Honored Contributor

Watching Sully salute his Commander-in-Chief

Crying like a baby.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Watching Sully salute his Commander-in-Chief

Blowing a kiss.  Well done,  good and faithful servant.

Honored Contributor

Almost surprised more fur mamas are not replying here. My heart was breaking for Sully.

Honored Contributor

Please.....Sully doesn't know what's going on.  Somebody took him to the coffin, told him to lie down and stay.  He's just being the obedient, well-trained dog that he is.  I hear that he's going back to Walter Reed and will soon assist a new master.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Agreed @Kachina624.  at this point he can't know who's in the coffin assuming the usual mortuary proceedures have been applied.  HOWEVER, it IS testament to Sullys temperment and trainng that he dealt well with the crowds and somber atmosphere.  You could tell though that he appreciated direction.  Good yellow dog.

May he do as well at his next posting.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Please.....Sully doesn't know what's going on.  Somebody took him to the coffin, told him to lie down and stay.  He's just being the obedient, well-trained dog that he is.  I hear that he's going back to Walter Reed and will soon assist a new master.

I disagree, @Kachina624.  Dogs are loyal. loving souls.  They love, they hurt.  Sully was aware of his Master's passing.  He "guarded" his Master's casket in Texas and later honored his Master in the Capitol.

I believe dogs can also see beyond the "curtain":  the see and sense things we cannot.

I feel sorry for poor for Sully, though grieving, he will soon go on to his next assignment.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe he knows what's going on.  But feel free to disagree.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme

We share those thoughts.

Having know many Service Dogs, I know they do recognize and feel.  

If a search and rescue dog has had a bad day when they have not found any living people, his handler will ask someone unknown to the dog to hide in the rubble so that the dog can make a ‘good’ find.  If not, the dogs can become too depressed to continue.

I believe with all my heart.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I disagree, @Kachina624.  Dogs are loyal. loving souls.  They love, they hurt.  Sully was aware of his Master's passing.  He "guarded" his Master's casket in Texas and later honored his Master in the Capitol.

I believe dogs can also see beyond the "curtain":  the see and sense things we cannot.

I feel sorry for poor for Sully, though grieving, he will soon go on to his next assignment.

@eddyandme.  I have to disagree.  Dogs aren't intuitive enough to understand someone has died.  They can understand that people are sad and react to that but they're not smart enough to understand death.  

I've always had multiple dogs.  I've never seen the slightest reaction in the survivors when one of them or a close family member died.  This dog was only with GHWB a scant 6 months which is not time to establish a really strong bond.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

No problem @Kachina624, we'll just be friends with differing opinionsWoman Wink.

I do agree with you, they didn't have that much time to bond, but, I think the close 24/7 relationship they had made up for the lack of time.  I say that based on myself. When I got Eddy, it was just to foster 'cause I felt bad for him and was determined not to bond.  I failed and adopted him couple months later.  Maybe it's just me, but, to me that proves bonding can occur quite quickly.