Frequent Contributor

Hi I need some new ideas. First I have had 43 cats which I kept 16 over time. They were newborns to one year when I got them. My daughter is at college on her final year. She took her Aunts cat because they couldn't have a cat. So my daughter's roommate turned her into her apartment management. Now I have a 4th cat till August. I can't seem to get her to hang out with the other cats. She is sweet and let's me let her. When I pick her up she softly complains and squirms. Now every night in the room next to me one of the four does that loud cat noise. Like the one when there is a stray on the porch. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them to play nice?

Honored Contributor

@Kat60 She sounds a lot like my female cat (Katie).  I've been their mom for at least 4 or 5 years.  I adopted Katie and Bill (my other cat who's supposed to be her brother) at the same time.  Bill is bright orange, Katie is black and white and long haired.

Anyway, I've NEVER been able to get very close to Katie (no one has).  When I have company, she runs away until AFTER they've left.  She comes when I call her to eat or treats.  She also comes and lays next to me when I'm laying in bed watching TV.  Otherwise nothing.  If I walk up to where she's laying, if she can, she will run away.  She's petrified of everything!

I just accept her the way she is.  She loves Bill and will lay next to him in bed (he 'tollerates' her).

It is unbelievable when I try to catch her to get her to the Vets.  It all has to be planned out the day before (to catch her).

I guess my advice to you is to do what I do, I just accept her the way she is.  It's pretty much like having one cat (Bill).  Most of my family have never even seen her!  When my daughter comes to visit for a few days, (her name is also Katie) she NEVER even sees Katie the cat.

I've also adopted over the years many different cats (most I've had at one time was 4 (they found me).  So, like you, I've never experienced a cat like Katie.  

When I adopted her she came from people who give homes to cats until they are adopted.  The only thing I could think of was she must have been mistreated at one time.....I have no idea.

But like I said, it's been years now and not much has changed.

My friend works for my Vet.  She takes care of them when I travel.  She always tells me Katie the cat is lucky I adopted her because a lot of people wouldn't be happy having her because she's so skitzy (sp).

She also barfs up all over my wall to wall rugs constantly.  I find the furballs everywhere.  I've given her everything you can think of to prevent it but so far nothing works.  My heart goes out to Katie the cat because it must be terrible being so afraid all of the time.

I love her so much; but sometimes it's hard to not take it personal when I can't get near her.  I keep reminding myself, "she just a cat".

Take care and I you have more experience with cats than I do.  Nothing has worked for me, I hope you find something but be prepared, if she's like my Katie the cat, you might have to accept her the way she is.

Honored Contributor

@Kat60  How could you possibly care for 16 cats at once?  How many litter boxes do you need?

As far as your current problem, obviously the one cat is not use to other cats.  Can you see if your Vet would take the cat?  Or possibly have friends and one of your friends would take the cat?  Otherwise you will have to listen to the noise.  Take care and Happy Holidays.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1  I think she meant "16 over time," but this one is the 4th she has currently.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  You know, I think cats are a lot like people.  Some just aren't nice, some aren't real smart, and some are just neurotic or unfriendly.  I'm sorry you've never been able to develop a close relationship with your girl......I know how frustrating and painful that must be.  As you say, maybe something happened in her past that scared her......but it's unusual for that behavior to be so permanent.  Cat Sad

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde  Thanks for clarifying.  There is a woman on the TV now with over 10 cats at home on Dr. Phil.  It's alot of work.  I absolutely love cats but only have one because it is a lot of work.  Wish I could have two more.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I recently purchased the Tidy Cat Breeze litter box and I love it so far.

I have 2 cats now, they took to it right away, no problems whatsoever.

With traditional litter, I felt I was cleaning a box every day.   Which I was!

But I could still smell it.

I don't have to clean this one every day - every other day - and no smell at all.

Respected Contributor

They may never be best friends but it seems they tolerate each other.  Years ago I took in my mother's cat when she moved to assisted living.  I'd already had Callie for 5 years when I took in Amber.  There were never any fights but they never became BFF's.   

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66:  nice to see you againHeart  kisses to Bill and Katie

Frequent Contributor

Thank all of you so much. I guess I did not explain myself very well. I had one day and 2 dogs in 77. Then my parents had a stray in 88 called Hobo. My dad built a house by our football and so Hobo brought a pregnant friend home and she had her kittens in the winter. So dad made a kitty condo for Hobo. To shorten this Hobo split and the hussey Mama Kitty kept bringing more kids. We could not catch her but we loved each litter. So we ended up keeping one or two kittens from each batch and they were spayed and neutered except for two batches that the mother was called spooky. Between my home and my parents we had 13 cats. I couldn't get pregnant so the kittens were my babies. After they all passed away my daughter wanted a cat so we got Abbey. Then I worked at a vets office and adopted my baby boy who is like Katie except he loves me and even listens to me. After my son had a party we couldn't find Tigger so my family and the neighbors went looking. The neighbor yells she found him. My cat was in the house and this was a stray baby. Of course I kept her. She was checked out at work and she had her shots, my boss said they found mud and grass in her belly. So if course I had to keep her. In between all that my fiance bought a Pekinese for me. Lol. I hope that clears it up.