Super Contributor

Re: those of you who get your spices through the mail

On 10/23/2014 RespectLife said:

I would want the whole order replaced as the others have said. Would not want to chance where tiny shreds of glass have gotten into!

I no longer purchase from Penzey's (personal preference) and switched to The Spice House. I have never had breakage with either company. It must take them forever to wrap all those items...but they do it SO well!

I found many things at The Spice House that Penzey's didn't have. I appreciate your suggestion of Savory Spice Shop, Sabatini! I like having another source! I wrote it down...and will probably page you to ask again when I lose the note! LOL

Hi RL. That's actually why I started ordering from The Savory Spice Shop. They had something that Penzey's didn't carry. (fenugreek leaves as opposed to ground fenugreek)
Hope you do order from them one day. Super nice to deal with! Happy cooking!

Valued Contributor

I was with Penzey's from the start and was always pleased but I switched to the Spice House when I found they had more items I liked. The packing with both companies is outstanding. I would like to suggest World Spice out of Seattle. They have some very interesting items.

Regular Contributor

On 10/19/2014 tkins said:

Thank you all so much for all the helpful information and suggestions. I am familiar with Penzeys, but they did not seem to have what I was looking for. . I used to be able to get Spice Hunter products at the Grocery Store and Cost Plus World Market, but we moved and none of our local stores carry it. The main reason I ordered from them, is because we love their Chili Powder Blend (Ingredients are chile pepper, onion, garlic, cocoa powder, oregano, red pepper, cumin, cinnamon, cloves) it is very flavorful without being too spicy and the main ingredient in my enchilada gravy. I got a response to the first email I sent that explained what happened and if they had any suggestions for how to deal with the mess I figured they were experts and might have a good way to clean it up. They responded that they sent a replacement. I sent a second message after thinking about it, that I would like the order replaced and asked for a return label or reimbursement of what it cost me to return it to them. They did say that they want to make it right, so we will see. The customer service rep for Dust Buster said it should be no problem using the Dust Buster to clean it up. It would be cheaper and less hassle to replace the filter. I will have to see what happens with the next response, but in the meantime, I am definitely going to check out Morton & Bassett, The Spice House and Savory Spice Shop. I will keep you posted. Thank you again for taking time to help me out I really appreciate it.

tkins

tkins, would you mind sharing your enchilada gravy recipe? I haven't found one that I felt I could go back to making more than once.

BooBoo

Super Contributor

On 10/24/2014 BooBoo2 said:

Thank you all so much for all the helpful information and suggestions. I am familiar with Penzeys, but they did not seem to have what I was looking for. . I used to be able to get Spice Hunter products at the Grocery Store and Cost Plus World Market, but we moved and none of our local stores carry it. The main reason I ordered from them, is because we love their Chili Powder Blend (Ingredients are chile pepper, onion, garlic, cocoa powder, oregano, red pepper, cumin, cinnamon, cloves) it is very flavorful without being too spicy and the main ingredient in my enchilada gravy. I got a response to the first email I sent that explained what happened and if they had any suggestions for how to deal with the mess I figured they were experts and might have a good way to clean it up. They responded that they sent a replacement. I sent a second message after thinking about it, that I would like the order replaced and asked for a return label or reimbursement of what it cost me to return it to them. They did say that they want to make it right, so we will see. The customer service rep for Dust Buster said it should be no problem using the Dust Buster to clean it up. It would be cheaper and less hassle to replace the filter. I will have to see what happens with the next response, but in the meantime, I am definitely going to check out Morton & Bassett, The Spice House and Savory Spice Shop. I will keep you posted. Thank you again for taking time to help me out I really appreciate it.

tkins

tkins, would you mind sharing your enchilada gravy recipe? I haven't found one that I felt I could go back to making more than once.

BooBoo

Hi BooBoo2

I wouldn't mind at all. The recipe is very flexible and you can make just a little and adjust the heat level to your liking. I like using the granulated bouillon it is easier to adjust It also make a great base for homemade soup.

ENCHILADA GRAVY

¼ Cup Cooking or Peanut Oil

4 – 5 Tablespoons Flour

1 Chicken bouillon cube (or granulated equivalent)

Gebhardt or other Chili powder Blend

2 – 2 ½ Cups water

Heat oil in a heavy skillet or saucepan, whisk in the flour, add the bouillon, when the flour starts to brown add 1 – 1 ½ cups of water, stirring constantly with whisk to prevent lumps, add 1 – 2 Tablespoons of the chili powder blend (to your taste). Let it cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. If the gravy seems to be thick, add little amounts of water until it is not too thick or two thin.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do, I have been making it over 20 years.

tkins

Regular Contributor

On 10/24/2014 tkins said:

tkins

BooBoo

Hi BooBoo2

I wouldn't mind at all. The recipe is very flexible and you can make just a little and adjust the heat level to your liking. I like using the granulated bouillon it is easier to adjust It also make a great base for homemade soup.

ENCHILADA GRAVY

4 – 5 Tablespoons Flour

2 – 2 ½ Cups water

Heat oil in a heavy skillet or saucepan, whisk in the flour, add the bouillon, when the flour starts to brown add 1 – 1 ½ cups of water, stirring constantly with whisk to prevent lumps, add 1 – 2 Tablespoons of the chili powder blend (to your taste). Let it cook for 2 minutes on medium heat. If the gravy seems to be thick, add little amounts of water until it is not too thick or two thin.

tkins

Thanks!!!! Looks easy, I will try it!

Super Contributor

On 11/2/2014 BooBoo2 said:
On 10/24/2014 tkins said:

tkins

BooBoo

Hi BooBoo2

ENCHILADA GRAVY

4 – 5 Tablespoons Flour

2 – 2 ½ Cups water

tkins

Thanks!!!! Looks easy, I will try it!

You are welcome. I forgot to mention it also makes a great base for chicken pot pie.

tkins

Regular Contributor

The A&P stores in central NJ seem to carry Morton & Bassett spices; I've bought them there. Count me as a Penzey's customer; there's a store not too far away from me.
Contributor

I have ordered from My Spice Sage and have been very satisfied. I don't order large quantities of each spice but everything I have purchased has been packaged in zip loc bags and I just transfer them to a container I already have.