Honored Contributor

Re: Your Favorite- Rice or Potatoes?

I like both, but, forced to choose one or the other, I'd choose potatoes.  They're so versatile.

Valued Contributor

I prefer potatoes, there are so many ways of preparing.  I grew up in a family where it was potatoes EVERY night except on the rare occassion we had spagetti.  If my grandmother was cooking for my grandfather, that spagetti went over mased potatoes!

We never had rice until I was married and dh preferred rice.  Now, after 48 years we vary our diet much more that we did in the beginning.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

If you could see the supply of various rices in our pantry, you would know I agree with you. 

Rice is fine with me and a favorite with my husband (although I  take those constant Consumer Reports stories somewhat seriously, because the research  must be conveying some  truth).

We have Uncle Ben's wild and long grain rice, multple boxes of Zatarain's rice mixes, and bags of both jasmine and white long grain.  

We do our share to support the rice industry  and love stir-frys, pilafs and casseroles.

Trusted Contributor

I eat low carb so I no longer eat rice or potatoes but if I could have one back it would definitely be potatoes.  I use cauliflower as a replacement for potato salad or mashed, but there's really no substitute for a baked potato or french fry.

Esteemed Contributor

In general, I prefer potatoes but it really depends on the meal. For example, if I am eating Asian food, rice would definitely be my choice. With burgers, club sandwiches, etc. fries would be perfect.

Honored Contributor

love both, so this is a tough choice.

i will go with basmati rice cooked persian style with a crispy bottom.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

@Goldengate8361 - wow, how can u do it? Carbs are my favorite food group! Couldn't do without them.💗

Frequent Contributor

Rice

Esteemed Contributor

Without a doubt, it would be potatoes for me....although I do like rice, I can't imagine not eating fried potatoes or hash browns occasionally, or baked potatoes with butter and sour cream! My favorite way to eat rice is with butter, salt and pepper....or maybe white gravy! Yes, I realize this is not always a healthy part of a meal, but I think everything in moderation is okay.

Honored Contributor

Such a tough choice for me as I love them both, but I guess I would have to pick Rice, love it so much! Love all kinds of rice too, but my absolutel favorite is White Rice with butter and a bit of sugar, I know not very healthy, but I don't have it that often!