Honored Contributor

Anything you are reluctant to purchase due to rising prices?

I noticed that I am buying less and less fresh fruit lately.  The prices are outrageous and the quality is disappointing. 

In fact, it seems everything I put in my cart is shockingly expensive.  I don't know how young families or seniors on fixed incomes are making ends meet. it is very worrisome and I don't expect that the prices will ever decrease, no matter the supply chain situation. 

Are there things you've been reluctant to buy since the prices started rising?

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anything you are reluctant to purchase due to rising prices?

Not really.  Food is the one place where I don't bargain.  I like the brands I like and I will buy them.  

I'll buy less clothing and household items, but I won't skimp on what I eat!

PICNIC brand could be less money but Duke's is my favorite, I'll buy it and enjoy every bite!  That's my one luxury!  

If food tastes better, I will eat better and stay healthy!

Honored Contributor

No - there's just me here.  Feeding just one person isn't that costly.  

A lot of my basic canned foods I get by subscrption via Amazon.  Giant savings over supermarket shopping.  

My shopping is mainly perishables - must have vegetables, fruit, eggs, milk. I'm not a big meat eater.

Respected Contributor

a house

Trusted Contributor

Many fresh fruits like strawberries are not in season right now, so the selection is poor and the prices are high. Blueberries are the only thing I have found that look good. Also way up in price but is the case with everything now. I don't buy bananas often because we don't eat them fast enough and I hate to freeze so many of them...but saw the price from across the produce section and was shocked...from 49 cents to 79 cents in one week. DD bought a pkg  of three mini watermelons at Costco and she said they were surprisingly good for December. 
I still buy what I need but am still shocked at the prices. We use a lot of eggs..and they are either fully in stock at higher prices, or there are none at all....not something I can stock up on for very long. Fresh veggies seem to be holding steady but fruit is really going up...oranges are in good supply but they are in season now. Always best to buy in season for the best quality and price.

Esteemed Contributor

The one item I've just about stopped buying is beef. I've never been a great fan of meat anyway. When I see that roasts cost what my entire grocery bill used to cost, albeit many years ago, I just don't think the purchase is worth it. I also started shopping online because my husband has Alzheimer's and because of Covid. Aldi's definitely has the best prices so I buy my groceries there. 

Respected Contributor

We pretty much eat what we want but we do shop for specials.  We have cut down on the things we do not really need but think we do.  I'm still working but plan on retiring  soon so I am trying to think more like I am on a fixed income.  I think more about that now than I use too.  

I'm not sure how some do it.  We have two incomes and just us two now.  House is paid off.  But still expenses that never go away.

Honored Contributor

It has been so long since I bought beef other than hamburger, I wouldn't know how to cook it.  Never have been a big beef eater so haven't missed it.  Last week made a delicious pulled pork roast in slow cooker.   Eat lots of chicken. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

It is great to be able to shop for groceries online, but I noticed if you check it's okay to substitute with another brand if your choice is out of stock, you will be getting a higher priced item in almost all cases.

Honored Contributor

Here's my "take" on inflation:    The minute I read about steel and aluminum tariffs, I bought a car.   (The next year same model went up $10,000).   Now with inflation, my "used" car is worth more than I paid for it......and since Covid, I haven't put many miles on it.   That car is gonna last FOREVER.

♥Surface of the Sun♥