Respected Contributor

Garmin activity tracker for 6 year old

Just curious from you moms of young kids.  My granddaughter is wearing one of these and her mom wants her to accomplish a certain amount of high level activity daily.  She gets time on her mom's I Pad when she does this.  My sweet DIL has horrible image problems as does her sister, mom, and aunts.  Am I just out of touch, or is this a bit much?  I hate the thought of another generation of women feeling bad about themselves.

Super Contributor

Re: Garmin activity tracker for 6 year old

It is just encouraging healthy exercise. People of all sizes and shapes use trackers. It improves healthy habits and does not body shame. Many doctors recommend them.

Esteemed Contributor

@brandiwine I would think that her mom will pretty much know how much activity she is up to without a tracker. When I was a child, my brothers and I got a ton of exercise, but my one brother had to go the the "hefty" section of the store. Now he weighs less than me! (He runs miles every day) Exercise should be fun, not a chore. If you take your kids outdoors and turn them loose at a park, they will figure out what to do. Or, play ball with them. Heck, when my kids were driving me crazy with fighting, I told them to run around the outside of the house 10 times. Hahaha! When it rained, they made forts out of the living room furniture, or I would play something like of Carnival of the Animals or Royal Fireworks music, and we would pretend we were animals or fireworks. Take away that tablet!

Respected Contributor

Sure excersise is benefical ...

BUT SHE'S SIX .....

Respected Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

Just curious from you moms of young kids.  My granddaughter is wearing one of these and her mom wants her to accomplish a certain amount of high level activity daily.  She gets time on her mom's I Pad when she does this.  My sweet DIL has horrible image problems as does her sister, mom, and aunts.  Am I just out of touch, or is this a bit much?  I hate the thought of another generation of women feeling bad about themselves.

I agree that children need more activity in these days, but you can also over-do the activity which can be too much.  Forcing this little girl to do things just for the sake of image is certainly not good.  Our daughters and granddaughters have been pushed too much to look like models.  Any activity is good instead of looking into any kind of pad all day long.

Honored Contributor

Like it or not, women are judged by their image.  And women lead the pack in doing this to other women.    

Not judging or saying good or bad or shame on. . . just stating a fact.   I don't see this changing any time soon. 

Honored Contributor

"her mom wants her to accomplish a certain amount of high level activity daily." rolleyes.gif

Send her to the playground & call it a day!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

JMO, but were it my six year old daughter I would save the cost of a fitness tracker and enroll her in age appropriate physical activities, such as dance or gymnastics. Develops the brain along with the body in ways that could never be calculated on a computer. A fitness tracker is solitary; a class allows the child to participate with other children and develop much needed social skills.

I would never use food or a tablet as a reward. Time with books, art supplies, games and favorite toys are appropriate rewards as are encouraging words, smiles and hugs from parents.

Respected Contributor

Thank you ladies!  Glad to know I'm not alone in my concerns.  My granddaughter loves to be outside playing and playing different sports.  Now it's becoming a chore with expectations and a disappointed look from mom if she doesn't make her numbers.  I never worried about my son getting enough exercise.  Playing in a park or neighborhood with friends was always enough,   My granddaughter is involved in t-ball, dance, swimming, and a running program via her mom. She's very thin, but healthy.  I find it over the top, but they are the parents and I won't say anything.  I'll just reinforce I love her just the way she is.

Respected Contributor

That’s just crazy. She’s 6.  Can’t a kid be a kid anymore ?