggies he would only let us per his tail.  He did not trust humans at all.  He was in 8 homes in 2 weeks and his last day before we got him was spet in a cellar while 4 dogs howled to get to him.

At fisrt he was a little nippy..well wouldn't you be?  After a couple of weeks he would not get enough cuddling.  He always follows me like a little puppy.

I think that is why I don't want to give up too soon.

Thank you again.  you don't know how much I appreciate you advice and help.  It has made a big difference in my life.

Frequent Contributor

Again thank you to all.  My husband has Asperger syndrome so emotionally I am in this by myself.  He is a good man but emotions are not understandable to him.

I felt I was in thsis alone and the kitty has helped me through some rough times dealing with my husband since he was diagnosed last year at 55 years old.

My kitty Raggies is an old soul and I don't want to let him down.

All of you..thank you so much for helping a stranger who did not want to even think there wasn't a way to save my best kitty in the world.

You each have a part in giving me hope and understanding.

Again a heartful thank you.

Valued Contributor

Our dog, Zoey, was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago. I get her insulin at WalMart $25 per vial which lasts about 2 months. I give her 9 units twice a day. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a drastic improvement in your cat's health almost immediately after being started on insulin. I think I would get a second opinion. JMHO

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

photodreamer

I can understand a strict diet but it seems like it should be one that monitors the carbs more than the food. I would go with some of the foods others have suggested that have low to no carbs.

I have grain free treats for my cat. He only gets 2-3 at a time but it is a crunchy for him.

I am a little disappointed that your vet doesn't spell things out a little better. Your vet may be right so I am not telling you to change. That is a decision that only you can make fromt he interactions you have. Follow your gut.

I am glad so many others have posted information for you. What is your cat's name? I would not give up on him yet. Miracles have happened.

doxie