Honored Contributor

For the graters and microplanes, I use a brush with soap and water.   Works perfectly.

I'm another who doesn't use sponges.    Just thinking about them grosses me out.

Esteemed Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

@mizree - I use a sponge that has a sponge side and a scrubby side.  I don't think the type of sponge or cloth you use makes much difference.  I just make sure I wash/scrub in the direction of the holes (so opposite of what you would do to shred) or across them, just not against them.  On the back side you can go either direction.  That method has always worked for me whether zester, microplane, or box grater.  A scrub brush would probably work well for the side of a box grater that has the zillion tiny holes.  

@ceekay - I totally agree! This is my method as well.

Honored Contributor

I use sponges.  They don't smell if you let them dry out.  I also put them in the dishwasher when I run it.  I replace them every few weeks. 

Honored Contributor

O-Cedar Scrunge, there are several different ones.

Esteemed Contributor

Speaking of sponges, I used a credit card today to pay for something. You know those plastic containers about two & half by 4 inches you put a cake of soap in for traveling?

The cashier had the bottom (or top?) of one next to her with a sponge cut to fit in it that was wet from an anti-bacterial liquid. If memory serves I think she said Lysol.

After running my card she touched both sides of my card onto it and handed it back to me. She was keeping it just wet enough to dampen cards. She was wearing gloves otherwise I think her fingertips would be in bad shape by the end of the day from that stuff.

Then I stopped at the drive-up ATM where there was one car ahead of me. Before it pulled away I saw an arm come out of the car window and spray the machine from a can and a woman's head popped out of the car window and she looked back at me and yelled "there ya go you're all set".

Esteemed Contributor

I have a thing about kitchen sponges and would not have one.  I use hands to rinse and put things in the dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

I have two microfiber sponges that have a scrub side and a smooth side. I've been using one of them in the kitchen forever. Seriously. Every night I sanitize it in the microwave.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I never use a sponge as they're incubators for bacteria.  My choice is a brush with a handle that holds detergent.  It easily cleans rough surfaces as wellas Teflon.

@Kachina624 Hopefully sponges are microwaved after they're used.

Respected Contributor

I bought a dozen Don Aslett sponges on QVC over a year ago and use them and the big purple sponges from Joy M that came with her villified thyme-based cleaning set, which I liked. Both sponges have a soft microfiber side and a scrubby side. I use them for a day and then they go into the washing machine. Keeps them fresh and they're not wearing out. Of course, I would never grate a sponge, which is what you're doing if you use a sponge to clean a grater. I use a brush for anything like that. 

Respected Contributor

Re: kitchen sponge

[ Edited ]

I like the OXO Good Grips Soap Squirting Palm Brush at Krogers or I suppose Amazon has them. I dont use the soap holder function on it but if the bristles start to get tired you can buy a 2 pak of the brush part seperately. Just google OXO scrub brush.

I like Debbie Meyers (green) sponges for normal hand washing dishes. I like Dawn dishoap w/ antibacterial that I feel helps keep sponges less germy!    Smiley Tongue