Respected Contributor

Re: electric percolator cleaning

@sunshine45 After posting post #4, I did a little Google searching and someone suggested using a dishwashing tablet or the powder form to clean electric coffee pots,  I just tried it on my Farberware and it works pretty well.  My post wasn't that dirty and there are still some stains in it, but I had the cleaner in the house.  It seems like the parts of the pot that were cover with water cleaned very good.  For instance, above the water line spots remained.  But do try this method before you go nuts looking for the "right" cleaner and spend more than you want.  Let us know how you make out. 

Honored Contributor

Just use white vinegar.  You can fill the pot with water and vinegar and let it sit about 30 minutes, or you can perk the water and vinegar and then rinse well.   No need for using a cleaner with more chemicals.

Valued Contributor

Love our electric perc. Clean 1x month with 1/2 cup liquid dishwasher deterg, full of water, cook, wipe; 2 cycles just water.
Honored Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:
Love our electric perc. Clean 1x month with 1/2 cup liquid dishwasher deterg, full of water, cook, wipe; 2 cycles just water.

i love mine also @birdQ13 !

it was my favorite christmas gift from about two years ago i think. 

never liked keurig and was anxious to try something other than my mr coffee. a percolator makes a world of difference in taste.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

thank you all so much for the great suggestions. i have not tried any out yet because i was so busy during the holidays. now that life will get back to normal, i am going to begin trying some of these.

happy new year and letting you all know that you are GREAT resources! Smiley Happy

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I have a stovetop percolator but still don't put it in the dishwasher because it has wood on the handle.  Every so often I give it a good scrubbing with a brillo pad and baking soda.  I also run vinegar through it once in a while.