Valued Contributor

Fleas!! Can't get rid of them! HELP

I know this subject has been beat to death but I have tried everything I have read or been told about & I just can not get rid of the fleas!  This is the first year ever that I have had this problem!  I took in a stray about 2 months ago & she had fleas & ticks but we bathed her & put Frontline on right away while looking for her home. Now my other 2 have fleas so bad & I just can't seem to get rid of them!  We have sprayed the yard twice! Put down DE..put DE on them...tried comfortis...made the dogs sick...frontline is doing nothing. Tred flea combs, Happy Jack dip. I am just at my wits in!  And desperate!  Please does anyone have more suggestions to try! They are eating my babies up!  In all my life I have never had this problem & I use to have 2 big chows in the house! 

Occasional Contributor

Re: Fleas!! Can't get rid of them! HELP

Try bathing them in the original Blue Dawn Dish detergent.  Lather them up and let is soak on them for about 5 minutes before rinsing.  I've heard that Dawn (the original blue formula) will kill fleas.  HTH

Esteemed Contributor

Talk to your vet.  I have used Revolution for years and have never had a problem.  You may also need to treat the house if you have an infestation.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I used to feed a colony of ferals and my home and my cat got infested with fleas.  My vet told me that you have to break the cycle to get rid of them.  First, I suggest you use Revolution or Advantage Multi on a 21 day cycle - check with your vet to be sure it's OK first as the normal is 30 days, but by that time the fleas are redeveloping.  Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum - if you have carpet - throw out the bag every time.  Also steam your carpets now and in 21 days every time you treat - you will need to do the treatments and cleaning for about 3 months.  Do some research on natural herbs that you can put by your door so you don't bring them in again.  If you keep using harsh chemicals outside - you will kill your dogs and cats.  Just imagine how uncomfortable they are itching.  Put some natural oils on them to soothe and the oils will not allow the fleas to breathe ... good luck!    

Esteemed Contributor

Ask your vet for a monthly pill that kills the flea as soon as it bites your animals.  I use Nexgard, but I have dogs.  The fleas you have will want to bite and that will get rid of them. You may not need it for more than a month or two.  I hate to use pesticides inside my house.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Image result for homemade flea trap

Put a light over a bowl of soapy water and the fleas will jump toward the heat and land in the water.  They can't get out.

I keep one of these (Hobby Lobby has a nightlight bulb on a cord) under my kitchen table.  If any fleas come it, it attracts them. 

If the problem is bad, use one in each room. 

Using these and bathing solved my problem.

Trusted Contributor

We're having the same problems with our cats.  Our vet poo poos the use of Frontline and Advantage and said they're a waste of money.  They offered up two pills, but I don't know the name of one of them.  It's a big brown pill that you give your pet once/month.  What we are currently using is something called Capstar.  Check it out on line for more info.  It's supposed to be safe for pets to get every day and it literally kills the fleas immediately that are on their skin.  If your pet is covered with fleas, though, be ready for them to be doing a dance of scratching, running around and yowling until the fleas die - that's what one of my cats did the first time we gave it to her.  The vet said that was normal if they have a lot of fleas on them.  Now that we've been giving it to her regularly, there's none of that going on.  I have seen no ill effects in either cat and I'm giving them each a pill every 3 days or so.  We just started this a month ago and seems to be working.  The only downside - it's $5 a pill!! 

Of course, the other thing to remember is to get rid of them in your house.

Valued Contributor

@nycgrl wrote:

I used to feed a colony of ferals and my home and my cat got infested with fleas.  My vet told me that you have to break the cycle to get rid of them.  First, I suggest you use Revolution or Advantage Multi on a 21 day cycle - check with your vet to be sure it's OK first as the normal is 30 days, but by that time the fleas are redeveloping.  Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum - if you have carpet - throw out the bag every time.  Also steam your carpets now and in 21 days every time you treat - you will need to do the treatments and cleaning for about 3 months.  Do some research on natural herbs that you can put by your door so you don't bring them in again.  If you keep using harsh chemicals outside - you will kill your dogs and cats.  Just imagine how uncomfortable they are itching.  Put some natural oils on them to soothe and the oils will not allow the fleas to breathe ... good luck!    

I have done the Blue Dawn treatment. Nothing.  We put DE powder in the carpet. Let it sit over night & vacuumed & I don't really think I have them inside although I have no idea why not!  We only have carpet in the den. Rest of floors are hardwood & tile. Wash all their beds daily. I have never heard of Revolution. Have a friend who is using Advantage & she says it helps but still has fleas. Kind of like frontline with mine right now. I have been thinking today about natural oils. Funny you mentioned that. I meant to look up some of them & see which might be best. I tried peppermint oil on one of my dogs & she went nuts. I had to wash it off.  I need to go look up more info on the oils. Thanks

Honored Contributor

We live in the woods and my cat was flea and tick infested big time, the vet recommended Soresto which is an 8 month use flea collar and Revolution which is a monthly application. My cat has literally been flea and tick free since the first application, it's pricey, but worth the money. Get it online, it's usually cheaper than going through the vet.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

You may need to chemically treat what little carpet you do have.

For the cats I use Revolution because they tolerate it well, but I think Advantage is probably just as good.  I'd consult the vet before trying something new too soon after applying a different chem.