Honored Contributor

Re: Garmin activity tracker for 6 year old

I could see if she asked for it, sure why not.  Being given one though with expectations seems extreme for a six year old.  I agree it's best not to say anything.

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine I'm curious as to why you think wearing a fitness tracker would make a child (or anyone) "feel bad about themselves".   It's a tool that can encourage all of us to more active. I wear one, my kids all wear them, and my grandchildren are only two, but I can see them asking for them, once they're older.  

All daily activities count toward steps, so kids can still go to the playground, gymnastics, whatever they normally do. And if they have a day without a planned activity.....then maybe fit in a walk before doing a sedentary activity (like using electronics).  Sounds to me like your daughter in law is a good mom!

Honored Contributor

If she is not over weight and is active on her own, I think her mother is setting her up for esteem issues down the road. If she is over weight and not active a tracker may seem like fun for a 6 year old and get her moving more.

Honored Contributor

I don't see an activity tracker as a weight loss tool.  I have one and have never been overweight.  Same with all my family members who have them. 

Trusted Contributor

My 2 youngest had Garmin Activity Trackers when they were 5 & 6.  Lots of young kids in school wear them because their parents are wearing them as well.  They wanted them and it was a game to hit their target each day.  Again all their idea not mine.  I have enough self esteem issues myself so I'm not pushing it on them as well.

The Garmin Vivo-Fit which your granddaughter likely has includes the ability to bank coins from completing certain activities  such as cleaning your room, brushing your teetch, finishing homework etc. Those coins can be used to redeem "rewards" which you as the parent set.  In this case I don't think the Vivo Fit is such a bad idea.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I would also be troubled by 6 year old using a tracker.  To what end?  My nephew and his wife want their 5 year old to stay active too.  To be up and moving and away from her electronic gizmos.  She takes cheerleader classes and in competition.  She takes a Saturday morning swim class.  They take her to the Aquarium and the Science museum a lot.  It's fun and education but she also has to do a lot of walking with those little legs.  I think they want to instill good habits in her that will become a part of who she is.  I don't think a tracker doses that for 5 or 6 year old.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO, I think a tracker on a 6 y/o is ridiculous. I'm guessing she goes to school and is busy there so what more can be done during the week? Maybe your DIL can enroll her in gymnastics or dance class as a better way to get her moving.

Since you mentioned your DIL has horrible image problems, this is just the beginning of her passing this on to her daughter. 

What she needs to try and do is show her a healthy way of eating/snacking, etc. Bribing her with time on an ipad if she excercises isn't the way to to do it.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

My 2 youngest had Garmin Activity Trackers when they were 5 & 6.  Lots of young kids in school wear them because their parents are wearing them as well.  They wanted them and it was a game to hit their target each day.  Again all their idea not mine.  I have enough self esteem issues myself so I'm not pushing it on them as well.

The Garmin Vivo-Fit which your granddaughter likely has includes the ability to bank coins from completing certain activities  such as cleaning your room, brushing your teetch, finishing homework etc. Those coins can be used to redeem "rewards" which you as the parent set.  In this case I don't think the Vivo Fit is such a bad idea.

I just checked out the junior versions of the Garmin.  They look like something most kids would really enjoy!  I can see my granddaughters wanting them in a few years.  

They have excellent reviews on Amazon.  

Honored Contributor

Just want to say that many schools  have cut back on PE classes.  Gymnastics or dance classes for young children are typically 1 hour/ week.   Children (adults too) should fit in some physical activity every day.   

Not sure why anyone is opposed to this.  It has nothing to do with "body image"and is just the right thing to do.  

Honored Contributor

Good grief.  The 6 yr old will be scarred about her body image for the rest of her life.

If someone wants to know where their kids are, fine.  If someone is monitoring their exercise/activity, they are going to warp their kid's sense of body image.  To me, it's abusive.