Respected Contributor

Does anybody use this cute little mini bread maker?   Can you give me some hints what works best?

Do I have to use their measuring cup/spoons?  I am drowning in them because every specialty pot has its own.  But I'd rather use my own if it doesn't make a difference.

What kind of bread did you start out with?

How do you like the machine?

Honored Contributor

Re: Zojirushi Breadmaker

[ Edited ]

I've got the full size one. Use the sandwich bread recipe from King Arthur called Arthur Sands something like that. I'll verify here in a minute. When you get one they send you a DVD showing you how to measure and what types of measuring cups and spoons to use, etc.

I'll use mine more in the winter.

They always suggest way to much salt. I never use more then one teaspoon

plenty for one loaf of bread. I use my stainless steel measuring cups and a nice set of measuring spoons.

ONly used mine , now, twice. King Arthur bread machine recipe is the best one so far.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/walter-sands-favorite-bread-machine-bread-recipe

Respected Contributor

@CLEM  I have the mini Zo and have found it to be perfect in every way I've used it.  That said, I have not done a lot of experimentation with it.  I use my own measuring cups and spoons. 

If you buy one, I recommend Bread Machine Magic by Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway.  They break their recipes down for this size machine.  I usually make my own recipe for oatmeal bread by using the book's guideline but swapping out their water for my milk and add more molasses, less sugar and it comes out perfect which just proves there is room to play as long as you don't overload it and keep your ingredients balanced.

I probably make pizza dough most often.  I should use it more than I do.  It's nice for one or two people.

Valued Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

Does anybody use this cute little mini bread maker?   Can you give me some hints what works best?

Do I have to use their measuring cup/spoons?  I am drowning in them because every specialty pot has its own.  But I'd rather use my own if it doesn't make a difference.

What kind of bread did you start out with?

How do you like the machine?

@CLEM  This is what I do whenever I get another new measuring cup.

I take out my old faithful/favorite measuring cup whether it's 1/4 cup, 

1/2 cup, 1 cup etc and pour in water to fill.

Then I pour that particular measuring cup into the new measuring cup.

If it fills the same, then I get to put the many new ones away.  

I have a bunch of extras and currently use one of them  to

scoop my crunchy cat food out. 

Honored Contributor

I give my stuff to a gal  in my church who could use it. Doesn't have much, etc.

Respected Contributor

@Free2be @SharkE @AlohaSun

Thank you all so much for your great suggestions.  Very useful.  I have unpacked mine, and just watched the DVD.  It seems easy, but I am always terrified before start any new gadget.

Have also ordered a bunch of flour, dry yeast, dry milk from King Arthur and am in the process of putting all in various sizes of Lock & Lock.  Then I have to free up a shelf to store all these items except the Zojirushi which is so small that I still can fit it on a shelf in my small pantry.

Have also ordered the "No fuss breadmachine book" from Amazon.  It has gotten great reviews and hope that works for me.  If not, I will try the one @Free2be recommended.

Will report back after my first experiment within the next few days.

Honored Contributor

@CLEM  Do you have the old model (with the window on top) or the newer Maestro one?  I have the old one and it is fabulous!  Never get a bad loaf from it!  I haven't found anybody with the newer model yet!  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  I just got mine , but it has a little window on top.  I am really looking forward to eating my first slice of bread.

Honored Contributor

I got my mini Zo a little over three years ago and have not bought bread from a store since (except for French rolls at Christmas).  I love it.  I use the measuring cup and spoon that came with it except for measurements like 1/4 tsp., etc.--then  I use metal measuring spoons for those.  I just started using the King Arthur flour and I think it does make a difference over the store brands, etc.  I also have changed to a brand of yeast that was recommended here--it was from Amazon and less expensive than Fleishman's.   I like the fact that the machine doesn't take up a lot of space on the counter and if I need to move it, the handle is useful and it is light enough for me to handle it.    I bake bread often so I leave it out  unless I'm having company and want the counter space. I highly recommend it.

Valued Contributor

I bought a mini several years ago and have never made a great loaf. Can someone on here please post an exact recipe and measurements and ingrediants for me so I can try and see if I can do it again. We love fresh bread and if I can get it to bake right we will use it alot. Thx

Becky