Super Contributor

Re: Help With an Elderly Dog

[ Edited ]

I tried to read back through this thread to see if I missed somehow how Buddy is doing.I am sorry if I missed a post telling us.If so,someone please let me know which page t it is under.

Sammycat,Your last post was just beautiful and I could tell it was from your heart..I hope Rina gets some comfort from so many that posted and do care.

Honored Contributor

Karnerblue,

I am checking in on you and Buddy. Please update when you can. 

Honored Contributor

Karnerblue,  I've been thinking of you and Buddy throughout the day.  Please give us an update when you're able to do so.  (((Hugs)))  Meanwhile, keeping you in my prayers.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

Karnerblue, checking in to see how you and Buddy are doing -- and letting you know that we're saying prayers for you every day.

Esteemed Contributor

Karnerblue,

I have thought about you and Buddy everyday and pray that things are okay.  From some of your posts, it sounds as if a peace has come over you and you are embracing and enjoying this time with Buddy.  These days can be just as beautiful, memorywise, as the first days when our pets were  new into our heart and home.

We are all here for you.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

***** She's gone. *****

My beloved little doggie was put to sleep.  

When I was talking to the vet on the phone this morning, I just lost it.  She was going on and on and on ...

My head was spinning.  She was talking so much, I had to interrupt her ...

I said, "so, basically my dog will not get better"?

Answer: "Well, she won't get better but we can try to manage her symptoms.  I think the medication she was taking attacked her kidneys."

I LOST IT.  I started crying and screaming on the phone.  To THINK that my dog had already been to 4 other veterinarians who all prescribed Enalapril.  NOW THIS?????  After nine months of H*LL, I couldn't take it anymore -- watching my dog who was once so happy, lying on her bed everyday like a dead vegetable.  The cost of my dog's stay in the hospital from Friday evening to Sunday morning was $1500.  I'd already spent $7,000 since November.  How much would "managing" her symptoms cost?

It's over.  

G*d only knows how long my grief will last knowing I gave my dog a drug for 9 months that contributed to her death???  I hadn't smoked in thirty years -- now I'm smoking like a chimney.

I just couldn't take it anymore ... the BAD veterinary care, the drugs disrupting my dog's renal sytem.  Last year a neighbor picked up my dog and threw her across his yard and crippled her -- it was all just too much for me to take.  Honestly, I felt like I was losing my mind this morning.

RinaRina,

I just read about the loss of your beloved pet.  I am so sorry this happened the way it did for you.  I pray that you can eventually lose this anger and a peace can come over you that will allow you to grieve in a way that will honor your dog.  As others have said here, this is the hardest part of pet ownership.  When we take them into our heart, it is forever..........even when they are gone physically.

Please take care of yourself and know that people on this board care about you.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

Karnerblue,I had you and Buddy on my mind this morning..Hope you feel like posting soon and let us know how you and he are.

Honored Contributor

Karnerblue...

Sending more special prayers and Comfort Hugs to you and your beloved Buddy. (((((((((((KARNERBLUE & BUDDY))))))))))

--------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Respected Contributor

karnerblue, hope you dog is doing better, please update for us.

RinaRina, so very sorry in the loss of your dog. You did exactly what you were told and you did take her to the vet and did everything you were asked to do for your dog. You have nothing to be sorry for other than losing your dog. My heart goes out to you.

We have 3 dogs now, had 6. Our oldest is now almost 17 and on so many meds as well. She has an enlarged heart, liver and kidney plus her heart is pushed up into her rib cage. She isn't in pain, is on meds for that as well. We also take her every 3 to 4 weeks to just be checked and so far she eats like a champ and wags all the time, doesn't cry but her hind end is giving out so I carry her in and out. In the house on the carpet she is fine but on a smooth, slippery or uneven surface she has problems.

Our vet said he didn't expect her to get to 10 let alone 17 since she was 8 when we got her and not in the best shape or health from previous own so, we are very lucky to still have her.

Our vet said she is hanging in here because she is finally happy and feels loved and wanted.

You take care and know you did the very best for your beloved dog that you could have done. I know over the years I have second guessed myself so often which isn't good but guess we all do that.

You have my deepest sympathy 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Oh Rina, I can't tell you how sorry I am for your loss.  We always think as the last few months, weeks and days are upon us that we know the inevitable outcome and we are prepared.  But when it actually happens, we are not at all ready for the overwhelming grief and despair that decends on us.

I can't reiterate Birmama's posting to you more than she already did.  It wasn't your fault.  It probably wasn't even the veterinarians faults, either.  We take our loved ones to them looking for a miracle, to keep our babies with us happy and healthy as long as possible.  They can only do so much.  They don't hurt intentionally.   

I think we've all been in those situations where we blame ourselves for something out of our control, something that we think if we had done something differently the outcome would be what we wanted.  I'm still blaming myself for things I think I did that affected my little dog adversely.  (I lost her a few months ago.)  But with time, you will be able to see that realistically, you did all you could at the time with the information and ability you had.  What more could you have done?  To be blunt, there was no guarantee that your little girl would have done any better had you done anything differently.  It was her time to go.

Of course you are heartbroken.  It hurts me to even read about your anguish--I'm crying as I write this.  But it's done and she is now at peace.  Of course you are going to miss her and grieve for her and also, for a while, be angry--it's a natural reaction.  Time may never heal your wound completely, but it will soften the blow.  And one day, I do believe, you will be reunited with her and you both will be healthy and happy forever.

My sincere sympathies.

=====================================

Geezerette,

THANK YOU for such a thoughtful post.  I haven't been on this thread in a while because the pain was just unbearable.  The only thing that made me stop crying was when I went thru all my VET BILLS since November.  When I looked at the depletion in my checking account and sorted the charges alphabetically by veterinarians, I thought to myself , "I must've been temporarily insane to spend this much money like this." Between November 2014 and July 2015, I spent HALF my annual income on my dog's care. That realization made me stop crying.   I'll never get another dog.  No more pets.  The end is jut too painful..

Lab Rescue called me about my application to foster, but they didn't follow-up.  At this point, I don't care.  To me it just means no more pain, no more disappointment.

I'm going to re-read your post.  It actually made me feel better. 

Thanks again.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."