New Contributor

Re: those of you who get your spices through the mail

I have ordered from Penzey's....they are good. I am now, however, a devoted fan of Savory Spice Shop. Their customer service is awesome. and I love their products!! I drove 2 hours to Chicago recently to visit their shop in Lincoln Square, and was very impressed. Their stuff is packed so well, it would take a sledge hammer to break something.

Super Contributor

On 10/19/2014 HarleyDi said:

I have ordered from Penzey's....they are good. I am now, however, a devoted fan of Savory Spice Shop. Their customer service is awesome. and I love their products!! I drove 2 hours to Chicago recently to visit their shop in Lincoln Square, and was very impressed. Their stuff is packed so well, it would take a sledge hammer to break something.

Yahoo! Finally someone who agrees with me. Thanks, Harley! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

I've never had breakage with Penzey's either.

I agree the company should replace the entire order, but before just sending it back to them, take a photo of it. Many places don't want you to go through the expense of mailing back garbage, because they can't sell it and just have to trash it anyway.

Call them, explain the situation, and e-mail them the photo if they need proof.

Respected Contributor

Penzey's is terrific. All of our spices come from them. We're lucky that we have a Penzey's shop now (for years we didn't and I ordered from the catalogue or online).

I love their customer service.

I think their prices are very reasonable. I'm surprised they don't charge more, considering the freshness and quality of their spices.

Super Contributor

Thank you all so much for all the helpful information and suggestions. I am familiar with Penzeys, but they did not seem to have what I was looking for. . I used to be able to get Spice Hunter products at the Grocery Store and Cost Plus World Market, but we moved and none of our local stores carry it. The main reason I ordered from them, is because we love their Chili Powder Blend (Ingredients are chile pepper, onion, garlic, cocoa powder, oregano, red pepper, cumin, cinnamon, cloves) it is very flavorful without being too spicy and the main ingredient in my enchilada gravy. I got a response to the first email I sent that explained what happened and if they had any suggestions for how to deal with the mess I figured they were experts and might have a good way to clean it up. They responded that they sent a replacement. I sent a second message after thinking about it, that I would like the order replaced and asked for a return label or reimbursement of what it cost me to return it to them. They did say that they want to make it right, so we will see. The customer service rep for Dust Buster said it should be no problem using the Dust Buster to clean it up. It would be cheaper and less hassle to replace the filter. I will have to see what happens with the next response, but in the meantime, I am definitely going to check out Morton & Bassett, The Spice House and Savory Spice Shop. I will keep you posted. Thank you again for taking time to help me out I really appreciate it.

tkins

Trusted Contributor

I liked visiting the Spice Shop when we were in Chicago. In fact, that's where I got the idea to dehydrate tomato skins to make tomato powder, which I now do every summer. Their tomato powder was quite good.

But I'm from Pennsylvania, so we go to Penzey's. I will order their spices via mail, but we also enjoy visiting their stores as well. On the way back from Vermont over the weekend, we stopped at the Penzey's in Hartford, CT as I had some free coupons I wanted to use before they expired. But well, I can't just walk into Penzey's and come out with only a few things. And as a result, I am now nicely stocked for Christmas baking.

Honored Contributor

I would want the whole order replaced as the others have said. Would not want to chance where tiny shreds of glass have gotten into!

I no longer purchase from Penzey's (personal preference) and switched to The Spice House. I have never had breakage with either company. It must take them forever to wrap all those items...but they do it SO well!

I found many things at The Spice House that Penzey's didn't have. I appreciate your suggestion of Savory Spice Shop, Sabatini! I like having another source! I wrote it down...and will probably page you to ask again when I lose the note! LOL

Respected Contributor

It's never happened to me, but I'd just take out the unbroken jars out of the box with tongs. Hold each jar over the box and dust each jar off with a paper towel. Keep the box with the chili powder and shards in it in case you need to send a picture.

No need to replace the entire order if all the other stuff is not broken. There is no way glass shards can get in a jar or sealed package.

Respected Contributor

I might check out the Spice Shop. I buy from Penzeys currently.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes there is a reason a company has a lot of customers. I applaud the helping hand method of ordering, but sometimes you just short yourself. That would be Bill Penzey's SISTER, he married later in life and has the cutest daughter and twin boys. Request their catalogue for an occasional peek into their life.