Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@2blonde  Thanks for clarifying.  There is a woman on the TV now with over 10 cats at home on Dr. Phil.  It's alot of work.  I absolutely love cats but only have one because it is a lot of work.  Wish I could have two more.

@Katcat1  I'm just like you.  I absolutely love cats, but I only have them one at a time.  For the last 3-1/2 years I've had my first "guy" since I was about 20 years old.  He's 15 lbs of fun and fur.  I like the idea of having one special friend in the house because they get so attached to me.  I have to stay away from shelters, though, or I'd be in trouble.  "Al" would be appalled if I brought home another cat!

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

Kat60:  I am sorry you are having a problem with your new kitty but please don't give up on her.  Many years ago I adopted a cat from a local shelter.  I wasn't looking for a cat right then but when I saw that poor trembling boy with his nose pushed up against the back of his cage in fright, I just couldn't leave him there.  They said he had been brought in as a stray and thought he was about five years old.  He was very skinny but he grew into a very beautiful lynx point with big blue eyes.  He liked my other cat but he was terrified of the world.  The sad thing was that he didn't retaliate about anything - he would just whimper and draw himself into a ball.  He had no idea how to play and I taught him by playing with my other cat while he watched, then gently including him.  He also had no idea what any kind of food was unless it was dry, and he learned to eat other foods by watching my other cat. 

Like Annabelle's cat, he just hid if anyone came to visit and no one else ever saw him.  Even my catsitter would just look at him under my bed to check on him while I was away.  Taking him to the vet was a nightmare, particularly because he literally had hysterics if he even saw the carrier. I often thought I would like to "meet" the person(s) who did that to him.  I always imagine that they had him from being a baby and treated him very badly from day one.

Some of my friends wondered why I put up with him - but that thought never crossed my mind because he was so broken and needed a lot of love. 

The good thing was that he really loved me, and would spend long periods sitting beside me or in my lap.  Of course, he always slept beside me, too.  I was lucky enough to have him for over 12 years, which made him about 17 years old when he died.

Kat60:  My advice to you would be to accept your new girl as she is, don't give up on her and just love her anyway.  Would it be possible to give her a nice cozy space for herself so she can get away from the other cats for a while (especially overnight)?  She has a different personality, so if you make a few adjustments she will be happy.  Always use a gentle tone when talking to her, pet her gently and don't try to pick her up (a lot of cats don't like that anyway).  With a few changes she will live a happy live - and remember, she needs you.

My very best wishes to you and your new girl.  Please keep us posted as to how she is doing.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde Thank you for your kind words.  Yes, there are still a few times now and then still when I get a little boo hoo.  I've always had cats that I adore and they give me love back.  There's a joke in our family that there are more pictures of my late husband and his favorite cat (Fabio) in his lap than there are of my husband and myself.  (Not true but it is funny).

I know my brain knows that I shouldn't take it personally, but sometimes it still hurts...At least though, I do get love from her when I'm laying down as long as I don't even twitch (then she jumps up and leaves the bed).  

She's not mean, just always afraid.  I feel so sad for her.  I can't imagine feeling so afraid so much.  I'm glad I don't have a lot of company because she'd always stay hidden.  At least she's around because it's just myself and Bill here.

I tell her GOD sent her to me because he knew I'd love and take care of her and love her just as she is (on her terms).  She's so beautiful, I wish more people could see how beautiful she is.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I agree with you.  If it weren't for you, that poor little girl would have never made it.  No one else would have had your patience with her.

My guy, Al, is only skittish when someone comes to the door because I haven't had that many people in the house since he's been with me.  He was a little mean and a lot rotten when he was a kitten, but I kept working on him, and now he's my little buddy.  I'm only allowed one hug per day when I first come home (he barely lets me in the door).  He purrs and cuddles, and that's our big moment together before the mischief begins.  He hangs around me a lot more now at 3-1/2, than he used to.

As many cats as I've had over the years, no two were ever alike.  I had a beautiful tuxedo female for a number of years who loved people so much she'd run to the door if the doorbell rang!  She would always sleep next to me wherever I was.  I never had children, but I imagine it's much the same......no matter how many you have, no two are ever alike!  Cat Happy

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde I agree with everything you said.  Katie the cat is perfectly happy as long as no one comes to visit.  Luckily, I don't get a lot of visitors (2 daughters live in other states and the daughter that lives around me is still about 45 or so minutes away and is very busy with 4 children.  I go up to visit her on my way to Drs, etc.  So it all works out.

She does love Bill the cat though.  He puts up with her too....Ha!  She's always trying to snuggle with him and you can imagine if he was a human....after awhile he pushes her away........kinda like, "OK, enough, you're smothering me".  Ha!

All cats are very, very different.  Bill follows me everywhere.  I cannot teach him to fold up his tail.  It drives me crazy because I'm afraid I'll step on it.  

I don't know if you remember, but 2 years ago in May I had both knees replaced.  I do really well with them, but it's not the same as when they're real.

It's a good thing I'm used to cats (me looking down) to avoid them.

I guess some people don't realize how much company cats can be.  I'd be very lonely were it not for Bill and Katie.  I know Bill understands everything I say by his reaction.

The only thing ever that scares him is the trash bag (plastic).  He will head for the hills when I pull out the trash bag.  Other than that, well, he gets into everything.

When I get up in the morning, he's opened cabinets, pulled out things in the cabinet.  Climbed up on everything.  I have to be so careful because he'll get into things no cats have ever thought about.

He loves to jump up on the dining room table (loaded with ummmm....stuff(?) and pluck out the big plastic tub of cat ****** and roll it around the house!  He also has a very small little stuffed cat that has cat ****** in it and he carries it around.  Like I said, life is interesting will Bill the cat!

Have a wonderful weekend and I love 'talking' to all of you ladies.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66Ha!  Your Bill sounds a lot like my Al.  He not only won't "fold up" his tail, I swear he sticks it out there and swishes it around like an arcade game, hoping I'll step on it.  His fur is very long and bushy, so on a few occasions I've caught the tip of it with my foot.  He jumps away and I look down to see a clump of long fur on the floor...........Cat Mad

Laura loves cats!